• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 D over S or D over D

6 posts in this topic

I agree with I.cutler. Dont believe its an rpm at all. Just strike doubling. Its very common in zinc cents. I find them roll hunting that look just like that around the mintmark on a regular basis. I looked under variety plus and they dont have any rpms listed for this year. 

Edited by Hoghead515

I think it's die deterioration and split plating doubling as well.  Both are very common on zinc Lincoln Cents and add no value to a coin.  Your coin is worth face value.

Welcome to the forum! These zinc cored, copper plated Lincoln's can be a real PITButt.....  Predominately, what you want to look for are split serifs on mint marks to determine if you have an RPM on zinc Lincolns and as well on most all other coins.  This is not to say that you can't have a totally noticeable, and differently placed, mint mark (mm) punched somewhere else in very close proximity to the intended mm on a coin.  I am not in disagreement with the above comments regarding your coin, it definitely appears to be split plating issues showings south/southeast on your coin. There are several known RPM's for this year and mint but can be very difficult to distinguish.  Die deterioration doubling (DDD) and split plating can wreak havoc in thinking you have an RPM on these copper plated zinc Cents when in reality you do not.  There are several good informative websites in which to compare your coins (and NOT YouTube!!!). Varietyvista.com has already been mentioned in this thread but I am going to post another link below for your coin in question.  This link is from Coppercoins.com and is also a great website to study and learn from.  The more knowledge you gain by studying on your own, the better armed you will be in recognizing true mint errors.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.(thumbsu

http://www.coppercoins.com/diesearch.php

Edited by GBrad