• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ICG Slab

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I made the mistake some time ago of buying a coin slabbed by ICG (we all make mistakes, and that we neither my first nor my last).  I believe that the grade is reasonably accurate, but I have since come to understand that ICG is not a quality TPG, and that the version of ICG that did this slab was horrible.

My question is simple:  Would I be better off cracking open this one, on the theory that it has more value as a raw coin than as an ICG slab (especially this version of ICG)?

Thanks.  For reference, here are the relevant photos.

Obverse-7798.jpg

Reverse-7799.jpg

Slab.jpg

On 10/24/2021 at 2:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

***DO NOT CRACK THAT***   I hope I said that loud enough, that does not look like and ICG slab but either a PCI or Hallmark.   Can you post a reverse photo of the slab please.

My bad; yes, it's a PCI. Thanks.

But I still ask the same question.

SlabBack.jpg

Edited by 124Spider

Ten digit PCI, both the nine and ten digit cert number slabs are generally seen as well graded to even undergraded at times.   Once PCI went to the fourteen digit cert number, in this style of slab, is when they lost credibility in the marketplace.   I don't have the info with me but I believe that the fourteen digit change was done at the time the company changed hands and the grading became very loose.   After that they went to the newer slab style with the gold border and those are the slabs that you want to stay away from; imo.   A very nice key date coin in a collectable slab that could bring a modest premium just because of the slab to the right buyer, you would very likely be throwing away money by cracking that coin out.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

Ten digit PCI, both the nine and ten digit cert number slabs are generally seen as well graded to even undergraded at times.   Once PCI went to the fourteen digit cert number, in this style of slab, is when they lost credibility in the marketplace.   I don't have the info with me but I believe that the fourteen digit change was done at the time the company changed hands and the grading became very loose.   A very nice key date coin in a collectable slab that could bring a modest premium just because of the slab to the right buyer, you would very likely be throwing away money by cracking that coin out.

Thank you very much; this is very helpful!

Here's my dirty little slab secret.  I actually like these ANACS slabs that everyone seems to hate, on a purely aesthetic level, of course:

ANACS | Sample Slab Values

On 10/25/2021 at 3:38 PM, Conder101 said:

First generation after they bought out the Hallmark equipment and stopped making photoslabs.  Used from around 1991 to 1999.

The slab always looked cheap and the inserts damaged coins. (PCI)

On 10/25/2021 at 9:30 PM, Mohawk said:

Here's my dirty little slab secret.  I actually like these ANACS slabs that everyone seems to hate, on a purely aesthetic level, of course:

ANACS | Sample Slab Values

I tried to like ANACS slabs, but I just can’t. The aesthetics gag me.