• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Liberty" cap and related
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2021 at 10:34 AM, DWLange said:

Moore's letter could be the reason that the Classic Head gold coins, initiated during his administration, lacked a cap on Liberty's portrait.

Yes. That was the reason he gave. The same letter (14 pages long) also supports his decision to remove EPU, although that had begun with the quarter a few years earlier.

Jefferson's 1825 reply was basically that he found nothing in his papers about the cap or what was supposed to be "emblematic" of the concept of liberty. He said he remembered nothing about the subject.

@RWB  I have two opinions about this matter, regrettably neither complimentary, but then what would one come to expect from a self-described rank- amateur?

I did not see the term "Phrygian cap" used, but no matter, to me whatever the concept it was meant to symbolize, does nothing to enhance the side-view facial truncated representation of Liberty. In fact, where used, it looks downright unflattering and shabby. Jacqueline Kennedy's pillbox by comparison was simple, fashionable and quite becoming.

The other less complimentary impression I haven't been able to shake is that of the 19th century ruffian selling penny papers wearing, what else?  An oversized newsboy's cap. Fashionable women and ladies attending church services wear fancy hats with wide brims adorned with flowers, ribbons, feathers... or nothing at all.

I believe a simple headband engraved with "LIBERTY" as can be found on many coins works best.

I have no problem deferring or genuflecting to those far more grounded in the hobby that I ever will be.  (worship)

On 10/5/2021 at 7:36 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Fashionable women and ladies attending church services wear fancy hats with wide brims adorned with flowers, ribbons, feathers... or nothing at all.

The ones at my church wear nothing at all. It's a very open and affectionate church...not an Evangelinical in the bunch.

On 10/5/2021 at 6:36 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@RWB  I have two opinions about this matter, regrettably neither complimentary, but then what would one come to expect from a self-described rank- amateur?

I did not see the term "Phrygian cap" used, but no matter, to me whatever the concept it was meant to symbolize, does nothing to enhance the side-view facial truncated representation of Liberty. In fact, where used, it looks downright unflattering and shabby. Jacqueline Kennedy's pillbox by comparison was simple, fashionable and quite becoming.

The other less complimentary impression I haven't been able to shake is that of the 19th century ruffian selling penny papers wearing, what else?  An oversized newsboy's cap. Fashionable women and ladies attending church services wear fancy hats with wide brims adorned with flowers, ribbons, feathers... or nothing at all.

I believe a simple headband engraved with "LIBERTY" as can be found on many coins works best.

I have no problem deferring or genuflecting to those far more grounded in the hobby that I ever will be.  (worship)

They spiced it up with wings for mercs atleast. I don’t see many church ladies wearing hats with wings 😁

...but, but, but...marianne on ur beloved roosters is wearing a phrygian cap...???...

I've only been in a church one single time in my life, and that was to see a silent movie with actual live accompaniment with an organ.  The film was the 1925 Phantom of the Opera.  It was close to Halloween and it was a very cool experience.  No one was wearing any crazy hats, which is the most I can speak to the subject of hats in churches.

To be honest, this hat-wearing spectacle, which includes man and beast, is now most pronounced at the so-called annual Easter Parade which is nothing more than parishioners exiting St. Patrick's Cathedral onto Fifth Avenue after the second late morning service in eye-catching costumes and headwear.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:24 PM, zadok said:

...but, but, but...marianne on ur beloved roosters is wearing a phrygian cap...???...

On 10/5/2021 at 9:34 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

To be honest, this hat-wearing spectacle, which includes man and beast, is now most pronounced at the so-called annual Easter Parade which is nothing more than parishioners exiting St. Patrick's Cathedral onto Fifth Avenue after the second late morning service in eye-catching costumes and headwear.

I am surprised you knew that! I only found out recently that the "horn of plenty" placed to the right of the date was added as an anti-counterfeiting measure.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:38 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am surprised you knew that! I only found out recently that the "horn of plenty" placed to the right of the date was added as an anti-counterfeiting measure.

ye of little faith......

Fashionable women and ladies attending church services wear fancy hats with wide brims adorned with flowers, ribbons, feathers... or nothing at all.

But what did fashionable women in the 1790's wear?  From the first part of Moore 1834 letter it seems that the cap on the capped bust silver coinage was the fashionable headwear in the early 1800's

On 10/6/2021 at 12:06 PM, Conder101 said:

But what did fashionable women in the 1790's wear?  From the first part of Moore 1834 letter it seems that the cap on the capped bust silver coinage was the fashionable headwear in the early 1800's

That was exactly Moore's point. The head gear was part of contemporary fashion, not a symbol of freedom or liberty. His authority was Eckfeldt - who was there almost from the beginning of the Mint and knew the inside stories.

Moore's other point was that Liberty did not wear the "Pileus." The cap was a sign of manumission from slavery and was presented to the freed slave by the Goddess Liberty. It could be placed on a pole or wand, but NEVER worn by Liberty herself.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Apples and oranges---The cap on pole was a pileus and a classical reference. The cap on head was a mob cap, which was a contemporary fashion.

On 10/6/2021 at 12:06 PM, Conder101 said:

lots of bonnets in contemporary drawings etc...guess need to define fashionable first...i always just went with what ive seen martha, abigail n dolly wear in depictions....

All of the US coin Libertys except the early gold wore a married woman's hair covering - or mob cap. (Married women coiled their hair on the head; unmarried woman usually wore the hair down or in braids of some sort. Divorced or widowed women were often ostracized as if they were criminals.)

I might as well come right out and say it:  that hat, however configured then, never ceases to conjure up the specter of one of Walter Disney's sleeping dwarves now, the name of which [fortunately] escapes me, ready access to Google, notwithstanding.  🐓 

On 10/7/2021 at 2:03 PM, RWB said:

All of the US coin Libertys except the early gold wore a married woman's hair covering - or mob cap. (Married women coiled their hair on the head; unmarried woman usually wore the hair down or in braids of some sort. Divorced or widowed women were often ostracized as if they were criminals.)

You have covered all the bases so nicely that I suspect this review will meet with @VKurtB's all-encompassing historical millinery knowledge and an unconditional approval.

🐓 

On 10/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

You have covered all the bases so nicely that I suspect this review will meet with @VKurtB's all-encompassing historical millinery knowledge and an unconditional approval.

🐓 

Much the same way as Amish men stop shaving their beards when they marry. They continue to shave the ‘’stash. 

On 10/7/2021 at 8:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Much the same way as Amish men stop shaving their beards when they marry. They continue to shave the ‘’stash. 

I shaved off my beard for my wife's mother and her more polite, vocal sisters, on July 4, 2016, and got married the next day. I no longer looked like the man she intended to marry and she stared at me uncomfortably. A lot.

This time, 5 years later, she refused to let me cut it, so I did it in stages. Then one day, I asked her very politely: "May I shave it off [during a premature, hot and humid June heat  wave?"]  She put her Bible down, looked at me, said,"Oui," ... and that was the end of it.  It pays to be on the side of the boss.

Why did you give your beard to your wife's mother? Couldn't she grow her own?

On 10/8/2021 at 10:54 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Then one day, I asked her very politely: "May I shave it off [during a premature, hot and humid June heat  wave?"]  She put her Bible down, looked at me, said,"Oui," ... and that was the end of it.

Ahhh....so you caught her in the bathroom!