• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988-D penny doubled ear
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I know it's not the kind of doubling on the ear that's out there. There's actually something going on inside the ear itself. Pretty interesting this piece is. Hmmm. Idk I could be seeing things again lol.

20210903_141029.jpg

20210903_141439.jpg

20210903_141550.jpg

Hi Hinkle!!

Glad to see that you're still here with us after my long absence!! As I've typed a lot as of late, I think Coinbuf nailed this one too.......small strike-through or die scratch.

Without a doubt it very well could be what @Coinbuf said above. There is a lot of discoloration in that area. Are you sure it's not a stain? A clearer pic would help. Hard to tell from this pic. 

I think I got another post confused with this one. For the 88-D there are two DDOs, but neither have ear doubling. Both are minor doubling in the lettering. I agree it looks like something is there, but the die scratch / strike through theories would be the most plausible. Hard to think a strike though would so perfectly follow the ear outline, so my vote for most likely would be die scratch/gouge or retouching of some kind. Hopefully you can get better pics of the area.