• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions on a 1954-S

18 posts in this topic

I was trying to do some more research on a 1954 nickel I have. I couldn’t understand why it had a different toning then any of the other nickels I’ve been searching through. Then I realized it was an S mint. I still have a lot to learn about the mint marks and what not lol.I know the S is for San Francisco mint but do they only do proof strikes I’m assuming? In my search I came across this nickel on eBay. Is this correct or is this person trying to bamboozle someone. I’m not sure what they are trying to show on pic 3 but I don’t see any steps on Monticello so how did this coin get a MS-66 grade?

8032228C-5039-4A21-9F89-876E86949401.png

FE30FA78-FA59-4EC8-99E8-9BFA91292922.png

FA690F46-196E-497C-AF87-3F556E9BFC28.png

Here’s a pic of the one I have. Honestly it looks in better shape then the one being sold on eBay. And I seen his says double steps yet I can’t tell by his pics. Does anyone know of this error? I believe by the looks of mine there is doubling at the bottom. But I don’t have full steps so I really can’t tell from there but neither does his. The third picture of his must be a pic from another nickel because that surely doesn’t look like something that can pass with a MS-66 grade but what do I know. First pic I just lined it up with another Jefferson but you can tell which is the special strike.

CC900241-A2D0-473F-A5B2-70D0AF9B5C00.jpeg

49FB3EA5-E94B-4E0A-B5EE-4A181554411E.jpeg

5B4FB908-6494-4234-A53C-0E313FE56426.jpeg

LemE is your man on them nickles. Hes got lots of knowledge on them. There is no way Id ever give that kind of money for that. If you ever go to buy one that expensive better do some research first. See if you can find any more like it and check the prices. Some people try to charge thousands of dollars for coins that are not worth even face value. Not saying thats the case here but, it could be. I dont know enough about that certain coin.  You will see those kinds of unrealistic crazy prices on sites such as Esty alot. Some people have lost their minds. 

On 11/6/2021 at 8:17 AM, Hoghead515 said:

LemE is your man on them nickles. Hes got lots of knowledge on them. There is no way Id ever give that kind of money for that. If you ever go to buy one that expensive better do some research first. See if you can find any more like it and check the prices. Some people try to charge thousands of dollars for coins that are not worth even face value. Not saying thats the case here but, it could be. I dont know enough about that certain coin.  You will see those kinds of unrealistic crazy prices on sites such as Esty alot. Some people have lost their minds. 

I see those crazy prices on Esty every time a Google a coin. I don’t buy coins from eBay it was just something I came across researching the one I had. My main thing is finding anything I want. If I can’t find it then I wasn’t meant to have it. To many shysters out there trying to make a buck. A hobby is supposed to be relaxing and enjoying not a stress over money kind of thing. 

On 11/6/2021 at 9:00 AM, Keith Dee said:

I see those crazy prices on Esty every time a Google a coin. I don’t buy coins from eBay it was just something I came across researching the one I had. My main thing is finding anything I want. If I can’t find it then I wasn’t meant to have it. To many shysters out there trying to make a buck. A hobby is supposed to be relaxing and enjoying not a stress over money kind of thing. 

Theres several out there that are not like us. They are not into the beauty and hobby side of it. They just see dollar signs and fall victim to greed. Some couldnt care less about the history and all that sorts of stuff. They will price coins at redicilous high prices and hope someone comes by they can tske advantage of. Im glad im not like that. 

On my coin I know you said the toning is normal for coins that old. I’m not doubting you I’ve just never seen it out of all the nickels I’ve searched through. It looks like it’s been sitting on a smokers table for years to get that yellowish tone to it🤣

On 11/6/2021 at 9:05 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Theres several out there that are not like us. They are not into the beauty and hobby side of it. They just see dollar signs and fall victim to greed. Some couldnt care less about the history and all that sorts of stuff. They will price coins at redicilous high prices and hope someone comes by they can tske advantage of. Im glad im not like that. 

