• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to coin photography, estimating grades, and sell on auctions

10 posts in this topic

Hello all, jumped over from the cgc (comics) part of the company and had some questions. I take pictures of coins to have auctioned, and wanted some feed back on best way to do it. Coins by themselves don’t seem to be that hard, but once in slabs I start having issues with glare. And even more problems if they are in the cardboard slab with plastic and staples.  I will post some examples of them at end.

another question is, Key dates, I just photographed  800 different coins and did not even look at a lot of the dates as time didn’t allow. I missed a few coins that are 1k To 5k value and they were just in raw form, if I noticed them I would have had the sent in to be graded. Is there a good link on website to quickly list or show approx value for coins? I’m sure I will start to learn most of the good dates, but I have another 1200 coin lot auction coming up, lol.

most of the people liked my photos but they also said some should have been graded.

here are a few examples, also please do not laugh but these are taken with an iPhone 11..  any recommendations for alternative ways or equipment would be helpful. As we get coins like this weekly, I don’t mind changing equipment to be better for customers.

Thanks for any info, and sorry if this is in the wrong part of forum. Also feel free to give estimate grades on these coins 

michael

94902DF8-339F-4F94-BC52-3E33F3DA22CE.jpeg

FD7FC2FC-52E7-4215-A3F0-EB6E65D6D422.jpeg

28DD21E4-6EDA-4620-B560-3E2EB200CC2E.jpeg

DB729FF9-6517-4A29-825D-EE232BED339C.jpeg

9CF83355-723E-4B39-BB73-8978BE80BB7C.jpeg

59FB9564-FE41-4A27-8FED-541F5EB020B8.jpeg

Order a copy of Mark Goodman's book on coin photography, then come back and post your results.

(Most would avoid an 1889-CC that had not been authenticated.)

On 10/15/2021 at 6:31 PM, Flexgroo said:

As we get coins like this weekly, I don’t mind changing equipment to be better for customers.

First of all welcome to the forum.  Secondly, I have some questions.  Are you a dealer? You say you are getting coins in weekly but previously said this below:

I missed a few coins that are 1k To 5k value and they were just in raw form, if I noticed them I would have had the sent in to be graded. Is there a good link on website to quickly list or show approx value for coins? I’m sure I will start to learn most of the good dates,

With your statement above, how can you say, or know, that "the few coins I missed are 1K to 5K" in value but yet then ask us for a website that quickly lists coin values?  How did you know they were valuable coins without THE knowledge of knowing they were valuable coins?

Also feel free to give estimate grades on these coins 

And if you are a dealer, and your own photographer for selling and presenting coins, then why would you be asking us for our opinion on grades?

I am somewhat confused.  You clearly claim to be getting in 2000 coins weekly (which signals to me you are a dealer), you are taking photos of your coins for auction purposes, you have customers that told you that you should have your coins graded, but then ask us to grade your coins and for websites that can give you prices on your coins???  Something isn't adding up here.  

No, I started taking pictures for an auction company, and those coins sold last week and I was surprised by the finally bids. All I was looking for was info on if I saw a good coin come across my desk, that should be graded before auction, I would let boss know.

thanks

On 10/16/2021 at 3:43 AM, Flexgroo said:

No, I started taking pictures for an auction company, and those coins sold last week and I was surprised by the finally bids. All I was looking for was info on if I saw a good coin come across my desk, that should be graded before auction, I would let boss know.

thanks

It seems odd to me that the two coins you chose as examples of your photograph skills are both high dollar coins and both are in NGC's list of the top 50 most counterfeited US coins. It's too bad they sold last week as I think both are counterfeit.

The 1893 S doesn't show the die scratch on the T in Liberty that NGC says is on genuine coins. The date on the 1889CC looks off to me. I might be wrong, but It would have been to the dealer's financial benefit to have them certified if he thought they were genuine.

Why not mention the name of this auction company? This is a coin forum after all and some members might be interested in checking out the site. 

On 10/15/2021 at 8:40 PM, GBrad said:

First of all welcome to the forum.  Secondly, I have some questions.  Are you a dealer? You say you are getting coins in weekly but previously said this below:

With your statement above, how can you say, or know, that "the few coins I missed are 1K to 5K" in value but yet then ask us for a website that quickly lists coin values?  How did you know they were valuable coins without THE knowledge of knowing they were valuable coins?

And if you are a dealer, and your own photographer for selling and presenting coins, then why would you be asking us for our opinion on grades?

I am somewhat confused.  You clearly claim to be getting in 2000 coins weekly (which signals to me you are a dealer), you are taking photos of your coins for auction purposes, you have customers that told you that you should have your coins graded, but then ask us to grade your coins and for websites that can give you prices on your coins???  Something isn't adding up here.  

Could even be an importer of fake coins.

Something about this thread stinks......it stinks bad enough that if it were in the water, it would attract my alpha-scavenger friend here (sorry about yet another shark joke):

Where tiger sharks roam: Feasting on a whale carcass in Exmouth Gulf -  Oceanographic