• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been slow here on the Newcomer's questions so here's one for discussion, 2008-P Alaska State Quarter

25 posts in this topic

Just pulled this one out of a random bank roll. I was in awe at the beauty, toning, luster and overall condition of this Quarter despite the reed mark on the obverse under the MM.  Also found a Kansas 2020-W 75 Privy in the same roll too. I'm not a Quarter collector but I do enjoy beautiful coins no matter what the denomination.  I did some research on Quarters, and this one, and learned that there are MS and SMS (or SP) for the State Quarters.  I'm well aware of SMS's in some other denominations but I did not know anything about Quarter SMS's (once again, I don't collect them).  Other than the explanation I found that a Quarter SMS has a satin finish, this is all I know at this point. Typically on an SMS, say the 1965-67 Jeffersons for example (I won't mention the controversial 1964...), there are other distinguishing factors than just a 'satin finish'.  I just wish I had a better phone these days for better pics as my crappy phone doesn't do this one justice.  Any input on this one as to if it appears to just be an extremely nice MS coin or if it is an SMS for this year and mint.  Thanks!

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

2005 those satin nickel come to mind. I don’t remember hearing anything about special finishes for the quarters. 2017-2018 had some reverse proof enhanced uncirculated that’s not it?2008 is close to 2005 I will wait with you. I seem to be stumped. Sorry buddy.  I do some more research  

Found it😉

77D5CE63-E1D6-4858-B802-1D4E6038C164.png

E88D2E95-125F-4461-9561-5EDC3AD89442.png

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 9/11/2021 at 6:09 PM, James Zyskowski said:

2005 those satin nickel come to mind. I don’t remember hearing anything about special finishes for the quarters. 2017-2018 had some reverse proof enhanced uncirculated that’s not it?2008 is close to 2005 I will wait with you. I seem to be stumped. Sorry buddy.  I do some more research  

Found it😉

77D5CE63-E1D6-4858-B802-1D4E6038C164.png

E88D2E95-125F-4461-9561-5EDC3AD89442.png

D6FC9947-9B8C-44EA-82E5-04F48A5055F8.jpeg

The SMS’s of these State Quarters (at least for the one we are discussing) do not seem to bring as much of a premium versus the normal MS version. The SMS’s are considerably lower priced by both NGC and PCGS as opposed to MS. 

If it wasn’t for that reeded edge contact mark I would almost be tempted to send this in to be slabbed. I’m pretty sure it would go at least 67, maybe better. Whatever looks like a ding or mark on this coin, from my pics, is not there (except the reed ding). This thing is spotless, especially the reverse. I don’t think I would lose money. I’ve looked at last auction results and after about a 7 year or so time frame these things really went up in realized price.

It would be really neat to have found a coin like this, in the wild, while roll hunting that would slab out at 67 or better…… but then again…. I may be way off base (my wife always says I am way off base….🙄)….. thus one more reason I don’t play the lottery. :)

Edited by GBrad

On 9/11/2021 at 6:38 PM, GBrad said:

The SMS’s are considerably lower priced by both NGC and PCGS as opposed to MS. 

Makes sense, looks like there are considerably more SMS Quarters graded by NGC than the "circulation" coins and they consistently grade higher. High grades, high population and over time lower prices, sounds familiar. hm If a 70 showed up in one of these the cycle would start again and the prices for 69's and lower would really crash. Just me speculating as I don't really pay attention to these or collect them.

I'm certain you have a business strike GBrad.  The "SMS" coins for 2005-2010 are very distinctive.....the satin finish stands out like a sore thumb if placed next to a business strike coin of those same years.  But I have to say that it's interesting that you found a 2008 coin in the wild that still looks that good.  It's further evidence for a theory I have......lots of people are cashing in their State Quarter collections from the 2000s right now.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:02 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm certain you have a business strike GBrad.  The "SMS" coins for 2005-2010 are very distinctive.....the satin finish stands out like a sore thumb if placed next to a business strike coin of those same years.  But I have to say that it's interesting that you found a 2008 coin in the wild that still looks that good.  It's further evidence for a theory I have......lots of people are cashing in their State Quarter collections from the 2000s right now.

