• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No clue what I am doing. help?

15 posts in this topic

Ok i have a handful of older coins, some ship wreck coins and ancient coins. i have to clue how to fill out that paper work and submit coins. i kind of get to fill it out then mail it but i do not know what to fill out.

Edited by Patrick Brennan

Hello and welcome to the forums.   Why are you interested in having these coins graded?  As you say you have just a handful of coins (and if your intent is to sell them) it might be of use to you to post what you have to submit (clear in focus cropped photos of both sides) to get some guidance on if any of your coins are valuable enough to warrant submitting.   The submission process is not that difficult but different types of coins (ancient vs US) need to be on separate submission forms.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:12 PM, Patrick Brennan said:

Ok i have a handful of older coins, some ship wreck coins and ancient coins. i have to clue how to fill out that paper work and submit coins. i kind of get to fill it out then mail it but i do not know what to fill out.

Post photos and let the members help you decide if any of the coins justify independent authentication. To blindly "send them in" is wasting hundreds of dollars on coin likely worth a few cents.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:38 AM, Alex in PA. said:

19 hours and no photos???  Humm.   :juggle:

Maybe he has as much trouble with photography as I do, and is trying to do exactly what we suggested, but between a job, kids, and a honeydo list, is otherwise occupied for the moment. Maybe he's sparing us all the crappy, useless photos of the learning curve and doing his very best to offer us exactly what we need. In short, maybe we're seeing respect for our time, and not sure about anyone else, but I value that.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:00 AM, Alex in PA. said:

doh!

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but let me just make this suggestion. How about we let the new people actually do something deserving of being made fun of before we start in and make fun of them? I know a great many forums that were once good places, but have become bully forums, and I have left those. I will leave this one if it becomes one of those Lord of the Flies places. I have no problem with mocking someone who demonstrates open stupidity or willful ignorance, but until people do, I don't think we need cutesy juggling symbols just because someone hasn't dropped the rest of his life to start posting photos. This is not funny or cute.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the photos.  I can help a little.  I don't know anything about Spanish colonial coins.  Someone else will have to chime in there.  Neither one of your Morgan dollars are worth grading.  The 1889 (I'm assuming it's a Philadelphia Mint coin as there is no mintmark written on the 2x2) looks like it has environmental damage and the 1921-D either has environmental damage, a stain or some kind of residue on it.....maybe all three.  Given the condition on the Morgans, I'd say that neither one of them is worth much more than silver melt, which is $18.51 each today.  As for the ancient coin you have, it looks like it's a Greek coin, which is another area I am not versed in.  I'm an ancient coin guy, but I only know Roman coins, not Greek.  

I hope that this was of at least some help.  Welcome to the forums!

~Tom

On 9/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, Patrick Brennan said:

take a look and i appreciate any feed back thank you!

My feedback is to crop them and thus they will be bigger. Also, one coin per thread, obverse and reverse. At the top I see a coin, then another that does not match it, and I simply tune out. You have the coins in hand, and thus know which obverses go with which reverses. We however do not.

I agree that the Morgan's are not worth grading and I'll add one more thing. You'll need more than a 2 x 2 labeled "El Cazador shipwreck" to get a TPG to recognize and attribute that designation, better have some good documentation to go with it. I'm not very familiar with your other coins so I'll let others comment on them and good luck on your submission if you choose to send anything in. (thumbsu