• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991 lincoln
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi Cecilia,

I just went through (literally) thousands of pennies from my Dad's change saved up over 50 years.  (Got a good stack of wheat pennies too!)  But I saw that 'tarnishing' on hundreds of them.  No, I don't have an answer as I'm not a chemical metallurgist. But, I'd try hot water and see if it melts (if it is a wax).  Another person suggested Acetone in a previous post to clean it.  My G-Son was practicing some electric welding and used some pennies.  Some just started to melt and kind of looked like that.  I don't see a defined 'burn' but perhaps soldering of some sort?  Good luck with it.  Is there something 'special' about the penny or just a curiosity?

God Bless,

Chris

I'm kinda with PowerMadd on this.  It's not worth one cent.  But - maybe you need a new 'Lucky Penny'?  But it was a good curiosity.  Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,

Chris

It looks like a old fuse panel penny. Not a recommended practice...   Sometimes in a older panel when you blow a fuse and didn't have a replacement people would put a penny in the socket and screw the old one back in for temporary power to that line. The round dent on Lincolns head is a good sign, it looks like the end of a fuse.