• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1793 Liberty Cap 1 cent MS auction prices
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if what I am seeing is correct. I clicked on the NGC Coin Explorer, 1793 Liberty Cap 1 cent MS, and noticed that at an auction, HA lot #2014 1793 Liberty Cap graded AU55 on 02/14/08 sold for $632,500. On 11/07/03, HA lot #9464 a 1793 Liberty Cap graded AU58, a grade higher, sold for $103.50. Could it be that someone was really that lucky to submit the winning bid at $103.50? More than likely, I'm misreading the charts, or a misprint. Could someone explain, I seem to overlook the obvious more frequently the last few years.

Hey @ronnie stein.  I just looked at NGC Coin Explorer and saw the same thing.  If you highlight the Lot #9464 and click on it it will show you what sold for $103.50. I'm not that knowledgeable on these Cents but evidently the type 2 blank was a Liberty Cap blank since they listed it under this title. Hope this helps.(thumbsu

The auction lot says nothing about "1793 Liberty cap." The description reads:

"Undated 1C Large Cent--Type Two Blank Planchet--AU58 PCGS. An unstruck Large Cent planchet that has raised rims and chocolate-brown patina." It sold for $103.50 and could not possibly be mistaken for a dated coin, nor compared to a 1793 coin in value.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F6%2F3%2F2663699%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by RWB

On 12/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, RWB said:

The auction lot says nothing about "1793 Liberty cap."

I don't believe the OP was inquiring about the actual HA auction itself. @ronnie stein  was questioning the information shown on NGC Coin Explorer where the prices shown for the two different 1793 Liberty Cap 1 Cent MS, as he described in his opening post, were drastically different. Why this T-II blank planchet, as shown on the HA website, was listed under the 1793 Liberty Cap auction results on Coin Explorer......I'm not sure. As I mentioned earlier, I am not knowledgeable on this year Cent (Lord knows I would love to have one though). Is this blank planchet a certain size, weight, etc... that would fit the bill for a 1793 Liberty Cap?  And obviously no, you can't compare a blank planchet to a struck coin. (thumbsu

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 11.18.40 PM.jpeg

Who can understand some reasons why a coin can be so different . I was bidding on 2 coins this weekend same date and mint both MS 66 one was yellow toned and the other said toned but it looked more like dirt and grime. The yellow one I got for $20.50 and the dirty one I stopped at $25 but it finally sold for..... ready >>>>>>>>>>>>>$850??? Why I still do not know but it is not as nice as my yellow one LoL  

If that type II planchet was for a 1793 liberty cap it would have had a lettered edge with the edge of 93.  Which of course in that slab would not be visible.  The price paid was more in line with the lower weight plain edge planchet from the Matron head or braided hair coins.  I would expect an actual 1793 planchet to go much higher.

Edited by Conder101