• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901 O Morgan

19 posts in this topic

Ok this coin I have higher hopes for than the 1921 I posted the other day. So take a look and give me your best estimate on grade. All I ask is that you be honest and dont worry that ill need a safe space if you dont like it.:insane:

1901O Front B.jpg

1901O Front W.jpg

1901 O Back B.jpg

1901 O Back W.jpg

The surfaces look original, which is good. This is one of those Morgans where it depends whether you see the weakness in the hair over her ear, and the cotton bolls, as strike weakness or light wear. I think strike weakness, given lack of wear in other areas. If that, probably a 62. If however the large cheek discoloration is light wear, then probably 58. Either way, it's a very nice piece.

Hi Mike!

I'm with Jonathan on this one.  I'm not sure if the discoloration on the cheek is light wear or not from the photos.  If it's not wear, then I'd feel comfortable saying MS 62.  If the cheek does have wear on it, then it's an AU 58.  It can be hard to discern these things from photos.  Nice coin either way though :) 

~Tom

I’m with the others. I think there is just too many flat areas on the obverse in the hair to say it’s a weak strike I think. More than likely a nice AU. If that is in fact not wear, I actually say this would be a 63. Cheek and obverse fields are relatively clean for a Morgan. Again I just think I see too make questionable areas in the hair though. If I was betting my money would be on AU. 

On 9/26/2021 at 6:40 PM, Woods020 said:

I’m with the others. I think there is just too many flat areas on the obverse in the hair to say it’s a weak strike I think. More than likely a nice AU. If that is in fact not wear, I actually say this would be a 63. Cheek and obverse fields are relatively clean for a Morgan. Again I just think I see too make questionable areas in the hair though. If I was betting my money would be on AU. 

Ya woods on the first picture the hair is not to bad so I did not look close. but on the second picture it is more noticeable it has a lot of wear on the left wing under the scratch but that could be grease strike. The more I look the lower it goes ,Sorry Mike 58 maybe 60 the fields are very nice.

Thanks for the comments and for explaining why you thought it should or shouldnt grade at those levels. The explanations really help someone new to judging coins to understand the process better.

The photos were taken with the top of the coin case removed so there is no case marring in the way. The first time I photographed it scratches in the case, while invisible to the naked eye, were readily visible so I opened the case and reshot them. I will try and get some better shots of the left wing, cheek and the hair which show those areas in a better light.

While I was hoping for a low end MS score Im overall satisfied with your thoughts on the coin

A thing to know about unc Morgans is that the quantity, location, and obviousness of the flaws is very important. A major ding in a prime focal area is more harmful than one in a secondary focal area, or a non-focal area. I believe that these distinctions came about in grading leadership circles due to the large quantity of unc Morgans that had been in bags, accumulating varying degrees of marking.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:23 PM, JKK said:

A thing to know about unc Morgans is that the quantity, location, and obviousness of the flaws is very important. A major ding in a prime focal area is more harmful than one in a secondary focal area, or a non-focal area. I believe that these distinctions came about in grading leadership circles due to the large quantity of unc Morgans that had been in bags, accumulating varying degrees of marking.

That's a very good point Jonathan.  Morgans were quite abused in their day, with all of the bagging and rebagging, bags being thrown around in vaults and on trains to transport them to said vaults and other places, being run through counting machines.......the list could go on and on.  Many Morgans show signs of this abuse in various ways and to various degrees.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:16 PM, Mohawk said:

That's a very good point Jonathan.  Morgans were quite abused in their day, with all of the bagging and rebagging, bags being thrown around in vaults and on trains to transport them to said vaults and other places, being run through counting machines.......the list could go on and on.  Many Morgans show signs of this abuse in various ways and to various degrees.

Especially, in my experience, the edge dings. The reeding makes these look like the merlons on top of castle walls. When one sees one of those on a Morgan, one may just about take it for gospel that the coin banged hard against the outer rim of another such coin.

Sorry it took so long to post the close-up shots. To be honest they dont really show much. The wing shot does not, to me, show if its a scratch, gouge or whatever. Now the close-up of the entire face/hair may show to some of the more experienced members the levels of wear that were questioned.

I took a close-up of the cheek but it didnt show anything at that close of a level other than to make the scratches look huge. The discoloration only appears when you have the surrounding coin to compare it to so I didnt include it. Plus I couldnt include it with the other two shots without going over the 4.88mb limit.

Anyway here they are.

P.S. I dont know why that shot of the wing appeared upside down on here, it comes in right side up whenever I open it. Sorry

1901 O L.Wing close.jpg

1901 O Face Close.jpg

Edited by Mikhail2400

In another post I asked about what folks used for magnifying coins for pics and stuff. I was persuaded that a digital scope wasnt needed for coins but i still wanted one. Instead of buying the one I wanted i just spent $22 on a cheapo to play around with.

I can see where a professional working at NGC might need a high mag device for inspections but for someone like me its not really needed. Its fun to play around with anyways. Heres a close up shot of the wing and yeah its cut up pretty bad

WIN_20210929_19_27_14_Pro.jpg

AU. The high spots with trace wear are circled. These are the high areas on the obverse to look for.  Reverse look for eagle’s breast and wing tips. I don’t see much on the reverse that clearly shows wear. But the obverse does. 

69FD5EB4-7550-4D1D-B380-9D42B6CE383F.jpeg

On 9/29/2021 at 11:36 PM, Woods020 said:

These are the high areas on the obverse to look for.

Thanks Woods, pointing out some of the exact areas to look at helps. Ive got a few more Morgans to post which are in better condition than the 1901O is I think but ill look them over again in those areas

On 9/29/2021 at 8:36 PM, Woods020 said:

AU. The high spots with trace wear are circled. These are the high areas on the obverse to look for.  Reverse look for eagle’s breast and wing tips. I don’t see much on the reverse that clearly shows wear. But the obverse does. 

What convinces you that this is wear rather than a strike falling just short of full? I don't see any wear on the cotton bolls or leaves, and on the weak spots, I don't see a change in surface color or the normal tiny scratches you'd expect.

On 9/30/2021 at 9:16 AM, JKK said:

What convinces you that this is wear rather than a strike falling just short of full? I don't see any wear on the cotton bolls or leaves, and on the weak spots, I don't see a change in surface color or the normal tiny scratches you'd expect.

I could be persuaded that the area just above the ear is strike weakness. I see that fairly regularly on some Morgans. I haven’t seen it in the other circled areas not be wear. It does look to me like a matte/dull color change, although slight, which also would indicate. Of course I could be wrong but the placement and slight color change lead me to my AU conclusion. I’d never swear to any grade on pictures.