• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 reverse proof Eagle mint mark questions.

3 posts in this topic

I have the 2021 reverse proof eagle set of coins and I noticed the type 2 coin had a W mint mark on the obverse side and a S mint mark on the reverse side. I also have a 2021 MS 70 type 2 which also has the W mint mark on the obverse but it doesnt have the S on the reverse. So my question is why does the reverse proof have what looks like two different mint marks.

When i go to the Mints page on that set of coins it says this about the "original design" coins;

Each coin with the original designs bears the “W” mint mark reflecting it’s striking at the West Point Mint. (My reverse proof type 1 coin has no  mint marks at all)

The Mint page says this about the "new design";

Each coin with the new designs bears the “S” mint mark reflecting its striking at the San Francisco Mint. 

So did the mint screw up or what?

On 10/29/2021 at 6:25 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

I have the 2021 reverse proof eagle set of coins and I noticed the type 2 coin had a W mint mark on the obverse side and a S mint mark on the reverse side. I also have a 2021 MS 70 type 2 which also has the W mint mark on the obverse but it doesnt have the S on the reverse. So my question is why does the reverse proof have what looks like two different mint marks.

When i go to the Mints page on that set of coins it says this about the "original design" coins;

Each coin with the original designs bears the “W” mint mark reflecting it’s striking at the West Point Mint. (My reverse proof type 1 coin has no  mint marks at all)

The Mint page says this about the "new design";

Each coin with the new designs bears the “S” mint mark reflecting its striking at the San Francisco Mint. 

So did the mint screw up or what?

The W is not a mint mark. Designer’s initials. The actual letters are AW. Not for the root beer.