• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next comes the chapter on the Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Celebration.
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Is that a road-kill lizard on the seal?

Good stuff, but did not know they had balloons back then. Also did not know that all their aquanauts had to be named "Hugh."

I wonder if any of the artifacts found at the Fort Orange site were returned to the Netherlands. I would think that their national museum would be interested in displaying pieces from the "New World."

French love to wear their medals - Légion d'honneur, Croix de Guerre, and the Grand Apprentissage de la Propreté, etc. The Americans just wear their crooked tie and coat unbuttoned.

;)

On 9/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, RWB said:

French love to wear their medals - Légion d'honneur, Croix de Guerre, and the Grand Apprentissage de la Propreté, etc. The Americans just wear their crooked tie and coat unbuttoned.

;)

So true Roger and very funny!  lol

I continue with:

841242664_Huguenot-Walloon-Terc-P64B.png.e2c4eae80c8929dccd6650822dde9818.png

Courtesy of The Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary, by Antonia H. Froendt, p. 64.

726284093_Ribault-Monument1A.png.9a689c21ae384e3b1557e4551ac7a151.png

Athore, son of the Timucuan king Saturiwa, showing Laudonnière the monument placed by Ribault. Wikipedia.

Three of his children, Isaac, Henry and Rachel, the last of whom married Jean Mousnier de la Montagne, were among the earliest European inhabitants of New York. In an article in the New York Evening Post of September 19, 1922, Mr. Robert de Forest says that Jesse de Forest’s autograph petition of July 21, 1621, is still extant and that it is signed by 56 men, most of them heads of families, the whole number comprising 227 men, women and children. It was presented to the British Ambassador at The Hague. Sir Dudley Carlton, and transmitted to the British State Secretary.

I await [with bated breath] an account of the observance of the 500th anniversary of the settling in New Netherland of Walloons (French and Belgium Huguenots) by the Dutch West Company, 1624 - 2124, to be formally known as the Quincentenary chapter.

(Nice historical sketch @leeg !)   🐓 

On 9/11/2021 at 5:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I await [with bated breath] an account of the observance of the 500th anniversary of the settling in New Netherland of Walloons (French and Belgium Huguenots) by the Dutch West Company, 1624 - 2124, to be formally known as the Quincentenary chapter.

(Nice historical sketch @leeg !)   🐓 

If you have a chance at being around for that account, Quintus, you must be one of these guys:

Greenland sharks beginning to shed their secrets on longevity

On 9/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mohawk said:

If you have a chance at being around for that account, Quintus, you must be one of these guys:

I would have appreciated a coelacanth but I appreciate the thoughtfulness.  (thumbsu

On 9/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I would have appreciated a coelacanth but I appreciate the thoughtfulness.  (thumbsu

Actually.......we can do a coelacanth!!! I just checked into it.....they could make it to that quincentenary as they can live for over 100 years.  I went Greenland Shark because they can make it to around 500 years.  So, here you go Quintus......here's your coelacanth!!

Coelacanth - Wikipedia

@Mohawk  :signofftopic: BUT... when my father threw out the special issue featuring one in Life magazine, my mother refused to speak to him for a month. Rediscovered and dubbed "living fossils" in 1938, they're exceedingly rare.  I never expected to see one again so your photo is much appreciated. (And a big Thank You to @leegfor allowing this diversion!)  Good nite, gentlemen!

On 9/11/2021 at 9:50 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk  :signofftopic: BUT... when my father threw out the special issue featuring one in Life magazine, my mother refused to speak to him for a month. Rediscovered and dubbed "living fossils" in 1938, they're exceedingly rare.  I never expected to see one again so your photo is much appreciated. (And a big Thank You to @leegfor allowing this diversion!)  Good nite, gentlemen!

I promise I'm done to leeg and everyone else.  No more ichthyology on the coin boards. 

On 9/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mohawk said:

What .... a 500 year old fish ? Skin not even shriveled up B|

On 9/12/2021 at 2:08 PM, numisport said:

What .... a 500 year old fish ? Skin not even shriveled up B|

Yep.....Greenland Sharks may live for over 500 years.  And they do age well:

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/greenland-shark.html

PUBLIC APOLOGY...   First and foremost to the OP, @leeg, for what ultimately turned out to be an unwarranted intrusion and inattentive miscalculation -- brought to my attention by @Alex in PA.'s quite correct "fishy" suspicion. 

In my mind, I wondered 🤔  whether there would be enough descendants around to observe, in 2024, three years hence, on what would be the 400th anniversary of the settling of Walloons, which would have been the quatercentenary. The present year '21, became 2124... and an incorrect look-up. :facepalm:

(I thank God this did not come to the attention of @VKurtB -- and appreciate the ichthyological input which I initially found confusing.  Again, apologies to all!)

On balance, a most instructive historical thread. 

On 9/13/2021 at 5:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

PUBLIC APOLOGY...   First and foremost to the OP, @leeg, for what ultimately turned out to be an unwarranted intrusion and inattentive miscalculation -- brought to my attention by @Alex in PA.'s quite correct "fishy" suspicion. 

In my mind, I wondered 🤔  whether there would be enough descendants around to observe, in 2024, three years hence, on what would be the 400th anniversary of the settling of Walloons, which would have been the quatercentenary. The present year '21, became 2124... and an incorrect look-up. :facepalm:

(I thank God this did not come to the attention of @VKurtB -- and appreciate the ichthyological input which I initially found confusing.  Again, apologies to all!)

Domestic relations attorneys seem to last more than 500 years and are far more vicious. As for the possible commemorative, didn’t the 1924 half dollar cover it adequately?

On 9/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, VKurtB said:

Domestic relations attorneys seem to last more than 500 years and are far more vicious. As for the possible commemorative, didn’t the 1924 half dollar cover it adequately?

The next time I run into a Walloon on the subway, I will be sure to ask.  :roflmao:

On 9/13/2021 at 6:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I apologize, too.  I was the one who made the Greenland Shark joke.  So, I'm sorry to everyone for that off-topic joke.  I have a strange sense of humor at times.  I'll try to keep things more on-topic in the future.  

On 9/13/2021 at 6:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

its ok we all know u r from new york.....

On 9/13/2021 at 7:38 PM, Mohawk said:

I apologize, too.  I was the one who made the Greenland Shark joke.  So, I'm sorry to everyone for that off-topic joke.  I have a strange sense of humor at times.  I'll try to keep things more on-topic in the future.  

THAT WAS A JOKE? Now I am really embarrassed!

On 9/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, RWB said:

Excellent material. Makes the other commemorative books look weak, superficial and petty.

Weak, Superficial & Petty, a professional corporation for all your legal needs.

On 9/13/2021 at 7:31 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

The next time I run into a Walloon on the subway, I will be sure to ask.  :roflmao:

(Having already been cited for "inappropriate humor," I had a great come-back line all ready to use when I recalled I am muzzled for another two months.  In the alternative, I am going to suggest the Walloons, and their descendants, will mark the occasion with a either a convention or dinner, much like the D.A.R. do -- without a commemorative coin.) 🐓