• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another W quarter
2 2

47 posts in this topic

Very nice over the past two weeks I found two W quarters and a really nice borderline MS 1971 quarter.    Both the W quarters are rough low AU examples, and I agree with you that these are not easy to find now.   I have to think that the roll search guys plucked most out already and I'm sure that most found now will be lower quality; still a fun find no matter the grade.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:54 PM, jtryka said:

I thought they minted 2 million of each one.  I've only received one in change about a year ago.

This is correct 2 million for each W design, nine designs is a total of 18 million minted and released.

Nice find, Hog!! I've found about 8 or so of them since 2019, just getting change and the like.  I think I've been that successful because we have to go to a Laundromat to do laundry, so that means loading up on quarters!  It's been fun to find them, but I've actually been looking for the three lowest mintage circulation issue Canadian quarters for my Whitman folder sets; 1970, 1983 and 1991.  My fiancée actually found the 1991, which is the hardest one with a mintage of 459,000, but the 1970 (mintage 10,302,010) and the 1983 (mintage 13,162,000) continue to elude me.  I know I could just buy them, and I do have several nice 1970 cameo quarters from proof-like sets, but I want to find them in the wild for my Whitman set.  I've actually been looking for the 1970 and 1983 in circulation since I was a kid and no luck.  Ah well.....maybe one of these days!!

On 1/4/2022 at 4:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

This is correct 2 million for each W design, nine designs is a total of 18 million minted and released.

Nice find Hog!  They are rapidly deteriorating in circulation.

Coinbuf- I think we're talking 10 designs and 20 million total.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:29 AM, tj96 said:

I'm wondering of only 2 million of each design would meet the definition of a key date?

That would be neat if it did. I put together 2 full sets of 2019. One in NGC MS65 and a set NGC MS66. Still need 2 more for a 2020 set of NGC MS65. I have a few raw ones also. Figured be cool to pass it down to my kids one of these days. Or maybe grand kids.  They will have a really good start to a collection. 

On 1/17/2022 at 8:17 AM, Hoghead515 said:

That would be neat if it did. I put together 2 full sets of 2019. One in NGC MS65 and a set NGC MS66. Still need 2 more for a 2020 set of NGC MS65. I have a few raw ones also. Figured be cool to pass it down to my kids one of these days. Or maybe grand kids.  They will have a really good start to a collection. 

So glad you started this thread.  When the mint first started this W promotional program, I thought it was a gimmick...  Which of course, I guess it was.  I never pay much attention to it but I was reading about guys finding them. Never thought there was a chance in hell I would ever find one. 

It was late into the program, I think it was Dec 2019. I was at a bank and decided to get some rolls just for the heck of it.  I got 5 rolls.  They were brand new bank wrapped rolls.  I got them home and I pulled out 4 W's!!  Brand new, never been in circulation or spent in commerce anyway!  When I say what these things were going for on eBay, I was hooked! I was laser focused on these things for two years... All of 2020 and 2021.  I was hitting banks within a ten mile radius of my house getting boxes and rolls. I has W's coming out of my butt!!  I couldn't believe it!!

I don't believe the distribution of these things went as planned.

Let me ask you a question: Did you say sets of 2019-W's in a NGC slab?  I'm new here......is that a 5 coin set in one slab?  Each coin in the slab is a 65 and 66?  Do you have a picture of that?

On 1/17/2022 at 10:10 AM, tj96 said:

So glad you started this thread.  When the mint first started this W promotional program, I thought it was a gimmick...  Which of course, I guess it was.  I never pay much attention to it but I was reading about guys finding them. Never thought there was a chance in hell I would ever find one. 

It was late into the program, I think it was Dec 2019. I was at a bank and decided to get some rolls just for the heck of it.  I got 5 rolls.  They were brand new bank wrapped rolls.  I got them home and I pulled out 4 W's!!  Brand new, never been in circulation or spent in commerce anyway!  When I say what these things were going for on eBay, I was hooked! I was laser focused on these things for two years... All of 2020 and 2021.  I was hitting banks within a ten mile radius of my house getting boxes and rolls. I has W's coming out of my butt!!  I couldn't believe it!!

