• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this considered ethical? How do they get by NGC?
1 1

67 posts in this topic

While I'm sure the op is long gone in his fit of rage over the injustice done to him, I would like to point out that PCGS also will have no problem placing blue/purple copper coins in their holders.   It has been known for a very long time that these colors can be easily created, these coins are fully accepted by both the major TPG services on copper of all ages.

Just to be clear I'm not saying these were lab made, simply that the op's complaint has been accepted in the greater market. 

1934cd-obv2.jpg

1931cs-obv2.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

Very good point, Coinbuf.  Now if only I could make NGC understand that ancient copper shouldn't be bodybagged for being lacquered, I'd feel like I won one with them regarding copper.  The lacquer on an ancient could be hundreds of years old and is a part of its story......but I digress.  Sorry about the mini-rant.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

On 10/4/2021 at 10:09 PM, Mohawk said:

Very good point, Coinbuf.  Now if only I could make NGC understand that ancient copper shouldn't be bodybagged for being lacquered, I'd feel like I won one with them regarding copper.  The lacquer on an ancient could be hundreds of years old and it a part of its story......but I digress.  Sorry about the mini-rant.

I second that rant. 

NGC has IMO been wrong about coppers many times. But probably for reasons you may not be aware of. Specifically color on proofs. Its likely due to guarantee once holdered. I am told color is guaranteed for 10 years. Just look at most 1936 proof cents. Most PCGS and NGC graded '36 cents are in old scratched holders because they are no longer RD and cannot be reholdered. Your just gonna have to settle for a RB coin in a RD holder and shut up and sit down if you want one. 

On 10/7/2021 at 2:27 AM, casman said:

Interesting thread.  Why did the OP grade that IHC as AU+?  

Having made references to "western" culture, one can safely assume the OP hales from points east, England or North Wales. The tortured language used suggests "elsewhere."

Once again, grades assigned there, VF, for example, embrace all coins graded here as anywhere from XF-40 to AU-54; complicating the assignment of grades there, is XF / EF, which includes grades from AU-/55 to MS-62, which is not to be confused with Mint State which includes only two grades here: MS-63 and MS-64.  Note:  It should be pointed out that the grade UNC there supersedes MS here with a range of six grades ranging from MS-65 to MS-70.

A grade of AU+ is too indeterminate and therefore unhelpful.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Addition of a missing word.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:27 PM, casman said:

Why did the OP grade that IHC as AU+?  

Because in his vast 40 years of knowledge he didn't learn how to grade and left $1,000 on the table. 

This is very common. The usual response is to lash out at others.