• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How are you preparing your collection for your heirs?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

Not to be morbid, and hopefully at 39 I have some time to prepare, but I’m curious what others are doing. I’ve currently got mine organized, semi cataloged (needs improvement), and instructions in my safes should something happen. I’m a little worried about raw coins and someone taking advantage, but the graded stuff I instructed to go to HA or GC.

Anyone have ideas in how they have prepared? I would roll over for quite a while in my grave if something happened unexpectedly and my daughter was ripped off. 

For me, it's actually rather easy.  I have no children and my fiancée and I never plan to.  My sister also has no children and no plan to ever have them, either.  Since I'm male and 2 years older than my sister and 8 years older than my fiancée, odds are I'll predecease them both.  They're my planned heirs and my fiancée is a coin collector and my sister, while she isn't a collector, is very well versed in the kinds of coins I have and their values.  So, for me, it's likely never going to be an issue as both my fiancée and sister are well prepared to handle their respective parts of my collections when I die.  However, if something terrible happens and they both predecease me, I may have to find another strategy.  If that happened, I'd likely just make sure I sold it all off before I died because I'd have no heirs at that point.  

Edited by Mohawk

The raw stuff isn't worth much and is mostly a kind of family herloin that I hope they keep. The graded stuff I have a document that explains things - what I hope will go to each son. What I think my wife should sell after I kick it - and I think I'll go first. 

On 1/13/2022 at 11:05 PM, Revenant said:

The raw stuff isn't worth much and is mostly a kind of family herloin that I hope they keep. The graded stuff I have a document that explains things - what I hope will go to each son. What I think my wife should sell after I kick it - and I think I'll go first. 

[🐓:  Me thinks 🤔  this member, having just perused Charmy's dispatch from FUN in the sun, confused herloin with sirloin. For the sake of your lovely journal, the word is "heirloom."]   😉 

On 1/14/2022 at 8:23 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

For the sake of your lovely journal, the word is "heirloom."]   😉 

I think those familiar with my lovely journal will know that my periodic bad spelling is one of its more charming features. ;)

Edited by Revenant

On 1/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, Revenant said:

I think those familiar with my lovely journal will know that my periodic bad spelling is one of its more charming features. ;)

Notice the similarity between herloin and heroin?  Not charming! :makepoint: doh! :facepalm:  (poetic license aside, I do love the homey atmosphere in the older but wiser neck of the woods.) (thumbsu

On 1/14/2022 at 1:53 PM, B.C said:

I just added a note to the safe 

SELL on ETSY 

Make sure they make up a lot of oddities and errors with a 6 figure price tag for each. They should be set for life after they finish. 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:53 PM, B.C said:

I just added a note to the safe 

SELL on ETSY 

On 1/14/2022 at 3:12 PM, Woods020 said:

Make sure they make up a lot of oddities and errors with a 6 figure price tag for each. They should be set for life after they finish. 

Don't forget to get some outright fake coins in there as well.  I'd recommend some base metal 1804 U.S. Silver Dollars and 1911 Canadian Silver Dollars.  Then your heirs will be MILLIONAIRES!!!

Mrs_Spud gets them all if I croak. She’s about 10 years younger than me and no kids. She collects too, not as actively as me though. But she was the secretary of the Charlotte Coin Club when we lived in Charlotte and she knows who to contact there to handle selling my collection if she chooses to do so.

My biggest concern is my daughter isn’t ever going to be knowledgeable about coins. She likes to look through them with me from time to time, and loves seeing odd denominations that far predated her. That’s as far as I ever see her going. And I just worry because a large driver for me is to assemble something worth passing on and worth a meaningful amount that I don’t want to see get sold for pennies on the dollar. But I don’t think there is a magical solution. Leave as good of instructions as I can and hope she finds someone ethical to help her when that time comes. 

Edited by Woods020

On 1/14/2022 at 8:06 PM, Woods020 said:

My biggest concern is my daughter isn’t ever going to be knowledgeable about coins. She likes to look through them with me from time to time, and loves seeing odd denominations that far predated her. That’s as far as I ever see her going. And I just worry because a large driver for me is to assemble something worth passing on and worth a meaningful amount that I don’t want to see get sold for pennies on the dollar. But I don’t think there is a magical solution. Leave as good of instructions as I can and hope she finds someone moral to help her when that time comes. 

I think you nailed it, Woods.  We can only do what we can do, you know?  Not everyone is destined to collect.  But maybe I can offer a suggestion.  Maybe you should at some point much later, since you're only 39 (younger than I by two years) and you'll likely outlive some dealers who are presently active, do some research and leave her a list of reputable dealers or numismatists that she can contact when the time does come for her to inherit and sell your collection.  If you do that homework for your daughter, I'd say that her chances of getting a fair price for everything goes up.  Just a thought.

