• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clashed dies
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I found my first clashed die coin. I know its not worth much and not worth submitting but I thought it was a pretty neat find. Happy to add it to my personal collection in a 2×2 coin flip. Its a 1966. They must have polished the dies and didnt remove it all. Cant really tell much on the pics but I  tried my best to capture it. Cant tell it on obverse. It is most noticable in the eagles wings on the reverse. Coin in hand under a loupe it is very noticable. Its not much of a coin and pretty worn but I thought it was a neat find for me and wanted to share it with whoever is interested. Polish_20211209_193023760.thumb.jpg.a25eafc0021356d45069532c900a2fe7.jpgPolish_20211209_193049282.thumb.jpg.d372e7ce953dabb744e01bc3ac2b309f.jpgPolish_20211209_193152395.jpg.e4661b940c802b550f6e6a7d3faa6930.jpg

Consider other possible causes. Any impact hard enough to transfer into the design (especially near the eagle's shoulder), would likely shatter both dies. (The field - high point - of the convex dies would touch first at center. To transfer into the recessed design requires enough energy to force aside parts of the field before any part of the relief could be touched. The penetration depth into adjacent field would have to be the same as that into the relief....more like a chisel. Also, this is very hard, tough steel.)

Edited by RWB

best die clashing that I've ever seen seems to happen most often on 1814 half dollars.  I have one where you can read "liberty" backwards under the wing on the reverse, clear as day!

On 12/10/2021 at 5:17 PM, jtryka said:

best die clashing that I've ever seen seems to happen most often on 1814 half dollars.  I have one where you can read "liberty" backwards under the wing on the reverse, clear as day!

Yes...but you can't read anything on the relief. Here's a typical early half with string clashing visible in the field - but not in the relief, except for the very lowest portion near Lib's ear.

1813.jpg.4d1bd2a817b83199fdb88316ecd6ded5.jpg

Edited by RWB

@RWB  I recall an explanation for the starfishlike effect but does the clash of the steel titans explain why LIBERTY is virtually indecipherable? 

And what about the reverse... any extra-terrestrial phenomena of note there?   🤔 

On 12/10/2021 at 10:55 AM, RWB said:

The field - high point - of the convex dies would touch first at center.

But the reverse of the quarter is almost all detail with almost no field, so the field areas of the convex obverse could possibly make contact down in the detail of the reverse.

@Hoghead515  Those photographs in your opening post are incredible and I am very curious as to the actual magnifications used, if known.  The views depicted are up close and personal, just the way I like them. I know you are satisfied with them and I have never heard any member criticizing the routine use of megamagnification of coins on this Board, so what gives?  Your photos lend credence to my suspicion that there appears to be a double standard afoot. This matter can be put to rest with transparency. What are we talking about here, low wattage is required in the privacy of one's home, but the sky is the limit when it comes to posting details?  🤔 

On 12/14/2021 at 11:39 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Hoghead515  Those photographs in your opening post are incredible and I am very curious as to the actual magnifications used, if known.  The views depicted are up close and personal, just the way I like them. I know you are satisfied with them and I have never heard any member criticizing the routine use of megamagnification of coins on this Board, so what gives?  Your photos lend credence to my suspicion that there appears to be a double standard afoot. This matter can be put to rest with transparency. What are we talking about here, low wattage is required in the privacy of one's home, but the sky is the limit when it comes to posting details?  🤔 

I just use my cellphone. I use the light on my cookstove. Its got the microwave above it with a light under the microwave shelf. I just try to zoom in the best I can and try to snap it when its not fuzzy. Then I got an app on my phone that I crop the photos with. The name of the app is "Polish."  I need to start experminting with different lighting. So far the stove light works the best. Ive tried others in the house but cant get a good picture for the glare. 

@Hoghead515

Thanks!  The photography is phenomenally good ! 👍 I just cannot seem to process an admonition or ideation that commands anyone not to see more. I want to see it all! MORE not less!

Clashing dies and all we get is "maybe" "idk" "could be" "might be something else" watery, non-committal replies.

Gentlemen, put the toys down (5x/7x) and get yourselves a real lense! 

Great job, HH! (And your writing has improved immeasurably.  Keep up the good work!) 🐓 

On 12/14/2021 at 10:36 PM, Conder101 said:

But the reverse of the quarter is almost all detail with almost no field, so the field areas of the convex obverse could possibly make contact down in the detail of the reverse.

All the field (high on die) would have to be crushed first. The coin does not show that having happened.