• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Lincoln broadstruck or PMD?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

In looking at the photos, I concur with railroad damage.  It just doesn't look like anything that could have happened during the minting process but it does look like a cent laid on a railroad track.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:48 PM, Mohawk said:

In looking at the photos, I concur with railroad damage.  It just doesn't look like anything that could have happened during the minting process but it does look like a cent laid on a railroad track.

But that wouldn’t explain the three distinct strikes on the reverse bottom.also the whatever it is on the smooth obverse is raised above the surface so much you can feel it.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:57 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

But that wouldn’t explain the three distinct strikes on the reverse bottom.also the whatever it is on the smooth obverse is raised above the surface so much you can feel it.

Does not look broadstruck to me, more of a vice job or attempt to make an error.   the fact that the smooth side is raised almost certainly suggests PMD.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:57 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I have to ask......did you ever place a cent on railroad tracks as a kid?  I did, and some of those cents did appear to have multiple images after the train had run over them.  I don't know the exact mechanism that made that happen, but it did happen.  I wish I still had some of those cents to show you here, but this was well over 30 years ago and they're long gone.  

Thanks guys, I’m going with pmd, but can’t figure out why the three strikes are full height while the rest is flattened out, but as Mohawk said, we have all flattened coins on the railroad tracks, and weird things happen.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:06 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thanks guys, I’m going with pmd, but can’t figure out why the three strikes are full height while the rest is flattened out, but as Mohawk said, we have all flattened coins on the railroad tracks, and weird things happen.

Three stacked?