• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spike head

12 posts in this topic

Nope. I don't believe this is a die crack which is required to be considered a spiked head.  Looks more like a plating blister to me granted this is a 1982 Zinc or newer year model.  Your pic doesn't show the full date but by the appearance of your coin, I'd have to say it is a zincoln..... Not a spiked head.  

On 11/29/2021 at 12:30 AM, GBrad said:

Nope. I don't believe this is a die crack which is required to be considered a spiked head.  Looks more like a plating blister to me granted this is a 1982 Zinc or newer year model.  Your pic doesn't show the full date but by the appearance of your coin, I'd have to say it is a zincoln..... Not a spiked head.  

Na not an actual spike head. I wasn’t sure about the die crack or anything that looks like a spike. I think it’s a die gouge only because I’ve never seen blisters on the profile before. I could be wrong this.

Plating blister

Edit to add:

Notice the "soft and rounded" shape. Looks like an elongated bubble.  Die gouges usually (but not always) have sharp, distinct edges.  Not a perfect description, but it may help.

Since blisters are a defect related to the planchet plating process, they can be found anywhere on the coin. They may be  easier to notice on the flat fields rather than the devices, so maybe that's why you haven't seen them in that location before.

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 11/29/2021 at 8:55 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Plating blister

Edit to add:

Notice the "soft and rounded" shape. Looks like an elongated bubble.  Die gouges usually (but not always) have sharp, distinct edges.  Not a perfect description, but it may help.

Since blisters are a defect related to the planchet plating process, they can be found anywhere on the coin. They may be  easier to notice on the flat fields rather than the devices, so maybe that's why you haven't seen them in that location before.

Under my scope I can see a tiny line leading into the G. I think it is a die crack with a bubble next to it. Either way just looking at it without a scope it looks to be more of what a spike in the head should look like instead of a crack. Although I do have a die cracked penny. If you can’t see it it starts at the W going down to the top back of Lincoln’s ear. Is this  considered what a spike head would be called?64EB728D-1166-4E1F-8E82-C730E1FB8185.thumb.jpeg.43014316dce5007dd191aef14ede1954.jpeg

FC4ED169-B6BB-4393-82E7-DF8AA664DAA7.jpeg

On 11/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, Keith Dee said:

Under my scope I can see a tiny line leading into the G. I think it is a die crack with a bubble next to it. Either way just looking at it without a scope it looks to be more of what a spike in the head should look like instead of a crack. Although I do have a die cracked penny. If you can’t see it it starts at the W going down to the top back of Lincoln’s ear. Is this  considered what a spike head would be called?64EB728D-1166-4E1F-8E82-C730E1FB8185.thumb.jpeg.43014316dce5007dd191aef14ede1954.jpeg

FC4ED169-B6BB-4393-82E7-DF8AA664DAA7.jpeg

Trying to figure out your question here as you have now posted two different coins.  The first coin in your post I have quoted (albeit a very blurry pic) appears to be much more like what a die crack should look like thus producing the so called "spiked head".  Your second pic is of the same coin in the opening post but I cannot make out anything other than the plating blister we have previously mentioned.  

On 11/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, GBrad said:

Trying to figure out your question here as you have now posted two different coins.  The first coin in your post I have quoted (albeit a very blurry pic) appears to be much more like what a die crack should look like thus producing the so called "spiked head".  Your second pic is of the same coin in the opening post but I cannot make out anything other than the plating blister we have previously mentioned.  

No that’s exactly my question was if the first pic was what’s considered a spike head. Sorry for confusing you and throwing up the second picture of the same original penny. It’s a different pic and I figured if there was a different view others could give a better analysis. Plating blister seems to be that definitive answer. With my original statement and stating it’s a spike head I didn’t mean to claim it’s a spike head verity with a die crack. I originally thought die gouge so even that wouldn’t be a spike head I guess. Maybe stating “spike in the head but not a spike head” on the title would of been more appropriate.

Edited by Keith Dee

On 11/29/2021 at 10:07 PM, Keith Dee said:

No that’s exactly my question was if the first pic was what’s considered a spike head. Sorry for confusing you and throwing up the second picture of the same original penny. It’s a different pic and I figured if there was a different view others could give a better analysis. Plating blister seems to be that definitive answer. With my original statement and stating it’s a spike head I didn’t mean to claim it’s a spike head verity with a die crack. I originally thought die gouge so even that wouldn’t be a spike head I guess. Maybe stating “spike in the head but not a spike head” on the title would of been more appropriate.

Your original posted Cent is not a spiked head.  It is also not a die gouge.  The bubble you see behind Lincoln's head is a plating blister, plain and simple, nothing else.  

Edited by GBrad

On 11/29/2021 at 10:14 PM, GBrad said:

Your original posted Cent is not a spiked head.  It is also not a die gouge.  The bubble you see behind Lincoln's head is a plating blister, plain and simple, nothing else.  

Never mind lol

On 11/29/2021 at 10:14 PM, GBrad said:

I think we’ve already got past in acknowledging that it’s blistering bubble and I thought I made that clear but for some reason repeating yourself make me think you think otherwise. I’m not saying it isn’t I’m just saying it looks like a spike in Lincoln’s head regardless what it’s called.