• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

does anyone believe this is an actual 1942/1 overdate Mercury Dime?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Sadly when I went to eBay to look there are several bogus raw 42/41. I would be EXTREMELY cautious of buying any non-certified error/variety. Maybe if it came from a reputable dealer and it is a minor error/variety not worth attribution, but generally speaking treat any raw error/variety coin with a large amount of skepticism. 

Edited by Woods020

On 1/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, Woods020 said:

Sadly when I went to eBay to look there are several bogus raw 42/41. I would be EXTREMELY cautious of buying any non-certified error/variety. Maybe if it came from a reputable dealer and it is a minor error/variety not worth attribution, but generally speaking treat any raw error/variety coin with a large amount of skepticism. 

Thanks Woods! I am looking for a more reasonable price graded version in this case. 

Bill

On 1/19/2022 at 11:19 AM, tj96 said:

Wait a minute!!  Do I see a notch here??

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.15.05 PM.png

It’s been altered to create the illusion of a notch in my opinion. Looks more like just a blob of metal than a true doubling notch. This is what a real Philly 42/41 looks like. This circulated and damaged I can’t say with 100% certainty, but I wouldn’t accept it as real if it was my decision. Others may disagree. Circulation damage makes the identification exponentially more difficult. But it is also used to the advantage of those altering coins, and this seems altered to me to look like a 42/41 with circulation damage. 

image.gif.5e8c69d4cbc4bb7c2e88cd09cb4228b1.gif

On 1/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, Woods020 said:

It’s been altered to create the illusion of a notch in my opinion. Looks more like just a blob of metal than a true doubling notch. This is what a real Philly 42/41 looks like. This circulated and damaged I can’t say with 100% certainty, but I wouldn’t accept it as real if it was my decision. Others may disagree. Circulation damage makes the identification exponentially more difficult. But it is also used to the advantage of those altering coins, and this seems altered to me to look like a 42/41 with circulation damage. 

image.gif.5e8c69d4cbc4bb7c2e88cd09cb4228b1.gif

I would tent to agree. I'm not an expect.  I'd only buy on slabbed. 

But what about this? 

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.44.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.46.13 PM.png

On 1/19/2022 at 11:53 AM, tj96 said:

Couldn't it have taken a hit here and shifted the metal?

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.51.59 PM.png

It certainly could have. I am always very skeptical of these types of situations. I don’t believe that it was just happenstance that it took a hit in just the right place there. I’m sure I’ll miss opportunities in my collecting because of my skepticism, but I’m ok with that. This could be a worn and damaged 42/41, but to me it doesn’t look right and I don’t believe in coincidences when it comes to these situations. The 4 is fairy easily altered. The 1/2 requires more. Hence why I believe there is a hit there. 

I can’t find the listing on eBay. If someone can get a clear reverse picture we can probably settle this definitively if it isn’t too beat up. There is a diagnostic on the reverse. I didn’t worry about going deep but if someone can get it we can know for sure. 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:34 PM, Woods020 said:

It certainly could have. I am always very skeptical of these types of situations. I don’t believe that it was just happenstance that it took a hit in just the right place there. I’m sure I’ll miss opportunities in my collecting because of my skepticism, but I’m ok with that. This could be a worn and damaged 42/41, but to me it doesn’t look right and I don’t believe in coincidences when it comes to these situations. The 4 is fairy easily altered. The 1/2 requires more. Hence why I believe there is a hit there. 

I can’t find the listing on eBay. If someone can get a clear reverse picture we can probably settle this definitively if it isn’t too beat up. There is a diagnostic on the reverse. I didn’t worry about going deep but if someone can get it we can know for sure. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403416879176?hash=item5ded851048:g:KyEAAOSw4W9h42SZ

On 1/19/2022 at 12:38 PM, tj96 said:

I’m on my phone killing time during a never ending conference call, so a bit handicapped. In a legitimate 41/42 Philly there is a die gouge where I circled. It goes from the faces to the stem. I can’t zoom in enough to see if it is there. I’m worried in this condition it may not be visible. 

D87F0B44-95A9-44E4-B244-F2EC7B6BE966.jpeg

This is what you are looking for. Surprisingly hard to find info/pics of die marker. Theoretically this is in a high relief area and should be present despite circulation. 

9D801601-2A1D-4E5B-AB04-F0D6EE28AAD3.jpeg

On 1/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

I'm not clear on how a high bid on eBay equates to the coin being real, and at that price it is fast approaching what I could buy a nicer undamaged slabbed F15 example for on collectors corner PCGS F15 on CC.

Coinbuf you said it looked legit. Im not going to spring for it. Like you said, I'll wait for a graded example.