• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Continental currency coin real or fake

20 posts in this topic

I’m sorry, but when I read the thread title, I knew it was a fake, without even looking at the pictures. The ratio of fake to real of these is many tens of thousands to one.

I understand there are many fakes of this coin. This was inherited as well as many other coins and bills from a collector. Can you tell me from your expertise how you know its fake from the pics. Just curious.

Also wondering if you would know about a 1989 D "gold" Roosevelt dime. It is gold in color but don't believe it is actually gold. I don't have pics to post on here yet but I can later. I appreciate your feedback.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:27 PM, Carignan81 said:

Also wondering if you would know about a 1989 D "gold" Roosevelt dime. It is gold in color but don't believe it is actually gold. I don't have pics to post on here yet but I can later. I appreciate your feedback.

Since there are no gold 89-D Rosies, it is either plated or fake, period. Plated is likeliest, conferring a value of $0.10.

Unless someone can see a R mark for Replica on your fake 76 CC, don't expect details on what's wrong with it. Fakers watch the board very carefully for feedback so they can improve their fakes. The best advice is to look up pics of authenticated examples and compare yours, see how they differ.

I'm with Jonathan and Kurt,

The 76 CC is definitely a fake and the dime is simply plated.  And Jonathan is also correct about not giving out details on how we can tell it's a fake.....these boards are watched by counterfeiters and we don't want to give them any help.  But the chances of ever having a genuine 76 CC that just randomly turns up are very, very slim.  Genuine pieces are outnumbered by fakes to a massive degree.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:42 PM, 124Spider said:

Might one say that the OP's coin "isn't worth a Continental"?  ;)

That would be a very accurate statement, Mark.

On 10/26/2021 at 10:32 AM, Mohawk said:

But the chances of ever having a genuine 76 CC that just randomly turns up are very, very slim.

But you should always look.  Two new ones just turned up this month.  This is NOT a third one.

Edited by Conder101

On 10/27/2021 at 12:12 AM, Conder101 said:

But you should always look.  Two new ones just turned up this month.  This is NOT a third one.

Was that the tin of coins found in Europe?

On 10/27/2021 at 1:12 AM, Conder101 said:

Wow!!! I did not know that Conder.....that's some big news!! How'd I miss that?

On 10/28/2021 at 12:29 AM, Just Bob said:

This picture was posted on the BBC website on 10/20/21:

Here is a link to the story                                         ;

ttps://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-58982457

_121154519_tv071417339.jpg

Can't get the link to open.  I would love to read this article. 

On 10/28/2021 at 12:51 AM, GBrad said:

Can't get the link to open.  I would love to read this article. 

Sorry. I should have tested that link after I posted it. :sorry:It's fixed now.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:23 AM, Just Bob said:

Was that the tin of coins found in Europe?

Yes.

What I can't help but wonder is if the Libertas Americanus medal shown in the tin is one of the originals?  No mention has been made about it

On 11/3/2021 at 10:34 AM, Conder101 said:

Yes.

What I can't help but wonder is if the Libertas Americanus medal shown in the tin is one of the originals?  No mention has been made about it

It’s British media. Chances are the entire illustration is faked.