• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love of Copper
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I mentioned that I was thinking about some copper. So today I was looking at some raw very worn 1864 - 1869  2c pieces in-between $20 and $30. On all the coins the word We is worn off .  I know that is the first to go most of the time. They are listed as VG 10 but look more like AG3 . I thought I would post a couple of not very nice shots (the holders are kinda dirty) and get a general consensus if this is something to even consider spending a $20 bill on .After doing some more investigating If they are worth $10 a piece I would be amazed.  Thanks guys. JP

1864.jpg

1864 r.jpg

1869.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

A couple of honest hard working 2 cent coins @J P Mashoke.   I would think that the 1865 might grade slightly higher than the VG10 on that holder perhaps F15 or just sneak into VF20, however as I'm sure you know its the second highest mintage in the series.   So from a straight value standpoint I would not do anything different that the coin world holder its currently in.   I only see the obv photo of the 1869, however from that side the grade on the holder looks slightly optimistic, maybe closer to G06; so even with its slightly lower mintage of 1.5 mil I do not see a reason to spend any money on it.

Of course my opinions are biased on strictly value vs costs equations.   There are many coins that are sent in to be holdered for reasons that have nothing to do with value or cost.

If you are already on the fence on if they are worth it or not that answers your question for you. If you will be picky and buy coins you love you’ll be a much happier collector in the end. And you have said you are buying to leave something for your family. A few nice coins will be much much more to leave than a ton of coins they may not ever be able to sell. 

It sounds corny but the sting of paying for a good coin will fade fast but leave you happy. The agony of buying a bad coin, even if it’s cheap, will haunt you forever. 

Just my opinion, but I would hold out for a coin with a bit more "WE." Something in the VF-XF range. And, if at all possible, I would buy it sight seen, or, at least with good pictures.

Edited by Just Bob
Added missing word

Thanks for the input guys when I saw the ( WE's ) missing it pretty much put up the flag but I still wanted some of the copper collectors opinions it never hurts to ask. Thanks 

Edited by J P Mashoke