• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 Titanic coin
1 1

24 posts in this topic

It's an ugly medal of some sort, evidently trying to profit from the death of a few thousand people when the RMS Titanic sank in 1912. As JZ noted, unless there's a declaration of precious metal content and purity on the edge, it's merely made of junk metal.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:05 PM, caltx01 said:

Might be one of a series - the 'Obverse' depicts a sailing vessel, certainly nothing to do with the Titanic.

The sailing vessel looks like a depiction of the Titanic to me. Just because it’s not sinking doesn’t mean it’s not🤷🏼‍♂️Just saying.

On 11/27/2021 at 7:50 PM, RWB said:

It's an ugly medal of some sort, evidently trying to profit from the death of a few thousand people when the RMS Titanic sank in 1912. As JZ noted, unless there's a declaration of precious metal content and purity on the edge, it's merely made of junk metal.

There’s always got to be a profit made some where. If it’s commemorative and the only ones making profit are the ones passing it off as a coin right? Nothing wrong with a company making and selling commemorative pieces as long as they aren’t saying it’s silver or gold when it’s not. They have to make money for making it and I see it as memorializing these people.

On 11/27/2021 at 7:21 PM, Patman54 said:

can anyone give me any background on this coin I found 1 on itzy but no information other than 1999

Picture_20211427071429.jpg

Picture_20211427071457.jpg

You said 1999, where is that on this supposed coin, On the edging? Can you get a closer picture of what looks to be the mint mark on the lower left of the captains wheel??

Oh and I’d be careful buying anything off that website itzy. People on that website have no clue on what they’re selling. I see a lot of coins which I even as an amateur coin collector wouldn’t fall for as being errors in the least. Machine doubling coins going for thousands of dollars🙄

Not a nice looking coin it looks like pewter, and I agree with RWB it is kind of morbid. A cool story my mom used to tell was this. Her dad my grandfather worked for the White Star Ship Line in England  as a chef , he was assigned to the HMS Titanic for her first voyage but at the last minute he was transferred to another ship. Lucky for my mom and her 10 siblings I would say  

Not for nothing dut if you don't know wouldn't it be easier to just say that instead of a bunch of negative comments. I didn't ask if it was silver. Also didn't pay anything for them. (Have 2) Simply wanted to know where it came from.  Couldn't find any where other than a post on itzy (see screen shot). Thanks appreciate the help.

Screenshot_20211127-185311_Etsy.jpg

Picture_20210727090718.jpg

On 11/27/2021 at 9:15 PM, Patman54 said:

Not for nothing dut if you don't know wouldn't it be easier to just say that instead of a bunch of negative comments. I didn't ask if it was silver. Also didn't pay anything for them. (Have 2) Simply wanted to know where it came from.  Couldn't find any where other than a post on itzy (see screen shot). Thanks appreciate the help.

Nothing wrong with a $24 free coin Patman , no matter how bad it is . Is it suppose to be Columbus at the wheel

On 11/27/2021 at 9:15 PM, Patman54 said:

Agreed and I hope I didn’t say anything to offend you. As for that website I think I got it wrong and it was something like Esty or something lol. Any I see there is inscription on the edge. Is there anyway to get a pic of it or at least tell us what it says. It looks like more then just a date.

Here is the Numista page on the silver version of this item:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia206412.html

The "Crowned G" mint mark is from  Bayerisches Münzkontor Göde, Germany

Here is their website:

https://www.muenzkontor.de/

Edited by Just Bob

For the sake of clarity: The American Mint is a private company. It is not the United States Mint, and is not affiliated with the US government.

They are a seller of coins, medals, and other collectibles, and, as far as I can tell, do not actually mint any pieces themselves.

Honestly I am not a fan. If I bought something from them once and now I get continued junk in the mail. And they signed me up automatically to easily to receive something is something to review and if I don't want it send it back. Is the charge your account for it. It takes over 10 days to get your money back. I do agree with RWB on one thing. I really don't understand the point in making coins that aren't coins. It's not to mention they charge quite a bit of money for this stuff. I canceled immediately. But I'm glad you told me about the mint I did not know that.