• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Um... is this valuable? Appears to be a Brasher Dubloon...

12 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2022 at 3:42 PM, David Winn said:

Okay, so what makes it a fake?

You probably won't get an answer to that........counterfeiters watch these boards and use what is said here to make their fakes better and more deceptive.  We don't outline what exactly is wrong with your piece for that reason.  What I would recommend is looking up photos of genuine Brasher doubloons and comparing your piece to the photos.  Some study and comparison should show you what's wrong with your piece.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, Mohawk said:

You probably won't get an answer to that........counterfeiters watch these boards and use what is said here to make their fakes better and more deceptive.  We don't outline what exactly is wrong with your piece for that reason.  What I would recommend is looking up photos of genuine Brasher doubloons and comparing your piece to the photos.  Some study and comparison should show you what's wrong with your piece.

Apparently, being sick hasn't slowed down your typing. I was using voice to text, and you still beat me.

On 1/8/2022 at 3:49 PM, Just Bob said:

Apparently, being sick hasn't slowed down your typing. I was using voice to text, and you still beat me.

lol I'm finally on the mend, my friend! Can you tell?  I finally slept well last night and slept late today and I'm on the downside, thankfully!!!

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/8/2022 at 3:54 PM, David Winn said:

ah.... thank you for the information..... I also did a magnet test.... it's a fake for sure.

No problem.  A magnet test is a good test to use on any coin that's supposed to be made of a non magnetic metal, such as gold, silver or copper.

Edited by Mohawk

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Calling this counterfeit is a bit misleading, as it was not made to deceive anyone. It is characteristic of a souvenir replica intended for educational or entertainment purposes. These were often given away as promotions or sold in gift shops at museums or historic sites.

I just happen to live within 10 miles of where 1 ship treasure and 1 buried treasure were found and these type of coins are in lots of places. Not quite the same but on the same idea. We call them Tourist Treasures

S20210501_0008.jpg

S20210501_0009.jpg