• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 Greece 1 Drachma D.D.O ?

16 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2021 at 12:39 PM, JKK said:

Offhand I'd say die deterioration doubling. No premium.

Hey JKK, I am a bit confused on this one.... I know absolutely nothing about Drachma's. I have however been forced to recently start learning about them due to a friend who gave me a 100+ pound bag of coins (definitely keeping me busy.... :) of which contain numerous foreign coins including Drachma's.  I feel pretty well versed in being able to distinguish true doubling from worthless doubling (but then again I've been wrong more than right....) but the op's coin I am on the fence about. If I am seeing the pics correctly, there appears to be clearly defined, rounded and well formed additional devices here. I may be seeing some very minor flow lines but to me, IMHO, I'm not seeing enough die deterioration to have affected the devices in the manner in which to cause this.  I'm not seeing any reduction in the devices nor do I see any shelf-like appearance (which I know would be MD) so is there a remote possibility this is a DDO?  I don't have a comparable pic of this exact coin to compare the size of the devices to see it they are different but this one would have fooled me if it's not a doubled die based on the op's pics. And lastly, I don't know where to even look up this foreign coin to see if there are any known doubled dies. Thanks.  

They're shelfy. Real DDs tend to have the devices be the same height, not shadowing them at a lower level like the outlines on some football jerseys attempt to portray to give a sense of depth. If you want to see whether it's an authentic DD, search Ebenezer for sold listings of 1984 Greek drachmas. If there is such a thing, people will have transacted it. If you do not find such a thing, it probably does not exist. It is not terribly probable that of all the 1984 Dp1 coins minted, somehow this is an undiscovered error that has escaped notice for 37 years.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:45 PM, Equalibrium said:

Thanks for all the info I will take more closer defined pics 

That won't help. At least, speaking just for myself.

Most world coins that are true double dies or some sort of error have very little interest or premium at all . Not like the US error coins which have a more broad demand and collector followers. You can get an off struck world coin pretty cheap compared to US off struck coin . 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:55 PM, JKK said:

That won't help. At least, speaking just for myself.

Indeed.  I agree 100%.  All of these zoomed in pics coming up around here lately are not helpful......I think we're going to need to post something about this on the Read Before Posting Thread.

I've been trying to find any information on a 1984 Doubled Die Greek 1 Drachma a bit today and I've found nothing.  This coin kind of has me stumped as parts of it look like they could be legit, but most of it does look shelfy to me, too.  I think it would be possible to have a doubled die and machine doubling on the same coin, but the lack of a record of a 1984 Doubled Die Greek 1 Drachma is what really has me stumped.  Jonathan's right.....I think if such a thing existed, there would be some kind of a record of another one.  That being said, Greek coins are not my strongest point.  I know some, but I'm nowhere near an expert on the subject.  But Jason is also correct.....doubled dies and errors on non-U.S. coinage doesn't tend to bring a premium.  I hate to say it, but I just can't commit to an answer on this one right now.

On 9/30/2021 at 7:40 PM, Mohawk said:

Indeed.  I agree 100%.  All of these zoomed in pics coming up around here lately are not helpful......I think we're going to need to post something about this on the Read Before Posting Thread.

I understand it when there is something it would help to examine more closely. This, to me, just doesn't seem like one of those cases. That's actually a credit to the OP, who took good enough shots for us to evaluate it on the first go.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:00 PM, JKK said:

I understand it when there is something it would help to examine more closely. This, to me, just doesn't seem like one of those cases. That's actually a credit to the OP, who took good enough shots for us to evaluate it on the first go.

I agree.  I didn't mean anything about the OP's actual pics.  They're actually quite good.....I should have been clearer.  I was responding to this:

Thanks for all the info I will take more closer defined pics

There have been way too many useless cropped close-ups around here in general.  I need to explain myself better......I got a flu shot on Tuesday and I'm definitely not doing my best work today doh!  Flu shots tend to kick my butt....I should probably just stick to talking about Tiger Sharks in the nature thread until I recover a bit more.

Edited by Mohawk

I’m curious to see where you land with this one. I’ll look at it once and say “textbook MD just very pronounced”. I’ll come back to it and see 3 or 4 places that I’m now saying “I don’t think that can be MD with that split area”. I think it will end up being just severe MD, but it does make you second guess. Or atleast it did me. 

On 9/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, Woods020 said:

I’m curious to see where you land with this one. I’ll look at it once and say “textbook MD just very pronounced”. I’ll come back to it and see 3 or 4 places that I’m now saying “I don’t think that can be MD with that split area”. I think it will end up being just severe MD, but it does make you second guess. Or atleast it did me. 

I'm leaning toward severe machine doubling myself more as I think about it.  But it is one of those things that makes you look multiple times and you're just not 100% sure.  I think Jonathan is correct.....if this were a doubled die, another example would have popped up somewhere.  Based on my searching, none have.  Even if the premium were small, someone would have found another one and said something, somewhere.  That's also playing into my thoughts.  I have an Ottoman nickel 20 Para with a minor doubled die.....and talk about an obscure coin series!!! It took a lot of looking, but I did find someone with another example on a Turkish coin website that is now defunct.  But the coin there was certainly from the same dies as the one I have.  If I could find another copy of that doubled die, you'd think another one of these would be somewhere.....if it were a true doubled die.

Edited by Mohawk
I meant Para, not Kurush.....oops

On 9/30/2021 at 10:50 PM, Mohawk said:

I think it would be possible to have a doubled die and machine doubling on the same coin, but the lack of a record of a 1984 Doubled Die Greek 1 Drachma is what really has me stumped.

A lot World coin series don’t have a lot information on “varieties” (strike errors or doubling , RPM and so on) . Unlike the US coins do . I believe thats more of a US coin collecting thing. 

@Woods020 @Mohawk I'm glad to see that at least I'm not losing my mind here regarding my original comment on this thread about what looks like doubling.  I know my eyesight ain't the best it's ever been but dang...this one sure would have fooled me. I too appreciate all the feedback regarding this coin and other's perceptions on it.  (thumbsu