Hello Mohawk. Thank you for your reply. As I commented earlier, I can’t express the beauty of this coin, found in a wrapped bank roll, and I’m not even a Quarter collector. This one stood out like the proverbial saying “A sore thumb….”. I am contemplating  about submitting it now that it is believed to be a business strike and not an SMS. Are there any opinions, which I don’t ask about very often concerning grading, if I should have this one graded??? I have looked at previous sales and anything in the business strike MS67+ to 68 look to be worthy of submitting.  I don’t think I would lose $$ either way but once again, it would be neat to have a CRH find graded at a possibly higher MS.
Edit: heck…. Why not….. I will submit it just to see what it comes back graded as. It’s only money……, right????

Edited by GBrad

On 9/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Just me speculating as I don't really pay attention to these or collect them.

Me neither Mike (thumbsu. I’m a Linc fan and collector myself. I’m speculating too about this one and if it is worthy of submission. 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:02 PM, Mohawk said:

This has been happening for awhile, many non collectors bought up rolls thinking that these would be great investments.   For those hard hit during the pandemic they attempted to sell them off only to find that they are worth face.   In my business I see lots of coins and shortly after the economy shutdown I started to see many older state quarters that were in excellent condition begin to show up.   Even this far into everything I still now and again see one that stands out as way better then you would expect for a quarter in circulation for 20 or so years.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:11 PM, GBrad said:

Hello Mohawk. Thank you for your reply. As I commented earlier, I can’t express the beauty of this coin, found in a wrapped bank roll, and I’m not even a Quarter collector. This one stood out like the proverbial saying “A sore thumb….”. I am contemplating  about submitting it now that it is believed to be a business strike and not an SMS. Are there any opinions, which I don’t ask about very often concerning grading, if I should have this one graded??? I have looked at previous sales and anything in the business strike MS67+ to 68 look to be worthy of submitting.  I don’t think I would lose $$ either way but once again, it would be neat to have a CRH find graded at a possibly higher MS.
Edit: heck…. Why not….. I will submit it just to see what it comes back graded as. It’s only money……, right????

Hey GBrad,

If you wanted to roll the dice on it and you're not worried about the money, go for it.  It'd be interesting to see how it went for you.  

On 9/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, Coinbuf said:

This has been happening for awhile, many non collectors bought up rolls thinking that these would be great investments.   For those hard hit during the pandemic they attempted to sell them off only to find that they are worth face.   In my business I see lots of coins and shortly after the economy shutdown I started to see many older state quarters that were in excellent condition begin to show up.   Even this far into everything I still now and again see one that stands out as way better then you would expect for a quarter in circulation for 20 or so years.

Thank you Coinbuf!!  Am I “barking up a tree” about my submission for grading this Quarter?  Would I be wasting my money?  Thanks! 

I’m on my phone at the moment in a very remote area so I’m sorry if my replies are not in order and bassacwards….. This Quarter I know is obviously NOT a game changer but I would really like to have a wild find slabbed. 

Edited by GBrad

On 9/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, Coinbuf said:

That's interesting Coinbuf......I'm sure you see more coins than I do since it's part of your business, but my fiancée and I still buy a couple rolls of quarters a week to do laundry and, aside from the period recently where we just got solid OBW rolls of 2021-P WCDs for over a month, we've been seeing higher grade State Quarters show up a lot more since the pandemic.  I think State Quarters are kind of like the Beanie Babies of U.S. coins.....a ton of people got into them from 1999 to 2008.  And then the series ended, and it started becoming apparent that everyone and their grandmother had saved the State Quarters and they were anything but rare. Now, times have gotten tough for a lot of people and they're dumping their numismatic Beanie Babies.  It's interesting to see, but I feel bad for the people who are dumping them because they have to.  But for the ones that want to dump them, I say good for them.  They just take up space and are anything but rare.