Do not be anxious for tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is it’s own trouble. 

In other words, I don’t like thinking about it.
I have expensive restored Pioneer and Marantz receivers , along with restored speakers which no one here wants. Because no one likes music.
 A decorative decoy collection which fills 2 rooms. Not much interest in those either. Slabbed coins, ? What are those ? , they ask.
So , yes , I have a problem. I’m kinda stuck. 
Since our friend Quintus is the Socrates of our gatherings , perhaps he’ll have an idea. 

Edited by Dave1384

On 1/13/2022 at 10:19 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Honestly, I have never given it a thought. It's just me, aged 70, my wife, a smidgen younger than me, and my raucous Roosters. Most regrettably, my wife wouldn't know a loupe from a cantaloupe, so right there I'm pretty much dead in the water. There was no plan in the beginning, only compulsion. Now that that feeling has left me I feel dazed. I have no plan, and as I have been counseled, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Wow, you sure know how to hurt a guy with a simple question! 😉 

UPDATE:  I regret to say I had fallen, and could not get up. I was taken to the hospital. There were some gray areas with the X-rays, etc. I was routinely tested for Covid-19. Positive!  I was treated via "infusion" with an Emergency Authorization Use of a new-fangled drug and discharged presumably for later follow-up after the infection abates. First thing I did was self-test my wife. Positive! She went to get formally tested, and was referred to a nearby Urgent Care car. There she was told to go back to the E.R., for treatment of high glucose blood and elevated enzymes.

So your post, which I replied to, has come back to bite me. I am behind a walker. I do not believe the long term prognosis is encouraging. My wife, I repeat, wouldn't know a loupe from a cantaloupe. Bottom line: I should've paid attention closer attention to your post. Let this be a clarion call to all collectors!  🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing, typos, etc.

My properties go to my lady. They will take care of her for the rest of her life.

My collection will go to our son by way of my will. He will not have to pay any taxes and will own the collection at current market value when I pass. His 30 years of being around me has gave him a great understanding of the hobby. He knows I want him to sell off the collection and who to contact to make it happen. I can't sell it for tax reasons. He won't have that problem. 

When my lady passes, all properties will go to our son by way of her will and he will pay no taxes. Not bad for a kid that has never had a job in his life. Truth is, he earned it. Best son a person could ever ask for.  

On 1/13/2022 at 10:16 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I started collecting almost exclusively graded coins for this reason.  Graded coins are much more intuitive for a novice to understand.  They remove a lot of the guesswork.  The market value becomes more established, and the coins are more liquid.  If I cannot accurately grade a coin with 85%+ efficiency, my wife has zero chance.  Anything nice that I get raw, I will have graded to save the headache for the inheritor.

I keep decent records, have many written resources, but I have not written instructions on where/how to sell my coins.  

I agree.  TPG's are what I choose.  They remove questions about authenticity, grade, and identification.  The last can be particularly important for tokens or non-US coins. Important other facts can be added to the back of the slab with a label-maker.  In this way, I think my heirs will at least have a fighting chance of not getting pennies on the dollar.  I like the idea of communicating suggested auction houses or dealers.  I intend to add that to the "fill in the blank" page of my will ASAP.

To those who plan to sell before you pass, I agree that this would be ideal.  The question then becomes: When?  As one who has unexpectantly woken up three times in intensive care and being told once that I may be permanently blind, once that I would not survive the night, and another that I would not survive 48 hours and to get my affairs in order, I can assure you there was not a lot I could do semi-conscious in an ICU bed with various parts of me not functioning.

Even today after cancer, stroke, numerous surgeries, stiches, staples, glue, clips, cauterizing, plates, rods, screws, and significant ongoing organ damage with a poor prognosis, I don't want to sell off everything.  It feels like I'd be throwing in the towel and waiting around to die.  Plus I enjoy coin collecting more now than ever.

I put "Rogaine" on all the slabs so they would have a nice head of heir. But now I can't read some of the labels -- and red heir'd ones are always arguing about their grades. Geeezzz.

On 8/24/2022 at 1:41 PM, RWB said:

I put "Rogaine" on all the slabs so they would have a nice head of heir. But now I can't read some of the labels -- and red heir'd ones are always arguing about their grades. Geeezzz.

I wish I could approach this the way you have, but I no longer can. I am pretty much in the same boat as @Redline68. Worse, as I have [non-jokingly] said before, elsewhere: my wife does not know a loupe from a cantaloupe. I asked her if she knew where my assets were. She said, "I don't know."  I'm dead.