• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How am I supposed to weigh coins in holders like this?

23 posts in this topic

Now you've got me stumped on that one, Andrew.  I know of no way to get an accurate weight of a coin in a 2x2.  I've always had to take them out of the holder to get an accurate weight.  Someone else may have a way of doing so, but I'm not sure.  I guess we'll have to see......:popcorn:

~Tom

On 10/9/2021 at 3:32 PM, JKK said:

Just take it out of the flip. They aren't sacred, especially when they have such a pathetic attribution written on them. They wear out anyway, so this'll come about sooner or later.

If that's too much work, take one standard cardboard flip of each size. Leave it empty, but staple it with as many staples as would normally be in a flip. Weigh it and write the weight on it. This makes it into a tare, which you can then use to come pretty close to the weight of future coins in the same size flip by subtracting the tare's weight from the coin that is in a flip. Not perfect, and it would be far better to just take it out, weigh it, and put it in a Saflip, but functional. You'd need a total of seven to cover all the flip sizes: dime, cent, nickel, quarter, modern dollar, half, and cartwheel dollar. You'll get within about .1g, which is close enough.

so these holders are completely useless? I unfortunately only have one coin I can pull out of the whites. (which I believe is a tourist coin from Rome, again unpaid for) I can pull out of because I currently don’t have any other plastic coin flips to put them in, but thanks JKK I will try your method out. I have all sorts of sized coins in these flips but nothing to transfer them to. I’ll have to order a box of non pvc plastic holders when I can. Question JKK. Of eyeing it alone what do you think the grade of this coin is? as you’re the resident expert on 
ancient coinage figure why not ask

Edited by imperatorcoaticus97

If you're going to continue collecting, it's a good idea good idea to have some cardboard 2x2s and Safe-flips (clear mylar, make sure there is no PVC) on hand.  Order some.

If you want an accurate weight, take it out.  Not worth the hassle to save a couple cents.  2x2s are cheap.  One supplier sells 2x2s for $2.39 per hundred.  Buying 100 cent, nickel, quarter, and halves (I put dimes in cent holders) will cost about the same as a fast food lunch.

The 2x2's aren't totally worthless Andrew.  I have my entire Faustina collection in them....but they do wear out and need replacing from time to time.  They're actually a great and economical way to house coins.  I have a big bag of them in a variety of sizes......cent sized for denarii, half dollar sized for asses and dupondii and dollar sized for sestertii.  I also keep a few of the quarter sized ones around for the occasional provincial.  For someone with as varied tastes as you have, I'd buy some of every size available.  They're cheap and then you'll be prepared for whatever catches your eye (thumbsu

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, Oldhoopster said:

If you're going to continue collecting, it's a good idea good idea to have some cardboard 2x2s and Safe-flips (clear mylar, make sure there is no PVC) on hand.  Order some.

If you want an accurate weight, take it out.  Not worth the hassle to save a couple cents.  2x2s are cheap.  One supplier sells 2x2s for $2.39 per hundred.  Buying 100 cent, nickel, quarter, and halves (I put dimes in cent holders) will cost about the same as a fast food lunch.

I’m 24, 25 in feb. Ofc I’m gonna continue collecting, got a lot of years ahead:) and thank you for the info now I can com  back to this and reference it I need to

On 10/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

I’m 24, 25 in feb. Ofc I’m gonna continue collecting, got a lot of years ahead:) and thank you for the info now I can com  back to this and reference it I need to

I'm going to wait for JKK on this one Andrew.....he's much better at Constantinian bronzes than I, and I freely admit that.

@imperatorcoaticus97…… phew…. Glad I was able to type all of that and find your name….. Please look this up:

WIZARD COIN SUPPLY

They sell the all to well known Saflip  2x2’s in bulk and they are 100% PVC free and are extremely affordable and are excellent for storing coins in which I’m sure others here will agree. They say they are sealable but I haven’t tried to seal one yet (actually I did but make sure your clothes iron is not on STEAM or you may burn yourself…). I’m kidding about the iron and steam but they do claim they are sealable, just FYI. 

Edited by GBrad

On 10/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, GBrad said:

@imperatorcoaticus97…… phew…. Glad I was able to type all of that and find your name….. Please look this up:

WIZARD COIN SUPPLY

They sell the all to well known Saflip  2x2’s in bulk and they are 100% PVC free and are extremely affordable and are excellent for storing coins in which I’m sure others here will agree. They say they are sealable but I haven’t tried to seal one yet (actually I did but make sure your clothes iron is not on STEAM or you may burn yourself…). I’m kidding about the iron and steam but they do claim they are sealable, just FYI. 

thanks G brad! As I have no idea what kind of flips (meaning whether they have pvc or not) my coins are in has always bothered me. I’ll definitely be buying some from wizard!!

On 10/9/2021 at 10:55 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

thanks G brad! As I have no idea what kind of flips (meaning whether they have pvc or not) my coins are in has always bothered me. I’ll definitely be buying some from wizard!!

GBrad steered you right.....Wizard is great for supplies!! I've placed many an order with them and I've always been pleased......most of the 2X2's in my little Fausti housing bag have come from Wizard.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:54 PM, Mohawk said:

The 2x2's aren't totally worthless Andrew.  I have my entire Faustina collection in them....but they do wear out and need replacing from time to time.  They're actually a great and economical way to house coins.  I have a big bag of them in a variety of sizes......cent sized for denarii, half dollar sized for asses and dupondii and dollar sized for sestertii.  I also keep a few of the quarter sized ones around for the occasional provincial.  For someone with as varied tastes as you have, I'd buy some of every size available.  They're cheap and then you'll be prepared for whatever catches your eye (thumbsu

You've got it spot on haha. I'll most definitely need all of it. Especially the quarter sized ones because I've got a mulriple GIANT follis looking type coins from the byzantine era. Thanks again Tom! Never fail to come in with the info I most need!

Edited by imperatorcoaticus97

On 10/9/2021 at 3:41 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

I’ll have to order a box of non pvc plastic holders when I can.

Keeping a supply of flips or 2x2s is probably always a good idea. White cotton gloves are nice too.

I had a coin come in recently where the 2x2 was in bad shape and I just immediately took it out to get a better look at it.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:31 AM, Revenant said:

Keeping a supply of flips or 2x2s is probably always a good idea. White cotton gloves are nice too.

I had a coin come in recently where the 2x2 was in bad shape and I just immediately took it out to get a better look at it.

So, so far I’ve been using non latex non blah blah blah medical gloves to handle my coins. Should I switch to cotton? 

On 10/10/2021 at 9:48 AM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

So, so far I’ve been using non latex non blah blah blah medical gloves to handle my coins. Should I switch to cotton? 

For coins I've always heard cotton recommended. They're soft and they don't have the powders and chemicals on them that latex gloves do. I also don't know if latex gloves use the same plasticizers that make pvc so bad for coins.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:55 AM, Revenant said:

For coins I've always heard cotton recommended. They're soft and they don't have the powders and chemicals on them that latex gloves do. I also don't know if latex gloves use the same plasticizers that make pvc so bad for coins.

You want to use gloves that do not shed fibers or other particles.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:17 AM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

lmao @RWB just saw this lollollol 

Good proctical advice.