• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No idea what all I just acquired from an antique shop except for the Lincoln's inside the albums.
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2021 at 9:04 PM, GBrad said:

I'm not sure exactly what all I have here in both coins, older albums, and RAYWAY "boards" (pictures 7-10), but I wanted to post these pictures as soon as I got home (couldn't wait!!!!).  I purchased all of these items from a local antique shop this afternoon (not a coin shop).  Being predominantly a Lincoln collector, I couldn't resist purchasing these 3 older Lincoln Whitman albums. Two of them are Whitmans dated 1960 (pictures 5 and 6) but one of them, the large leaflet type album in the picture (first four pics are of this same album to include the product number), I'm not sure if it is a Whitman. I am not very educated when it comes to holders and albums. All of the albums are full of some VERY nice Lincolns.  I have no idea at this point what all they contain but they do have 1909's in them and up to just about every date that really matters for copper Cents.  

Hopefully someone will chime in on this post regarding these RAYWAY boards which are completely new to me (I believe D.W. Lange has a major interest in holders and boards from some articles I have read).  I have not had time to go through any of these coins yet but I did notice several key date Lincoln's in the albums, I'm chomping at the bits right now.  The beige "board" holders are slap full of foreign coins. The foreign coins are predominately older and several of them are silver or contain silver.  One of the boards is full of nice Canadian one cents dating back to 1941, two of them.  The other boards contain Netherland, Canadian, Mexican, Aruba, British, German, you name it, etc..... and there are several really nice tokens in all of this mix as well.  It is going to take me some time to go through all of these coins to see exactly what I have. I will definitely be posting some of them for guidance and learning from the experts here as I know several of you on the forum are very educated on foreign coinage. I am very excited to say the least to start seeing what all I just acquired. I know there are a lot of pics but this is what I was extremely fortunate in obtaining this afternoon.  

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

Quite a nice haul brother. That should keep you busy for a while. 

On 12/18/2021 at 10:14 PM, Lem E said:

Quite a nice haul brother. That should keep you busy for a while. 

Thanks Lem.  I'm not even sure what I have here as I already said.  For all I know at this point, I may have absolutely nothing..... or I may have hit a home run.  Whatever the outcome is it's fine with me.  Just to have this many old coins, tokens, and all the Lincolns, is well worth it to me just to occupy my time and to just look through them to see if there is anything of value or beauty.

I know the antique store owner well.  She has no idea about coins and their value (and I honestly don't either when it comes to foreign coins) but I'm more than eager and willing to learn. Even though I purchased this stuff from her at an incredibly low price, and I'm now the rightful owner with no strings attached, I assured her I would let her know if any of these coins were valuable.  It's a small town here where I live. We take care of each other and watch each other's back.  That's just me, the way I grew up and the way I prefer to live life.  It also makes for excellent friendships.  I would love to find something valuable in this "stash" and be able to take it back and show her.  (thumbsu

On 12/18/2021 at 9:48 PM, GBrad said:

Thanks Lem.  I'm not even sure what I have here as I already said.  For all I know at this point, I may have absolutely nothing..... or I may have hit a home run.  Whatever the outcome is it's fine with me.  Just to have this many old coins, tokens, and all the Lincolns, is well worth it to me just to occupy my time and to just look through them to see if there is anything of value or beauty.

I know the antique store owner well.  She has no idea about coins and their value (and I honestly don't either when it comes to foreign coins) but I'm more than eager and willing to learn. Even though I purchased this stuff from her at an incredibly low price, and I'm now the rightful owner with no strings attached, I assured her I would let her know if any of these coins were valuable.  It's a small town here where I live. We take care of each other and watch each other's back.  That's just me, the way I grew up and the way I prefer to live life.  It also makes for excellent friendships.  I would love to find something valuable in this "stash" and be able to take it back and show her.  (thumbsu

Regardless, it will be fun to go through. If you find something of value, that will just be a bonus.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:54 PM, Lem E said:

Regardless, it will be fun to go through. If you find something of value, that will just be a bonus.

I'm curious if the holders and boards are of any value????🤔

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Whitman Bookshelf albums are covered in Volume Three of my book Coin Collecting Albums---A Complete History and Catalog. The Rayway holders (Wayte Raymond, Inc.) are detailed in Volume One. The Harris Honor-Bilt line will be addressed in a future volume.

If anyone is interested in such things, my books may be found here: http://coincollectingboards.com