• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown token or coin??

12 posts in this topic

Since i had such great luck with the other one.(again thanks conder) i figured i try see if could identify this one cause Google lens could not. 

D= about 50.8 give or take a .10

Weight =440gn or 28.5g

20210904_222528~2.jpg

20210904_222536~2.jpg

Edited by JAnsley
Had wrong diameter

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's a medal that's been enameled. The 7.1 could be a figure on the Richter Scale, so this piece may commemorate an earthquake.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:18 AM, DWLange said:

It's a medal that's been enameled. The 7.1 could be a figure on the Richter Scale, so this piece may commemorate an earthquake.

Makes sense. More than could come up with. Thanks. There any resell value for it you reckon? Cause im in the hole on the lot this was in as the three coins i bought the lot based on. One was repro the other two counterfeits. Rest junk and this Medal only thing left thats promising.

It is a medal to commemorate the handover of Hong Kong. Here is a little about it. The pictures show translation.  I have an app for that 😁

Authority over the territory of Hong Kong was formally passed from the United Kingdom to the People's Republic of China at midnight on 1 July 1997, ending 156 years of British rule in the former colony. Hong Kong was reestablished as a special administrative region of China, and largely continues to maintain its existing economic and, until recently,[1][better source needed]governing systems distinct from those of mainland China.

1EE71FAA-F6FD-4AB3-AF49-34EFBDF27B79.jpeg

3FC91D68-0478-463F-A93D-C440B1F33E69.jpeg

On 9/5/2021 at 11:08 AM, Woods020 said:

It is a medal to commemorate the handover of Hong Kong. Here is a little about it. The pictures show translation.  I have an app for that 😁

Authority over the territory of Hong Kong was formally passed from the United Kingdom to the People's Republic of China at midnight on 1 July 1997, ending 156 years of British rule in the former colony. Hong Kong was reestablished as a special administrative region of China, and largely continues to maintain its existing economic and, until recently,[1][better source needed]governing systems distinct from those of mainland China.

1EE71FAA-F6FD-4AB3-AF49-34EFBDF27B79.jpeg

3FC91D68-0478-463F-A93D-C440B1F33E69.jpeg

Thats really kool app whats it called i may have to try it. Thanks. 

On 9/5/2021 at 11:26 AM, Just Bob said:

Good job, Woods.

The inscription on the reverse, 中華人民共和國香港特別行政區,    translates to: "Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic"

@Just Bob thanks for full translation. You fluent in Chinese or you have a kool app as well? I have several world coins or tokens with Chinese or something similar i dont know what they say so ive been unable to look them up. 

On 9/5/2021 at 4:40 PM, JAnsley said:

Thats really kool app whats it called i may have to try it. Thanks. 

It’s called photo translator. It’s takes a picture and translates the language to English of any writing in the picture. It isn’t foolproof in that the better the image the better it sees letters. But it’s handy on “tell me what this is” questions. I only recently stumbled on it myself. 

On 9/5/2021 at 4:43 PM, JAnsley said:

You fluent in Chinese or you have a kool app as well? 

No. I followed the links that Woods provided, found the Chinese and English versions of the inscription, checked with an online translation program to be sure I had it right, and copy/pasted.

On 9/5/2021 at 5:17 PM, Woods020 said:

It’s called photo translator. It’s takes a picture and translates the language to English of any writing in the picture. It isn’t foolproof in that the better the image the better it sees letters. But it’s handy on “tell me what this is” questions. I only recently stumbled on it myself. 

Thats kool ive use google translate for longbtime but i dont habe Chinese keyboard so couldnt translate it. Thanks im gonna try down load it now

On 9/5/2021 at 10:28 AM, Just Bob said:

I don't read Chinese, but I believe it is a medal commemorating the annual July 1st (7/1) marches held in Hong Kong - possibly one particular event.

There is a Wikipedia article here:

Hong Kong 1 July marches - Wikipedia

Sorry bob guess i didnt read this one earlier before askin you if you knew Chinese..thatll teach me not the half speed read some post guess i skiped over it since was directed at Woods.