• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercury dime from an ebay penny roll

14 posts in this topic

Found this beautiful dime (1936D FB) this afternoon in a $10 roll of wheat pennies i bought off ebay.. Also same roll had a 1864 copper nickel indain head!! Best 10 bucks I've sent yet! Or am i getting exited about nothing? 

Screenshot_20210902-223011~2.png

Screenshot_20210902-222838~2.png

It pays for your $10 or more. I can’t tell from the pics if the obverse is just darkly toned or if it has some environmental damage. Middle bands on fasces and bottom band nick would exclude full bands designations. Definitely a nice find in a penny roll any day. If you can get a little clearer picture we can tell you more on grade. 

Edited by Woods020

On 9/2/2021 at 10:50 PM, Woods020 said:

It pays for your $10 or more. I can’t tell from the pics if the obverse is just darkly toned or if it has some environmental damage. Middle bands on fasces and bottom band nick would exclude full bands designations. Definitely a nice find in a penny roll any day. If you can get a little clearer picture we can tell you more on grade. 

I'll see if i can get better photos and will post them shortly. And i didn't even see the nick on bottom band. Good catch

1351737487_20210902_2304102.thumb.jpg.ab4ef73d9c7d6549a1bc038a10220d66.jpg575847594_20210902_2302042.jpg.7cc7bb081ce1f85679715c530c7936f0.jpgMaybe these are a little better. Not then ill have to find some batterys and break out the wife's camera. Rather than keep wasting your time by me trying to keep use this cellphone.

Edited by JAnsley

You're welcome JAnsley!!! In looking at your new photos, I think your dime has environmental damage on the obverse.  The reverse is quite nice, though.  Still, definitely a good find in an eBay Wheat Cent roll!! 

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/2/2021 at 11:17 PM, Mohawk said:

You're welcome JAnsley!!! In looking at your new photos, I think your dime has environmental damage on the obverse.  The reverse is quite nice, though.  Still, definitely a good find in an eBay Wheat Cent roll!! 

I wasnt sure if it was environmental or toning and I've got the coin in front of me...iam glad you can tell cause i was just gonna call it toned dark and try see if can sell it. But being that someone with more knowledge on the matter says environmental then id rather just keep it than jerk some one around just to make a buck. Plus it wont take up much room in my safe with the others so just as well keep it.

Thanks again guys great help as ALWAYS 

Welcome and you have received some good advice. Not full bands middle and bottom problematic. Obverse looks like maybe some scrubbing scratches from a previous cleaning. What is very cool is unexpected catch 🎣. Your fishin for crappy and hooked a bass. You also got a bonus cent (picture?). That’s living large. I compare it to finding silver coins in the coin star coin return 🤓 but that’s another story. Thanks James 

On 9/2/2021 at 11:47 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Welcome and you have received some good advice. Not full bands middle and bottom problematic. Obverse looks like maybe some scrubbing scratches from a previous cleaning. What is very cool is unexpected catch 🎣. Your fishin for crappy and hooked a bass. You also got a bonus cent (picture?). That’s living large. I compare it to finding silver coins in the coin star coin return 🤓 but that’s another story. Thanks James 

Thanks and i found 12 Indian heads in the roll including this one the other 11 not so good 

20210902_224250~2.jpg

20210902_224256~2.jpg

On 9/3/2021 at 1:34 AM, James Zyskowski said:

There’s some very knowledgeable folks here. Cents especially !🤓😂🤠!

James did you happen to go check out goodwill auctions?

On 9/3/2021 at 11:25 AM, James Zyskowski said:

It’s on the list for this afternoon. Thanks 🤓🙀

I was on there earlier and found a coin book full of large cents