• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member Never Tried Help Please Morgan 2021 Peace 2021

9 posts in this topic

I recenly recived 15 of the new 2021 Morgan / Peace Dollars.  I was curious if these are eligible to be graded for 70 status?  Are there any other certifications we should request.  Are they put in slabs if they are 70?  

I am a rookie and not sure if this is the proper way to manage these coins for gradeing and other gift circumstances?

• Administrator

Hello Raygun99,

Not all coins that come directly from The Mint are going to be 70's.  We will grade and encapsulate the coins no matter what the grade will be.

Thank you,

Lisa

On 10/31/2021 at 8:10 PM, Raygun99 said:

I recenly recived 15 of the new 2021 Morgan / Peace Dollars.  I was curious if these are eligible to be graded for 70 status?  Are there any other certifications we should request.  Are they put in slabs if they are 70?  

I am a rookie and not sure if this is the proper way to manage these coins for gradeing and other gift circumstances?

Welcome to the forums.  Not to be rude, but if you aren't sure how the encapsulation/grading process works, you might want to hold off submitting that many coins at once as your first submittal.    

M1967  Not rude at all.  This would be the first time I have ever submitted for grading.  I purchased the commemorative 2021 Morgan/Peace  to include in a display frame I made.  It occurred to me that some may or not be MS70 and warrant in a graded protective slab.  I was hoping it would be a simple process to send the coins in their current holders sent by the Mint.  I joined NGC to try out the process.  I wish I could do some online chat or speak to them to be sure of the process, and fees.   

On 11/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, Raygun99 said:

M1967  Not rude at all.  This would be the first time I have ever submitted for grading.  I purchased the commemorative 2021 Morgan/Peace  to include in a display frame I made.  It occurred to me that some may or not be MS70 and warrant in a graded protective slab.  I was hoping it would be a simple process to send the coins in their current holders sent by the Mint.  I joined NGC to try out the process.  I wish I could do some online chat or speak to them to be sure of the process, and fees.   

Welcome to the forum the process is quite simple, you send the coins to NGC and NGC will grade and encapsulate them.   There is never a guarantee that you will receive any specific grade especially a 70 grade.   If that is your goal then I would suggest that you have the coins reviewed by a local coin shop (if there is one that you trust) or a trusted collector/numismatist that is close to you.   If those options are not available to you then your only choice is to pick the ones that you think have the best chance or submit the group.   Also check if there are any upcoming coin shows in your area, you might be able to have the coins reviewed by some of the dealers at a show for a small fee.   Clearly sending in 15 coins will be costly so I suggest you exhaust all other options first.

The process to submit is very straight forward, on the NGC home page you will see a blue line about 1/3 down the page with several menu items listed.   Hover over the one titled submit and a drop down menu will appear.   Choose the first item "How to submit" and follow the directions.   One possible solution to your quest is to sell a couple of the raw coins you have and use the proceeds to purchase an already graded 70 coin.   That way you are assured of getting the 70 grade you seek without all the submission costs.

Best of luck with whatever course you choose. 

On NGCs home page click the banner with the new Morgans and Peace.    It has instructions on what to do.   Choose economy at a minimum.  Since it will be your only order there's a $10 handling fee plus the shipping tier.   Select scratch resistant holders at $5 each if you want.  These would be a good practice order for you.   Screen what you got closely if you want 70s.   I had to send some back to the mint because they were damaged.  Some I kept in original box as they couldn't get 70s and some I sent knowing theyll probably get 69s but who knows.  I think I'll get some 70s out of it but wouldn't want to bet on how many.    The online order form works well and prints out the sheets you need to send with order at the end.  Keep your customer copy at the end.    Be sure to read everything and sign the bottom.    I popped all mine out of the capsules and sent in flips as a safety measure.   The capsules open surprisingly hard.  About 30 seconds per to safely open.    I don't want somebody in a hurry doing hundreds of them ripping a capsule open and having the coin go flying.   I don't know how they're doing it but could see issues if that is somebody's job to pop those capsules open all day.  They stick because it's difficult to pull them straight apart at once.

OK I have consolidated all of my 2021 .. of the 16 coins received 2 had visibly slight markings.  The rest look great from my untrained eye.  I am now preparing the the forms and it ask if these are MS or PF?  Can you confirm if this issue is MS or PF.  Also do I need to do anything special regarding the Privy designations

On 11/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, Raygun99 said:

OK I have consolidated all of my 2021 .. of the 16 coins received 2 had visibly slight markings.  The rest look great from my untrained eye.  I am now preparing the the forms and it ask if these are MS or PF?  Can you confirm if this issue is MS or PF.  Also do I need to do anything special regarding the Privy designations

Do they have a mirror finish in the fields?  No?  Then they are MS "Mint State finish.    All you have to do is look at the labels of the rest of them that have been graded to see that.   If you're filling out the online form there's a column for mint mark.  They will know what they are.  Filling out the basics on the form is just a formality so that you can submit the order.