• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1884 CC morgan silver dollar coin Feedback?

11 posts in this topic

It is hard to see the front, to much shine, LoL  It looks just like new on the back, it's to bad no one will grade a Morgan with a 68.69. or 70 like they will with ASE's , But then everyone would have one and the market would get all messed up.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:11 AM, J P Mashoke said:

It is hard to see the front, to much shine, LoL  It looks just like new on the back, it's to bad no one will grade a Morgan with a 68.69. or 70 like they will with ASE's , But then everyone would have one and the market would get all messed up.

I feel like its something wrong on the face the lines looks like some type of design and towards the front  of face you can see it all little but in person its a gold brownish color never been open sealed 

20210919_081956.jpg

On 9/19/2021 at 10:03 AM, Dejone Maxwell said:

I feel like its something wrong on the face the lines looks like some type of design and towards the front  of face you can see it all little but in person its a gold brownish color never been open sealed 

Probably some type of film developing on the coin, possibly from the GSA case or something touched it there or got on it before it was placed in the case. (shrug) You sure it's on the coin and not the case?

What are those GSA cases comprised of, PVC, acrylic?

It's very hard to assess a coin through clear plastic even when the image is sharp (this obverse is not, quite). One might see something that is a flaw on the plastic, a mistake one probably would be less likely to make with the coin in hand. That said, all CC GSA Morgans are special on some level, and it's pretty reasonable to think of having them graded and encapsulated (thus preserving the "GSA" designator). I could easily imagine this one getting a 64, possibly higher; can't tell whether the color shift in front of Liberty's nose and mouth is on the coin or on the holder, but it's in a prime focal area if on the coin. If so, that would probably mean it didn't get above 63. Just my guesses.

I'm with Jonathan and Coinbuf......it's nearly impossible to give an accurate grade on a coin in a clear plastic holder from photos, especially a holder as old as those GSA holders are, but based on the photos, I'm between an MS 63 and an MS 64.  I'll hedge my bets and go with MS 63+ or MS 63*

On 9/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

If your point is that TPG's do not grade Morgan dollars at these high grades with the same frequency as ASE's that would be correct. 

Yes that was the intent jokingly. My E-Mail blows up with all the different dealers trying to sell all the MS ASE,s .First strike ASE's,Type 1 and Type 2, Signed by this guy and that girl P.S and W coins It is amazing what they can think of to oversell a coin. I am sure there are hundreds of Morgan's out there that are wonderful and have never seen the streets.  

Edited by J P Mashoke

There are so few top condition Morgans compared to ASE is due to how they were handled.  ASE's are struck and tubed (I'm not sure of the handling from strike to packaging ) while the Morgan got no special handling, were packaged loose in bags and tossed around for counting purposes, and shipped around the country to vaults exposing them to much contact and vibration.