• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1885 Morgan

14 posts in this topic

Howdy folks!!! Here is my 1885 Morgan which is another of the ones my father had tucked away. I like this coin and I think it looks good. Theres a small area thats has some toning but its not alot. So tell me what grade yall think this coin would be and as ever thanks for your time.

For two days every time I tried to log on the forum I couldnt due to my adblocker being flooded with over 500 ads a minute. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

1885 Front B.jpg

1885 Front W.jpg

Is that active PVC contamination that I see on the lower obverse and reverse? If so, that coin needs an acetone bath TODAY.

Edit: a closer looks shows that same green color in other places around the rim. That coin needs help now.

Edited by Just Bob

On 10/22/2021 at 12:01 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

10-4 guys I will get on that ASAP. Thanks for the tip.

No problem, Mike!!! Let us know how the patient turns out.

Ok I hit the 1885 with acetone and since over half of the Morgans were kept in the same 2x2 plastic pocket page I guess I will have to do them also. All of them since I dont recall which ones came from it. I wore latex gloves when using the acetone and when I finished the glove where I held the coin at was light green, gloves were blue. Also the little bit of acetone left over was the same light green color but slightly darker.

Anyway heres the coin again;

1885x2FW.jpg

I am just now venturing into Morgans and brand new to grading. I am teaching myself to the best of my ability by reading and looking at and comparing many pictures of various MS grades of Morgans.  Granted, I only have access to pictures, but I try to find the highest quality pictures I can for comparisons. 

I’m going to take a stab at the grade.  Just take into consideration that I am by no means an expert. I’m just an average jo trying to learn. 

I’m going to say it’s most definitely an MS coin. Maybe a 62 or 63. I’ll err on the side of caution and say MS62. That’s my guess. We’ll see what the more knowledgeable among us say. 

There still seems to be a bit of the PVC still on the coin, it is much better but a second bath in clean acetone is what I would recommend.   As to condition it is certainly mint state I would be conservative and say MS62 at best, with a chance at being called MS details scratched.    There are a couple of long scratches that don't look like contact marks from the photos, especially the first photos.   A very nice coin to place in an album but not one that I would consider sending in for grading.

On 10/24/2021 at 4:07 PM, Jblindy said:

I am just now venturing into Morgans and brand new to grading. I am teaching myself to the best of my ability by reading and looking at and comparing many pictures of various MS grades of Morgans.  Granted, I only have access to pictures, but I try to find the highest quality pictures I can for comparisons. 

I’m going to take a stab at the grade.  Just take into consideration that I am by no means an expert. I’m just an average jo trying to learn. 

I’m going to say it’s most definitely an MS coin. Maybe a 62 or 63. I’ll err on the side of caution and say MS62. That’s my guess. We’ll see what the more knowledgeable among us say. 

Not a bad guess. 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, Coinbuf said:

There still seems to be a bit of the PVC still on the coin, it is much better but a second bath in clean acetone is what I would recommend.   As to condition it is certainly mint state I would be conservative and say MS62 at best, with a chance at being called MS details scratched.    There are a couple of long scratches that don't look like contact marks from the photos, especially the first photos.   A very nice coin to place in an album but not one that I would consider sending in for grading.

Just to be on the safe side ill be sure to give it a second bath but you may be seeing a reflection. I reload ammo and I take the pictures on my reloading desk. Ive been using a green ammo can to lay my phone on to take the pictures and if you look the green can be seen at the bottom of the pictures. Where the ammo can is at. (shrug) Ill be sure to use a black can in the future.