• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1/4 Riksdaler Kristina type II

8 posts in this topic

I found this coin in an old family box of things. I do not collect coins so would like to get it to someone who does collect if it is of value/interest.

Is this worth pursuing?

86807D04-6EDF-4D13-A0B0-BAA99FD23253.jpeg

87934B15-6C64-426E-B617-DC1454D1F47C.jpeg

Are you sure that's a 1/4 riksdaler? Do you have a weight?

EDIT: I'm not familiar with these but it looks like a full riksdaler and it might be worth authenticating. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 10/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, D3nny said:

Is that helpful?

Yes. 

That would make it a 1 riksdaler T3. The weight is in the ballpark, if you have a scale that goes to three decimals it would be worth the time to reweigh it. The "look" of it seems a bit off to me but I'm not seeing anything besides that at this point, I would say it seems authentic and it might be worth the cost of authentication. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with these will jump in. 

Never knew He had an "outie".

I'm not an expert on European Thalers, but I don't see anything that raises any Immediate red flags.  It looks like there may have been a mount or loop removed at 12:00.  The weight should be 28.77 grams, so 1.0 ounces is a good sign (best to weigh it in grams to at least 2 digits if possible).  I would wait for other responses from experienced members, however.

Additional info

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces64183.html

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/sweden-riksdaler-km-187-1642-mdcxliv-1644-cuid-1098273-duid-1553552

On 10/11/2021 at 9:32 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The "look" of it seems a bit off to me but I'm not seeing anything besides that at this point, I would say it seems authentic and it might be worth the cost of authentication.

This. It looks slightly off, but nothing that jumps out screaming counterfeit.

If authentic, it's a $2,500+ coin.