• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You tell me please

15 posts in this topic

Well I hope this is viewable to everyone. I took it from a scope to a LCD tv to my phone camera. I want to get opinions on what y’all believe it to be to get rid of any doubt without having to say what I believe this is. Found this Jefferson nickel in a Loomis roll a couple months back and I put it away for second opinions. I have to give a hint so you’ll at least know what coin. Tell me the year and error then I’ll know without a doubt I have what I think I do. I know it’s not in great shape and the fact it’s not worth a hell of a lot isn’t my concern. I’m just amazed this stuff is still floating around.

CCFA0DDD-AE84-41AC-B36F-B067A4AB74D5.jpeg

Did you check to see if there is an EXACT match at www.doubleddie.com or www.varietyvista.com?  Both have a comprehensive list of RPMs?  They also show die markers for some RPMs

Not interested in playing guessing games.  Go to those sites, tell us which one you think you have, and members can offer confirmation.

Looks like a winner to me. Nice find. Probably the best RPM to find for Jeffs. Can we get full shots of both sides?

Edited by Lem E
Add

On 11/3/2021 at 8:16 PM, Lem E said:

Looks like a winner to me. Nice find. Probably the best RPM to find for Jeffs. Can we get full shots of both sides?

Sure. The best I got for now. I’m going to buy a better scope and one I can transfer pictures to my phone some how. The one I have was given to me by a stamp collector. Thought it would be good for coins but it takes crappy pictures. I don’t think it’s the right light for coins or something but anyway. And thanks Oldhoopster for the advice on that website. I never knew it existed and showed me more about my nickel than the Redbook did. There’s a die scratch between the D in GOD and Jefferson’s chin. It’s barely noticeable in photo but In hand if you tilt the nickel in certain lighting you can see it. This is a tall tale sign I have a 1942 D over horizontal D.

B765A8DD-51B1-4AC8-913F-8D98868BEFB6.jpeg

19F4F3BA-12EA-4F98-A3A8-602E20EAD193.jpeg

On 11/3/2021 at 8:09 PM, Keith Dee said:

Sure. The best I got for now. I’m going to buy a better scope and one I can transfer pictures to my phone some how. The one I have was given to me by a stamp collector. Thought it would be good for coins but it takes crappy pictures. I don’t think it’s the right light for coins or something but anyway. And thanks Oldhoopster for the advice on that website. I never knew it existed and showed me more about my nickel than the Redbook did. There’s a die scratch between the D in GOD and Jefferson’s chin. It’s barely noticeable in photo but In hand if you tilt the nickel in certain lighting you can see it. This is a tall tale sign I have a 1942 D over horizontal D.

B765A8DD-51B1-4AC8-913F-8D98868BEFB6.jpeg

19F4F3BA-12EA-4F98-A3A8-602E20EAD193.jpeg

It’s definitely seen better days but still a keeper. Thanks for the pics.

My main goal in searching Jefferson nickels was to find me a Henning nickel lol but I’m finding everything else but one. I’ve also found a few buffalo nickels and one 1899 V nickel. It’s amazing how this stuffs still floating around.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, Keith Dee said:

My main goal in searching Jefferson nickels was to find me a Henning nickel lol but I’m finding everything else but one. I’ve also found a few buffalo nickels and one 1899 V nickel. It’s amazing how this stuffs still floating around.

Good luck on the Hennings. Keep an eye on that R.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:13 PM, Lem E said:

It’s definitely seen better days but still a keeper. Thanks for the pics.

Oh it has😂 It would be nice if it had sic full steps. I still wouldn’t sell it and that would be some luck if anyone finds a circulated nickel this old with even one full step.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:24 PM, Keith Dee said:

Oh it has😂 It would be nice if it had sic full steps. I still wouldn’t sell it and that would be some luck if anyone finds a circulated nickel this old with even one full step.

Some years it is hard to find uncirculated coins with even one step. Hope you continue to find good stuff in your searches. That D/ HORZ D was a good find.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, Lem E said:

Good luck on the Hennings. Keep an eye on that R.

Yes that’s what I always look at. But there are some out there without the hole in the R. There’s also controversy on there being a 6th unknown date because he apparently claimed to of made 6 dies but only 5 dates have been found. I was told to weigh every date from 1939 to 1953. If they weigh 5.40 then it’s most likely a Henning nickel. 

Edited by Keith Dee

On 11/3/2021 at 8:33 PM, Keith Dee said:

Yes that’s what I always look at. But there are some out the without the hole in the R. There’s also controversy on there being a 6th unknown date because he apparently claimed to of made 6 dies but only 5 dates have been found. I was told that the weigh every date from 1939 to 1953. If they weigh 5.20 then it’s most likely a Henning nickel. 

I just know a few of the major markers like the void in the R and the missing mintmark. I know there are several other things to look for. I don’t roll hunt so I don’t really pay that much attention. Sounds like you know what to look for. I just collect regular Nickels. 

On 11/3/2021 at 9:42 PM, Lem E said:

I just know a few of the major markers like the void in the R and the missing mintmark. I know there are several other things to look for. I don’t roll hunt so I don’t really pay that much attention. Sounds like you know what to look for. I just collect regular Nickels. 

The no mint mark is the biggest give away for any of them not just the 1944 which is what got the old man busted in the first place. But the deformed R isn’t on all his nickels so you can’t always go by that if you do decide to go hunting for one. The weight of his nickels were way over the normal 5grams. This is a mystery as well because has supposedly bought the same blanks the mint used from the same company that makes them for the mint🤷🏼‍♂️ This is just what I’ve been told and could be wrong about how has obtained them but I’ve read from multiple sources that the weight is the key to finding one. Roll hunting is fun you should try it. I’m assuming when you say you collect regular nickels you buy them in mint state right? I don’t know I guess I find it more exciting to find stuff like this and put it in my collection as opposed to buying them and building a collection.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:05 PM, Keith Dee said:

The no mint mark is the biggest give away for any of them not just the 1944 which is what got the old man busted in the first place. But the deformed R isn’t on all his nickels so you can’t always go by that if you do decide to go hunting for one. The weight of his nickels were way over the normal 5grams. This is a mystery as well because has supposedly bought the same blanks the mint used from the same company that makes them for the mint🤷🏼‍♂️ This is just what I’ve been told and could be wrong about how has obtained them but I’ve read from multiple sources that the weight is the key to finding one. Roll hunting is fun you should try it. I’m assuming when you say you collect regular nickels you buy them in mint state right? I don’t know I guess I find it more exciting to find stuff like this and put it in my collection as opposed to buying them and building a collection.

Yea my main collection is all slabbed, but I do have a raw circulated album set as well. All from pocket change.

Edited by Lem E