• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2007-S Proof Jefferson nickel Die Chip/Die Crack
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I'm not really sure to say die chip or die crack on this. Its the line between F-S on reverse. Doing research I'm coming up with that, it would be hard for die cracks to appear on proof coins, but does happen time to time. It is in plastic wrapper so I took the best pics I can until I break it out and put the coin in a 2x2 flip. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated thanks. 

20211030_123741.jpg

20211030_123510.jpg

20211030_123612.jpg

On 10/30/2021 at 1:47 PM, Coinbuf said:

Hard to say for sure in the plastic, perhaps a small die gouge as it seems a strange place for a crack to form.

Thanks Coinbuf,  I'll take another pic of it before I transfer it to a 2x2 flip.

On 10/30/2021 at 1:50 PM, J P Mashoke said:

It could be in the plastic and Proof coins are not full proof all the time

Thanks JP, didn't know that. Cool to know. 

My bad it was the plastic. Sorry about that, I'll know next time to take it out and get a better look.

No worries, Joe!! I've made the plastic error myself with proof and mint set coins in the past.  It happens.

~Tom

On 10/30/2021 at 3:07 PM, Hinkle said:

My bad it was the plastic. Sorry about that, I'll know next time to take it out and get a better look.

20211030_140108.jpg

Why was it in soft plastic?

On 10/30/2021 at 6:57 PM, VKurtB said:

Why was it in soft plastic?

It says Littleton Co. On it. I bought it that way at a pawnshop. And a couple of other proofs. Also a few liberty head nickels. 

On 10/30/2021 at 8:13 PM, Hinkle said:

It says Littleton Co. On it. I bought it that way at a pawnshop. And a couple of other proofs. Also a few liberty head nickels. 

Ah yes, Littletons. I get it. Always be careful what you see through soft plastic. It’s why the change was made in 1968. Arguably 1966. 

Edited by VKurtB