I don't believe the distribution of these things went as planned.

Let me ask you a question: Did you say sets of 2019-W's in a NGC slab?  I'm new here......is that a 5 coin set in one slab?  Each coin in the slab is a 65 and 66?  Do you have a picture of that?

It was 5 different slabs in a set. 1 coin per slab. The 5 different designs. Be pretty neat if they made a 5 coin holder for them. They did at one time for the older proof sets. Ive seen them on the 60s SMS sets. 

On 1/17/2022 at 10:30 AM, Hoghead515 said:

It was 5 different slabs in a set. 1 coin per slab. The 5 different designs. Be pretty neat if they made a 5 coin holder for them. They did at one time for the older proof sets. Ive seen them on the 60s SMS sets. 

Oh okay, got it.  Thanks!

On 1/16/2022 at 10:26 PM, tj96 said:

Nice find Hog!  They are rapidly deteriorating in circulation.

Coinbuf- I think we're talking 10 designs and 20 million total.

You are correct I always think of the 2020 having only 4 because I consider the Tuskegee quarter as part of the series; but that design did not have a W mintmark.

As to any of these being a key date I think you have to consider more than just the mintage number.  Yes 2 million per design is not very much per se; but unlike many low mintage coins of the past I would bet that close to 90% of the W quarters have been found and saved in high uncirculated condition.   So at least for the near term I think the supply will outstrip the demand; fifty years from now could be different.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:31 AM, Coinbuf said:

You are correct I always think of the 2020 having only 4 because I consider the Tuskegee quarter as part of the series; but that design did not have a W mintmark.

As to any of these being a key date I think you have to consider more than just the mintage number.  Yes 2 million per design is not very much per se; but unlike many low mintage coins of the past I would bet that close to 90% of the W quarters have been found and saved in high uncirculated condition.   So at least for the near term I think the supply will outstrip the demand; fifty years from now could be different.

icon_smile_agree.gif

On 1/17/2022 at 1:00 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Those are very cool coin holders. I may have to look into getting a couple of those for my raw ones. 

...arent u suppose to be working or did the snow house bound u today.....

On 1/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, zadok said:

...arent u suppose to be working or did the snow house bound u today.....

We was supposed to but we got snowed in today. I actually had to get out and run the old lady to work. Roads were to bad for her. We got around 8 inches here. They usually wont let us out with that much snow on the roads. 

On 1/17/2022 at 5:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

We was supposed to but we got snowed in today. I actually had to get out and run the old lady to work. Roads were to bad for her. We got around 8 inches here. They usually wont let us out with that much snow on the roads. 

We got KILLED here in the Finger Lakes with the snow!  Thankfully, I work from home, so it didn't impact me in that way aside from not getting a snow day.  You guys in your part of Kentucky got almost as much as we did here, Hog......that's nuts!

On 1/17/2022 at 8:15 PM, Mohawk said:

We got KILLED here in the Finger Lakes with the snow!  Thankfully, I work from home, so it didn't impact me in that way aside from not getting a snow day.  You guys in your part of Kentucky got almost as much as we did here, Hog......that's nuts!

Hey Mohawk-

:popcorn:  xD

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 9.53.13 PM.png

Sadly, I don't have any pics.....I was tied to my computer all day for a work training.  And now it's dark :(  

I'll see if my sister got any pics that I can get uploaded sometime tomorrow.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

...i knew u knew which side ur toast is buttered on....got to take care of the ol'lady....i figured this morn when i got up n had 8"+ that ud got hit too....

On 1/4/2022 at 7:15 AM, Hoghead515 said:

They are getting harder to find. But theres still some out there in the wild. A friend of mine found one and gave it to me. A fairly nice one. I get home from work gonna put it in a coin flip. Just wanted to share it with everyone. Polish_20220104_070826521.thumb.jpg.1ff30bc64dadfd8d486244a1e8cc0663.jpgPolish_20220104_070948318.thumb.jpg.e694bb62084ee9710b789f0fd7da63d0.jpg

Wait! You da ho? I never woulda thunk it. 

On 1/17/2022 at 7:15 PM, Mohawk said:

1 inch of snow mostly on unpaved surfaces in northern Alabama.