• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New discovery 2021 Quarter-Ounce American gold eagles with “W” mint marks
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2021 at 6:33 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Very interesting and a pretty sweet discovery! It'll be interesting to see how many were produced/escaped the mint.

Indeed it will.  This will definitely serve to give the Type 2 AGEs even more attention.  Nice find.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Perhaps not done intentionally, but it was certainly a careless lapse in quality control. The same mistake occurred with two denominations of gold ASEs in 1999, so there's no reason to believe this recurrence will be handled differently.

On 10/30/2021 at 8:54 PM, VKurtB said:

Does anyone know how it was acquired? Choices:

From the bullion sales channel?

From a proof piece purchase from the Mint?

From a Chinese producer?

I wouldn't be surprised if all roads lead to Rosemont or some other similar get-up. When VKurtB was spotted prowling the floor with his Speed Graphic, all negotiations were conducted confidentially by interested parties under the counter and quite possibly before the show.   🤔 :makepoint: doh!:roflmao:

On 11/3/2021 at 1:24 PM, Conder101 said:

Yes via bullion channels, 40 pieces were in one roll.

That explains getting by  the "quickie" look see. What is a typical annual mintage for 1/4 ouncers, bullion strike? Not huge, I'm guessing. Might be a fairly common thing.

Edited by VKurtB

U.S. Mint figures put the total # of 1/4oz Eagles at 152,000 sold, I'm not sure what the splits are though (T1, T2). I read somewhere that another 20 were found, which would bring the current total discovered to 81, plus several other undocumented findings which will raise the total still. I have a feeling there are a lot out there to be found.

https://www.usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/bullion-sales?program=American+Eagle&+AmericatheBeautifulSilverBullion5ozCointype=&+AmericanBuffalotype=&+AmericanEagletype=Sales+totals+by+Month&AmericatheBeautifulSilverBullion5ozCoinSalestotalsbyMonthyear=&AmericatheBeautifulSilverBullion5ozCoinYear-datedcoinssoldyear=&AmericanBuffaloSalestotalsbyMonthyear=&AmericanBuffaloYear-datedcoinssoldyear=&AmericanEagleSalestotalsbyMonthyear=1140&AmericanEagleYear-datedcoinssoldyear=