• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canda penny clipped planchet
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Trying to find a  worth for this penny having trouble can anyone help please?  The examples I have found don't match year ( don't know if matters) or the position of the clip only ones that I found have the clip on the bottom & 11&12 o'clock this is at 1 o'clock again don't know if matters. Thanks 

Picture_20211925081921.jpg

Picture_20211925081940.jpg

It's a cool find but it's probably only worth a few dollars.  As Bill pointed out, there are a lot of these and they're not in particularly high demand.  I'm active in the Canadian market and the error community in the Canadian market is pretty small.  So you have the small demand/large supply problem.

On 11/25/2021 at 8:48 PM, James Zyskowski said:

I don’t believe they are particularly valuable  but interesting for sure. Then there’s some that have been clipped by bored collectors 😉

I've seen my fair share of "homemade clipped" coins, for sure.  More U.S. than Canadian, but people definitely get bored and take tools to coins up North as well.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo.....isn't it always?

On 11/25/2021 at 9:48 PM, Patman54 said:

So I guess year and date doesn't matter 

Nope.  Not really.  Error collectors pretty much look for errors regardless of year, unless it's a spectacular error that becomes famous, like the U.S. 1955 Doubled Die Cent.  The date very rarely makes a difference in the price of an error and in some cases, it can hurt it.  If you had a key date with an error on it, it would likely be valued less than an example of the same key date without the error.  As an example, I like to collect banknotes.  I really like replacement notes but I don't like errors on my currency.  At all.  Someone could have a star note of the 1954 Canadian $1000 bill (a dream note of mine), but I'd turn down that note with an error, even at a serious discount.  If I'm going to spend the money that note would cost, I'd want it to look right, not have something wrong with it.  Errors don't always mean value.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/25/2021 at 10:14 PM, Patman54 said:

Good information thanks Makes sense to me.

You are very welcome!! I'm so happy I could help you out!!

Sorry here but I'm going to have to give my opinion on this one.  I don't think this is a real mint error clipped planchet based on your pictures. There are certain things to look for on a true clipped planchet, versus a homemade job, and IMHO this one was homemade.  Looks much like a fingernail clipper job to me.  

Edited by GBrad

On 11/26/2021 at 12:14 AM, GBrad said:

Sorry here but I'm going to have to give my opinion on this one.  I don't think this is a real mint error clipped planchet based on your pictures. There are certain things to look for on a true clipped planchet, versus a homemade job, and IMHO this one was homemade.  Looks much like a fingernail clipper job to me.  

Looks legit to me. Fading of the details, Blakesley, the D and portrait on the obv and 1 on the rev look faded/stretchy. The rims do seem kind of sharp at the clip  but I'm chalking that up to lighting/camera angle. 

I think I'm going to have to go with legit. I understand that people do stupid things when they're bored But at the same time if you were going to clip a coin on your own why wouldn't you do one that is worth more. And spend the time to to try to make a penny worth a couple dollars. Besides I did compare it with other pictures it looks legitimate to me as well. I do appreciate all your comments it is helpful to me. 

On 11/26/2021 at 5:26 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Looks legit to me. Fading of the details, Blakesley, the D and portrait on the obv and 1 on the rev look faded/stretchy. The rims do seem kind of sharp at the clip  but I'm chalking that up to lighting/camera angle. 

+1

On 11/26/2021 at 6:20 AM, Patman54 said:

. I understand that people do stupid things when they're bored But at the same time if you were going to clip a coin on your own why wouldn't you do one that is worth more.

Date, type, value, or even denomination should not be used to determine whether a coin has a mint error or has been damaged. I have experimented on coins taken from pocket change, trying to mimic mint errors or damage, without ever looking at the date or mint mark. There is no accounting for why people do what they do.

On 11/26/2021 at 6:26 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Hey Mike.  Now that I look at this coin while I'm awake, I can now see more of the Blakesley effect being present which I totally didn't make out last night.  I was focused so much on the rim, particularly the reverse rim, where the ends of the rim appear to 'curl' inwards towards the field which signaled to me PMD. The obverse rim, to me, also appeared to have a slight curl outwards (ending of rim at top position on obverse). These were just my observations but now that you mentioned some other important criteria I am inclined to change my mind.(thumbsu