• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dang, this coin collecting stuff is SOOOO addictive
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hmmm.....I think I've seen that 1983 Proof Set before, Bill lol.  But it looks like you've been having some fun, which is good!!! Make sure you post your 1960 dollar up when you get it....I know I'd like to see it.  I really like Canadian stuff....I'm chasing Canadian and German banknotes right now myself and I'm having a blast with it!! Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving gifts to yourself with us.

On 11/26/2021 at 6:16 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Thank goodness for copper and older proof sets. They  fill the gotta buy something at the end of the month cravings 😉
Nice stuff 

They really can!!! I've found that modern world banknotes can do a great job there as well.  If you guys ever feel the urge to try paper and polymer on for size, I'd definitely recommend it!

On 11/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, James Zyskowski said:

C43FD16C-676F-4F6B-B5F3-0C4A4FED2592.jpeg

297714EE-9BBE-468B-A43B-BA4AC4CE033D.jpeg

AF119FCF-C89C-461D-81DD-52132D3C2728.jpeg
Perhaps controversial but bought a while back 

No worries there, James......numismatic items can be controversial.  They really can but it doesn't make them less collectible if they're valid, actual numismatic items.  I've collected a lot of German stuff over the years and I'm getting back into it with banknotes.  In particular, I love Cold War era East and West German banknotes.  Here's where the controversial aspect comes in.....the earliest East German banknotes are actually Nazi notes with little stamps attached by the Soviet Occupation forces after the West adopted the Deutsche Mark.  I hate Nazi stuff, but those Nazi notes with the little stamps are a valid part of the East German currency story, so I'll likely include at least one of them for that reason. I'd say you could consider those notes controversial, but collectible in an area I'm interested in nonetheless.  I also have two Japanese Occupation Notes; one for the Philippines and one for Malaysia and they're definitely controversial as well.  But a part of history, without a doubt.  

Edited by Mohawk

Very nice pieces once again, James.  The Japanese Occupation notes are actually quite pretty, though from a dark moment in history, to be sure.  Mine were both gifts from my late stepmother, so they mean a lot to me for that reason.  They're also a great example of a very valid collectible being potentially controversial, as well.

Edited by Mohawk