• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feeder finger damage and strike through?

17 posts in this topic

I’m not sure what to call this. Obvious feeder finger damage. I’ve also seen this posted somewhere else. Only with the same damage in the first pic. Not as extreme as the other two. But can a feeder finger cause the damage seen in the other two pics or did the die come down on it? I know the feeder finger damage happens pretty much common. But a die sticking the feeder finger more then once on the same quarters is this possible or am I looking at this the wrong way and it’s just feeder finger damage? Is this what’s called a progression error?? 

302C1B42-A146-41FE-B36A-B47F9E549B8B.jpeg

E944077F-CFA0-474D-B3C0-77E78FA07C7F.jpeg

On 11/2/2021 at 12:11 PM, Oldhoopster said:

My guess is that some of the debris became dislodged between the time coin 3 was struck and Coin 2

Thus causing a struck through it appears.  Thats a pretty cool succession of coins there.  

Numbering the coins from the top down, it looks like the progression of striking was 1-3-2, with the debris moving slightly to the (viewer's) right. Just an uneducated guess on my part.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, RWB said:

Please explain how this happened on a horizontal press. Thanks.

Well the damage is progressive the lines look like they match up nicely. How it happened is another question

Yes, it is "another question." The feeding/ejection mechanism in a horizontal press differs from the old vertical Ulhorn-type toggle press. Thus, any type of damage to dies and/or coins will differ.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, RWB said:

Please explain how this happened on a horizontal press. Thanks.

I’m not sure. I know very little how these things operate. I’ve just seen my first coin posted by someone else on another site. I believe it was Cointalk but I’m not certain. Anyway they said it was feeder finger damage. At the time I only had coin 3 in my possession. Then I came across coin 1 and 2 a week or two apart. These coins were found in different rolls weeks apart from each other. I think it’s amazing I was able to pair them up. 

Edited by Keith Dee

On 11/2/2021 at 6:06 PM, RWB said:

Yes, it is "another question." The feeding/ejection mechanism in a horizontal press differs from the old vertical Ulhorn-type toggle press. Thus, any type of damage to dies and/or coins will differ.

I spent several hours on the Schuler website and other sites, trying to find a close-up picture or diagram of the feeding and ejecting mechanisms. I did not have any luck. My very uneducated guess would be that the foreign object stuck to the surface of the die, but without being able to see exactly how the press works, I can't say for sure, nor can I account for the scratches. Do you have an idea how this happened?

There are probably patent illustrations -- someplace. I've seen the presses up close, but much of the "guts" are not visible due to protective shielding (This protects against Romulan phaser blasts.)

I can't explain feed finger damage because as far as I can tell they don't have feed fingers.  Of course I also can't understand how the planchet gets into the collar.  The feed mechanism has them coming down from above  edge to edge into the press.  Some how they must fall sideways into the collar, are struck, are pushed out of the collar and fall out of the press. But it can't just be a matter of falling out of the press because at 13 coins per second the struck coin can't fall out of the way fast enough to get out of the way of the next strike.  I really don't understand it.

Edited by Conder101

Inscrutable German engineering. After all, they built working jet aircraft, ballistic missiles, energy dissipating armament, highways with no speed limit, etc., etc.

I have a couple other state quarters I’ll post when I get home and take better photos of them. Pretty much the same scrapes behind the devices on a couple Salt River Bay quarters. One with just light scrapes and another with heavier scrapes and pitting at the end of the scraps. On both quarters the scrapes match up. It’s kind of cool looking in hand. It looks like something exploded in the background of the design. I’m also wondering because these two quarters I’m mentioning have die chips on them that if those are die scraps and the chip off the die got struck through on the coins with the damage?

I'm not sure what the U.S. Mint uses but the newer (I think) horizontal press I've seen in video's look to have a rotary feeder. The planchets are feed into a hopper then driven single file down a vertical "coin exchanger" and positioned for the rotary feeder which nests a planchet and places it in position between the dies. If the presses used at the U.S. Mint used such a feeder/horizontal press I would expect a slight arch to the scrapes left on the die. Just me speculating.