• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy Introduction

23 posts in this topic

JM,

Welcome to the forum. Always glad to see new collectors joining the mix. You will find a mix of members on the forum with some collecting a full lifetime and others just starting the journey with many in between. You’ll also see a lot of different personalities, but I will say this is a great group of people. If you need help, advice, second opinions, etc. people will be glad to help. Stick around for a while glad to have you. 

On 9/6/2021 at 12:17 PM, Woods020 said:

JM,

Welcome to the forum. Always glad to see new collectors joining the mix. You will find a mix of members on the forum with some collecting a full lifetime and others just starting the journey with many in between. You’ll also see a lot of different personalities, but I will say this is a great group of people. If you need help, advice, second opinions, etc. people will be glad to help. Stick around for a while glad to have you. 

Thanks woods!  Glad to be here. 

Hello and Welcome JM!!

It's always nice to see new collectors join the group!  There is a lot of knowledge here and we're all willing to share that knowledge with new people who want to learn.  Joining our little online home is a great early step in joining the hobby!

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/6/2021 at 1:01 PM, Mohawk said:

Hello and Welcome JM!!

It's always nice to see new collectors join the group!  There is a lot of knowledge here and we're all willing to share that knowledge with new people who want to learn.  Joining our little online home is a great early step in joining the hobby!

Thanks Mohawk.  I have much to learn I am sure.  

Welcome JM you’ll enjoy this very knowledgeable group. I constantly check their opinions and follow their guidance. I enjoy numismatics and collected years ago then got rid of everything (big mistake) then started over again last year. I’ve made a ton of progress, spent way more than I should have but I do it for the measure  of satisfaction in completing sets and whatever else I decide to focus on.

Best wishes

Hello and welcome to the forums!  (thumbsu   Ebay is a good source to buy from but due to the costs sellers incur the prices are quite often retail or higher.   Just a suggestion but you may want to branch out and explore other sites like the available auction sites.    Sometimes you will find that ebay sellers may have the exact same coin listed on their website for less; just something to keep in mind as you search around.

Hope you will enjoy being here and don't be shy about showing us the coins you have in your collection, we love to see coins.  :)

On 9/6/2021 at 2:46 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Welcome JM you’ll enjoy this very knowledgeable group. I constantly check their opinions and follow their guidance. I enjoy numismatics and collected years ago then got rid of everything (big mistake) then started over again last year. I’ve made a ton of progress, spent way more than I should have but I do it for the measure  of satisfaction in completing sets and whatever else I decide to focus on.

Best wishes

Thanks Mr.Bill - I agree on spending more money than I should.  Of course you have to keep the lights on and a roof over your head but this hobby can become addicting rather quickly.  Thanks for saying hello.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:11 PM, Modwriter said:

Welcome jm, besides ebay you may want to check out the coin auction websites for buying coins. Heritage, David Lawrence, Great Collections.

Thanks man I am going to look into this Heritage Auction site everyone keeps talking about. 

On 9/6/2021 at 5:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

Hello and welcome to the forums!  (thumbsu   Ebay is a good source to buy from but due to the costs sellers incur the prices are quite often retail or higher.   Just a suggestion but you may want to branch out and explore other sites like the available auction sites.    Sometimes you will find that ebay sellers may have the exact same coin listed on their website for less; just something to keep in mind as you search around.

Hope you will enjoy being here and don't be shy about showing us the coins you have in your collection, we love to see coins.  :)

Thanks man.  I am going to look into this Heritage auction site.  I have uploaded all the NGC coins I have under my name jm20thengr.  I have about 15 uploaded now.  Nothing great but I am just starting out.  Thanks for saying hello. 

On 9/6/2021 at 5:27 PM, jm20thengr said:

Thanks man.  The name is Josh but I can see how you could assume Jim.  LOL Cheers and thanks for saying hello my friend. 

Sorry about that. I just saw the JM and apparently added in my own I. Welcome Josh. Coin collecting is super addictive. I’m ate up with it pretty bad but I’m ok with that. What do you collect?

Welcome to the group @jm20thengr. I'm rather new at this hobby too. Really been doing it for about 5 years now, I try and stay away from buying at e-bay, to many rip off people there, And NEVER buy from the tv guys no matter what they say. I always compare the price I am paying with some online sites such as Apmex so I know if they are in the ball park. If the deal is too good that is a red flag too.  Have fun and please show off your coins we all love to see what others get.

On 9/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, Lem E said:

Coin collecting is super addictive. I’m ate up with it pretty bad but I’m ok with that. 

Tell me about it LemE.  I have a pretty serious Faustina problem.

Josh there are also several dealers that are very good to work with and have websites to shop from. Just a few that come to mind that I’ve dealt with recently, but I’m sure many others have recommendations as well

- Northeast Numismatics

- Gerry Fortin Rare Coins

-  Sarasota Rare Coin Gallery 

On 9/6/2021 at 9:07 PM, Woods020 said:

Josh there are also several dealers that are very good to work with and have websites to shop from. Just a few that come to mind that I’ve dealt with recently, but I’m sure many others have recommendations as well

- Northeast Numismatics

- Gerry Fortin Rare Coins

-  Sarasota Rare Coin Gallery 

I just bought my first coin from Northeast Numismatics. Its a good place to look.

Hi all,

I'm newish too.  I loved collecting coins back in the '60s as we were stationed in Japan.  The Air Force Basses had a mix of MPC (I have a lot of MPC) and older coins that seemed to be circulating only on the Air Bases.  I snagged about 50 Buffalo Nickles, Mercury Dimes (a Roosevelt dime was rare there), Liberty Quarters and Half Dollars were common.  For a while, the slot machines they had (1961) used Morgans.  So, where my allowance would take me, I hung on to many of them... Until someone broke in the hose and stole them years later.  Waaa...  

I gave up coins until my brother gave me his - so, I'm back in.  Then I discovered the American Silver Eagle...  Well we all did.  Greed and lust has temporarily overtaken common sense as I'm slowly filling squares for the Grand Kids (12 of them).  They always ask to see the new ones that I buy.  So looking at the above forum, I'll look there to.  Good advice.

God Bless, - Chris