• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please school me on how these coins differ. I cannot understand.

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Silver eagles are struck at several mints without mintmarks, so they're typically not distinguished as to their origin. The one identified as P came from a box bearing a seal of the Philadelphia Mint and was so certified.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:56 PM, VKurtB said:

They are only different as long as they remain in these holders. Take them out and they are indistinguishable. YOU must decide if that is of value to YOU. I have decided it is not, to ME. It reminded me of a principle in mathematics in high school statictics about two ways table  https://plainmath.net/secondary/statistics-and-probability/high-school-statistics/two-way-tables that I encountered while at university during my study.

I didn't know they were indistinguishable without the box.

Edited by MichaelBisson

On 7/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, MichaelBisson said:

I didn't know they were indistinguishable without the box.

Yup. No difference at all. Neither bears a mint mark, and there is no way to tell one mint from another UNLESS the coins are still in their “monster boxes”. Then, the only distinction is to know which box numbers came from which mint. ASE’s without mint marks CAN be from any current mint except Denver, but the don’t use every other mint every year. It depends who has the capacity to run a job of ASE’s. West Point is the “usual” source. 

Edited by VKurtB

Apparently, there are very minor differences between ASE coins struck at the West Point and Philadelphia mints, which maybe a professional grader would know/see. A very limited amount of the 2017(P) coins were struck.

To get the (P) label it needs to be submitted in the sealed box from the mint. Of the limited number struck, there are likely significantly less that were kept in the sealed mint box to even be eligible to get that label.

About the price, it's like any other collectible where if there are limited numbers of ones that are desired the value goes up. Also, there is an entry for a 2017(P) coin in the NGC ASE Complete Registry Set. But that price does seem a bit much for just a bullion coin.

Finally, why in the world would anyone get a common 2017(W) bullion coin TPG slabbed. The net value is prolly less than the melt value.

Edited by EagleRJO