On 9/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, GBrad said:

Thank you Coinbuf!!  Am I “barking up a tree” about my submission for grading this Quarter?  Would I be wasting my money?  Thanks! 

From your photos I would not be inclined to submit, but keep in mind that I am not a gambler.   If you just want to test yourself and see it would not be very much of a financial outlay, so if you want to give it a go then sure why not.   My guess is MS65 from your photos, be sure to give the coin a nice acetone bath to be sure any contaminates are off.

I would not send it in Brad, I roll hunt every day I find MS quality quarters with no marks on them a lot. Coinbuf  Myself, and many others agree that people are cashing out there BU coins and if you look a lot like I do you will find them. I have around $200 worth of nice ones in my sorting trays like below. This is just park quarters I also have 4 trays of State quarters all great looking coins.

Sorta Fun.jpg

NOTE: "SMS or Special Mint Set" is reserved only for 1965-1967 sets issued by the US Mint and designated as such by them. Use for other things will spread confusion and encourage crooks to take advantage of others.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:16 PM, RWB said:

NOTE: "SMS or Special Mint Set" is reserved only for 1965-1967 sets issued by the US Mint and designated as such by them. Use for other things will spread confusion and encourage crooks to take advantage of others.

I'm clear on SMS of other denominations.  @RWB, are you referring to the use of SMS pertaining to these Quarters and that it should not be used?

On 9/12/2021 at 12:29 PM, GBrad said:

I'm clear on SMS of other denominations.  @RWB, are you referring to the use of SMS pertaining to these Quarters and that it should not be used?

What RWB is saying is the correct term for the other coins specially struck should be referred to as SP, not SMS. Now if your next logical question is what is the definition or criteria for SP the answer will be no one knows definitively. I asked NGC their exact criteria a month or two ago and crickets. 

On 9/11/2021 at 6:37 PM, GBrad said:

I’m on my phone at the moment in a very remote area so I’m sorry if my replies are not in order and bassacwards….. This Quarter I know is obviously NOT a game changer but I would really like to have a wild find slabbed. 

I’m wanting the same price thing. For me it’s that first W quarter. I’ll put it in a home made do it yourself slabs. Happy hunting 

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 9/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, Woods020 said:

What RWB is saying is the correct term for the other coins specially struck should be referred to as SP, not SMS. Now if your next logical question is what is the definition or criteria for SP the answer will be no one knows definitively. I asked NGC their exact criteria a month or two ago and crickets. 

On 9/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Specimen and special keep showing up in my research. Specimen seems to be the 17-1800’s special for 65-67 and the satin 2000’s series. Then it starts with differences between pcgs ngc and who ever else. Proof or business strike. It’s quite messy 

I agree with both of you guys and thanks for the comments.  I will admit I am a bit confused as well James between the designations of SMS (Special Mint Set) which NGC uses and then PCGS uses SP which I too read is meant for "Specimen" coins, not Special Mint Sets, yet PCGS still lists it as a type of 'specially minted' coin you can choose from from their drop down menu on several denominations. I've read also in the past that SMS coins really do not exist..... but then there's another camp that will argue the exact opposite. Not sure, I never would try to confuse anyone more so than I am already confused myself, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.....(thumbsu

I built "beanie baby" sets of State and ATB quarters.  These sets are literally the easiest coin sets to complete from circulation in nice grade AU/BU.  Totally agree that there is nothing rare about these quarters. That said, I am happy to have those sets completed for face.  I would not dump them unless I HAD to.

@GBrad I do totally understand your desire to get a high grade in the wild.  This is one of my small target goals.  I recently picked up a box of CTD quarters and 2021 Kennedy Half Dollars.  I am going to scope every one to see if I have a WINNER!  Not about the $$ or profit, but more to get a report card on my grading skills :grin: