• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Newbie's Coin Collecting Journey - Narrowing My Collecting Scope
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I have opened up a few posts this way, but I am relatively new at coin collecting.  I have been collecting for a year in April 2021.  My coin collecting journey is as follows:

First - Collected whatever came my way.  Lincoln cents in low grade?  Sure!  State quarters?  Why not?  I literally bought albums and stuffed them with anything I could find coin roll hunting.  It was great, and it was cheap.  Then the coin shortage hit... and that stopped that.

Second - Now liking collecting coins from pocket change, I was disappointed when I could no longer get them. So, I went into my first coin shop, and saw coins I never knew existed.  My eyes grew wide as I looked at different sizes and designs of coins.  A large cent?  Who ever even knew that this existed?  I was very intrigued, but also absolutely horrified at coin prices (I had only paid face).  I was scared to death of the expensive coins, but they were so interesting to me.  I could never afford a set, but maybe just one... and with that I started a Type Set.  Over time, I became a little desensitized to the higher coin prices (but never lost sight of the fact that this can get expensive). 

Now - The Type Set exposed me to all "types" of coins (as the name suggests).  I am still not not close to completing the Type Set, and at this point I am not sure if it will ever be.... because.... I am now completely distracted with collecting early copper (half cents in particular).  I love everything about half cents.  I love the fact that the most common half cent is more rare than most "key" dates in other series.  So, every time I have extra money laying around for a coin... it goes toward a new half cent date/variety (as my Type Set sits in wait).

Questions - 

• What has been your coin collecting journey?
  • Did you find a changing focus to your collection over time?
  • If so, did you find your scope narrowed or widened?
  • Have you ever regretted changing your direction?  Would you have done anything differently?
  • What is your favorite part about your coin collecting journey?

On 9/14/2021 at 6:28 PM, Mohawk said:

Hmmm.....let's see here, Neo (I hope the abbreviation is okay with you).  Here are my answers....

Abbreviation is fine with me.  Thanks for sharing your journey.  This hobby is so deep and wide... It's great to hear how others navigate and personalize it. Appreciated!

On 9/14/2021 at 6:41 PM, JKK said:

5) The fact that I have in effect a little museum in my house, with artifacts that were ancient when Charlemagne was crowned.

This is so absolutely cool.  A personal museum of artifacts is such an intoxicating idea.  Thanks for sharing!

I took my old cigar box of coins out of storage during the 2020 virus and started google searching for information on my coins. I have searched coin rolls, submitted coins for grading, bid at coin auctions, visited the local coin shops, and recently started selling on ebay again. My coin interest has also expanded from moderns to ancients and from high graded PF70 down to PO01lowball. Thank you all for your guidance, laughs and history lessons. Mike

On 9/14/2021 at 6:41 PM, JKK said:

1) Fifty years beginning with US coins, then ancient and world coins.

2) Yes.

3) Widened.

4) No. I could have gone in a different direction any time.

5) The fact that I have in effect a little museum in my house, with artifacts that were ancient when Charlemagne was crowned.

I like the museum idea as well, Jonathan.  I have a project something like that planned when my Faustina collection becomes a little more extensive.  There's something magical about an ancient coin and I like the connecting with a person who lived long ago, like you do with Julian.  Faustina was quite a bit more, well, colorful and, frankly, brutal than Julian was but no less interesting for that fact.  I like to stare into the abyss a little bit, I suppose.

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

This is awesome.  Some have widened in scope, others have narrowed.  All of you (so far) have just enjoyed the collecting journey with no regrets.

I love the stories in this thread.  It's always fascinating to me the approach people take in collecting.  The approaches and styles are as unique as the collections and collectors themselves.  Its a universal passion in individualized style!  I love it.  Thanks again.

I agree!! I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses here.  This was a great question, Neo.  Thanks for asking it!

On 9/15/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jason Abshier said:

"...European market a lot coins are much much lower mintage figures and more scarce than US coin would ever be they don’t see the high hyped up prices as US coins do . It’s a hard one to answer about US market how can you blame high prices on “supply and demand”??? When theres tons and tons of US coins that are so easy to find in just about any grade your looking for" 

This is so interesting and something I have never thought about.  I guess I collect US coins because I relate to them... never for a second did I think about relative rarity and price.  Very cool perspective.  Thanks!

On 9/18/2021 at 6:15 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

This is so interesting and something I have never thought about.  I guess I collect US coins because I relate to them... never for a second did I think about relative rarity and price.  Very cool perspective.  Thanks!

No problem , a lot old old world coins can be found in nice raw condition and priced fairly . I believe a lot has to do with collectors from other countries don’t collect like we do here in the U.S.  

but lately some of the world coins been going up in prices slightly due to collectors taking interest in older coins with precious metal and so on rarity as well these collectors were getting them super cheap ! Now prices are starting to climb for certain world rare coins. It still a slow market in world coins one starts to dabble in it gets hooked so many world coins to collect and so much history you just can’t get bored 

On 9/18/2021 at 6:15 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I think it's important to relate to the coins you collect.  Even though I live in the U.S. and I've collected U.S. coins at different points, I was never able to really stick with that part of the hobby.....because I found that I couldn't relate well to U.S. coins, even though I live in the U.S.!! Ancients are a much better fit for me as I've always been interested in the Roman Empire and I find Faustina the Younger to be in interesting and fascinating person.  Once you find that fit for yourself, it's good to stick with it.......it makes the hobby much more rewarding, in my experience.