• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What NOT to do with your coins. Safe storage practices.

11 posts in this topic

Wow!  Only use to hold funky slabs together   Bought these back when I didn’t know much. They arrived coins loose and slabs open  😂  Rubber bands to the rescue   Itsy might be a good place to sell your unique jewelry 😉

I keep them as momentos to the value of knowledge 🐈

4B728EE4-2476-456A-BBF0-BD6715FFCCF8.jpeg

Edited by James Zyskowski

Great thread.  So many collectors in the past have stored in PVC flips and returned years later to disappointment in seeing green gunk all over their coins.  Also, never assume a coin you buy from a dealer/show is in a safe flip, always use your own.

Please keep in mind that it is not only PVC flips that cause problems.  Some coin pages are PVC.  Put all your safe, non-PVC flips/albums in  a plastic box… and you could have problems with the plastic “gassing off”.

Do yourself some favors and research the plastic you are using.  Pay attention to the “recycling numbers” on the containers you use, and look them up before you store your coins for longer periods.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:06 PM, RWB said:

oh,   and your own fingers and breath.

Oh…. Yes… I forgot to add that too, thanks RWB. And one more thing, these essential oil vaporizers which we have used and enjoy (and any humidifier as far as that goes) are not good for coins whether your coins are stored in flips or not…especially laying on your coin “work table” uncovered. The vapor mist they introduce into the room are not a coins best friend. 

On 12/4/2021 at 10:57 PM, GBrad said:

RWB....My wife just walked by, glanced at my computer, and saw that you said "your" (to my wife 'your', has the ultimate meaning of 'HER') home will resemble a "Greasy-Spoon Diner"....... I tried in vain, and my absolute best, to explain your comment to my wife but she does not like you now. Sorry......:facepalm:

Sorry, but that's the result from atomizing "essential oils" inside your ( "HER" ) house. Droplets fall on everything and, since most are mixed with a carrier oil, they form the same kind of surface coating as cooking oil, bacon fat, etc. Water-based products do not do that and evaporatative air fresheners usually dissipate quickly.

(Note to husbands: "Essential oils" are not oils. They are chemicals, usually water-based, that carry the aromatic essences of plants. These are distilled from real plants and concentrated, mostly for commercial food processing where the "strawberry" essence is added back to the product after it has been "gunked up" for consumption. For nice-smelling "aroma therapy," the aroma essence is homogenized with a volatile oil and sold at outrageous prices to consumers who squirt to about the house (or bedroom) thinking it has some mysterious benefit. Channel #5 would do much the same -- and likely cheaper.)

On 12/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, RWB said:

thinking it has some mysterious benefit.

You ever slept with a diffuser using just one or two drops of Lavender oil???? The diffuser is filled with water and the tiniest bit of concentrated pure plant based oil is added.  Let me tell ya brother...... you will have the best night sleep of your life, period! I was a MAJOR critic of the whole idea until I finally gave in and tried it.  Nothing mysterious about it in my opinion. BUT....regardless, if you use anything that creates moisture, make sure your coins are locked away in an airtight safe or place of storage with some means of dehumidification. And Roger..hey man... I still like ya!!:)(thumbsu   

Humidity - not lavender - does the trick. A cheap ultrasonic humidifier and a bottle of common lavender oil will do the same -- or squeeze an peach into the humidifier.