• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 S Morgan Dollar

11 posts in this topic

Due to my lack of a nice camera to photograph these coins I thought I would try something else. What ive done is photograph the coin twice using different backgrounds. I photographed the coin once with a black background and the second time with a white background. I was a bit surprised at the difference the backgrounds made and I hope it helps show the coin better. So give me your opinions on whether the backgrounds made enough difference to matter and if you will take a guess at where you think this coin would grade at.

Thanks, Mike

1921S Morgan front W.jpg

1921S Morgan front B.jpg

1921S Morgan Back B (1).jpg

1921S Morgan back B.jpg

Welcome back. I will need to work on this one. Practicing grading. 
There is a difference with the background. I think it helps     
   I get a feeling it has been cleaned or something. Part of me sez AU 58 details and the other part sez MS62 details. Either way genuine with details will probably be the label.   Keep looking and I am a beginner 2-3 years only. Many coins I have seen. Many more to discover. Thanks 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:54 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Just mho, but compared to my 1921 ms63, I would judge a 61,62.

Love your coin! Comparing mine to yours I think I would have to be very lucky to get a MS61 but hey a man can hope eh.:roflmao:

On 9/24/2021 at 10:54 AM, JKK said:

probably whizzed.

Whizzed? Would that be when someone has used some type of power brush to clean it?

On 9/24/2021 at 11:03 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Welcome back. I will need to work on this one. Practicing grading. 
There is a difference with the background. I think it helps     
   I get a feeling it has been cleaned or something. Part of me sez AU 58 details and the other part sez MS62 details. Either way genuine with details will probably be the label.   Keep looking and I am a beginner 2-3 years only. Many coins I have seen. Many more to discover. Thanks 

Thanks James and yeah I too was wondering if it might have been cleaned after I saw the scratches all going in one direction on it

On 9/24/2021 at 8:11 AM, Mikhail2400 said:

Whizzed? Would that be when someone has used some type of power brush to clean it?

Or some other form of abrasive cleaning. It's possible the vertical lining on the obverse is on the holder, though. Can't really tell. However, the obv also has an unnatural look to it for its level of wear. Again, the plastic could be a contributor.

On 9/24/2021 at 2:40 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

To be honest I didnt have high hopes for this one. 

I'm glad to hear it, Mike.  I always hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Being the Morgan was not expected to be reissued after it was ended in 1904, I believe in the history of Morgans that the original dies were eventually destroyed and when the Pittman Act bought the dollar back in 1921 a new set of dies was made but the relief was shallow and the details were more flat.

That's exactly correct Powermad.  I believe that they used an actual 1878 7TF Reverse of 1878 coin to make the new dies and hubs when the Morgan came back form the dead in 1921, if I'm remembering the tale from Dave Bowers' book correctly.