Nope not me either. I started my hobby because it’s fun for me. Even if I found the holy grail of coins I wouldn’t run to the nearest auction house to sell it. I definitely would send it in for authentication and grading and put it away for my niece and nephew. Which ever one shows my interest in this hobby will obviously be the one to take it over hopefully respectfully without the greed or sell it if they have to. But none of this is to make money myself.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, Keith Dee said:

Nope not me either. I started my hobby because it’s fun for me. Even if I found the holy grail of coins I wouldn’t run to the nearest auction house to sell it. I definitely would send it in for authentication and grading and put it away for my niece and nephew. Which ever one shows my interest in this hobby will obviously be the one to take it over hopefully respectfully without the greed or sell it if they have to. But none of this is to make money myself.

I might sell it if i came across a big money coin. I dont see no harm in that or selling any coin as far as that goes. Im talking about these crooks that are selling common coins way over price. And lying to people saying they got some big rare coin and it be something you can find in every day pocket change. Theres not a thing wrong with selling your coins if you want to. Im bashing the ones who try to rip people off who dont know any better. 

On 11/6/2021 at 1:55 AM, Lem E said:

If it is an actual DDR, that may change the game and the price.

I just perused this thread again and looked at the pics supplied by @Keith Dee in his opening post. I missed the DDR-801 aspect late last night when I commented.  By the looks of the last pic supplied by Keith, this coin may very well be a DDR even though it is not designated as such on the holder label.  I do see what appears to be doubling on the small pic of the reverse and more in particular the die markers for this variety which are very evident in the zoomed in picture. Even though, if it is a DDR and was not noticed by the TPG or neither was it submitted as a DDR by the submitter of this Jefferson, the last one of these per PCGS that sold at auction earlier this year only went for $336 bucks.  Just a little info here on this one. I still think the seller is a shyster asking what they are asking....... Pfittt..... whatever......

Edited by GBrad

On 11/6/2021 at 9:51 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I might sell it if i came across a big money coin. I dont see no harm in that or selling any coin as far as that goes. Im talking about these crooks that are selling common coins way over price. And lying to people saying they got some big rare coin and it be something you can find in every day pocket change. Theres not a thing wrong with selling your coins if you want to. Im bashing the ones who try to rip people off who dont know any better. 

Sorry if I stated any of that wrong. There’s nothing wrong with anyone selling their coins especially if it’s to buy another one you like to ad to your collection. Im sure I’ll sell a coin here or there myself if a friend comes along and shows interest in it and Im not personally connected to it. Im just saying those that get into coin collecting only to make money off them seem to be the ones to try and pull the wool over your eyes. Most times it’s the ones who want to believe they have something so much that they ignore good advice that they don’t 😂 

On 11/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, GBrad said:

I just perused this thread again and looked at the pics supplied by @Keith Dee in his opening post. I missed the DDR-801 aspect late last night when I commented.  By the looks of the last pic supplied by Keith, this coin may very well be a DDR even though it is not designated as such on the holder label.  I do see what appears to be doubling on the small pic of the reverse and more in particular the die markers for this variety which are very evident in the zoomed in picture. Even though, if it is a DDR and was not noticed by the TPG or neither was it submitted as a DDR by the submitter of this Jefferson, the last one of these per PCGS that sold at auction earlier this year only went for $336 bucks.  Just a little info here on this one. I still think the seller is a shyster asking what they are asking....... Pfittt..... whatever......

Personally if I was to start buying or selling my own coins I’d start with the Red Book. I know a coins only worth what someone will pay for it but if you’re not sure then go by what’s out there. If someone’s got $6000 they are willing to blow on a coin then I guess they ought to be a little more educated in this field. I wouldn’t feel sympathy for that person but it’s still not ok.

On 11/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, GBrad said:

Ok then here’s what may be another stupid question from me. Why isn’t it listed in the Red Book as being a DDR? What gets an error coin in the Red Book when it sells at an auction for an astounding price? Sorry two stupid questions😂

On 11/6/2021 at 1:14 PM, Keith Dee said:

Sorry if I stated any of that wrong. There’s nothing wrong with anyone selling their coins especially if it’s to buy another one you like to ad to your collection. Im sure I’ll sell a coin here or there myself if a friend comes along and shows interest in it and Im not personally connected to it. Im just saying those that get into coin collecting only to make money off them seem to be the ones to try and pull the wool over your eyes. Most times it’s the ones who want to believe they have something so much that they ignore good advice that they don’t 😂 

No. Your fine my friend.