• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ordering coins overseas ?

15 posts in this topic

Lately most of all my coins overseas that I’ve order have been slow as a snail with shipping especially Europe and Germany (very slow in Germany) I’ve heard some collectors waiting up to 2 full months for coins to be shipped … most I’ve had to wait was 34 days ! Few years back before Covid everything shipped within a week or so . 2020/2021 been bad year for collectors who buy Numismatists items overseas in certain places 

Over the last couple months my overseas purchases have arrived extremely fast. I believe all were within 2 weeks and many within a week. 

Before this some would arrive in a few days and others a couple months. I purchased twice from the same German seller. The second order arrived before the first order, even though they were placed weeks apart. :frustrated:

@gmarguliI won a few auction coins at beginning of year from Cgbfr.com had coin at my door within 48 hrs no lie . It was like my neighbor actually flew overnight to get them for me , scary fastest shipping I ever saw came through FedEx though … July I ordered some coins from a German dealer they came in within a 10 days , at end of July I ordered a few Weimar Republic 3 mark commemorative type coins on July 26th , guess what they just touch New York distribution center this morning Aug 30th finally moving along to my house ! I thought they got lost in mail or stuck in customs or something , but seller insured them (they oughta after spending over $800+ on 3 high grade coins) so my money was guaranteed back , but still I’d rather have the coins … last year I didn’t order too much from Germany but one order hung up for 3 weeks no information where it was what it was doing nothing … Then all sudden I got email it was moving through USPS on my way to my home … I think it might be DHL shipping services crappy or something 

I recently ordered two Roman coins from dealers overseas, one in Sweden and one in Germany.  They both arrived within a couple of weeks.  It's definitely slower than before COVID still, but it seems to be improving....at least, in my experience.

On 8/31/2021 at 1:46 AM, VKurtB said:

Do orders from world mints count?

Yes sir ! Any world coin or Numismatic item regardless where you buying from overseas from a dealer or mint doesn’t matter still a world coin  , how’s the shipping for you ? Fast , normal , slow , “snail” slow ? 

I was browsing around in MA-shop just looking other day I saw few dealers who said coins would take up to 30-days for shipment … How hard is it to put it on plane fly it over ? Neighboring countries don’t have that problem shipping is normal , I think it DHL carrier service over there in Germany real crappy service … I’ve never had a coin hang up in customs , I had friend once order a coin from Netherlands it got hung up in customs came to him in mail with green tape on it but the coin was still in there they open his package took coin out “manhandled” it put it back in package sealed it with green tape it been inspected … odd ! 

I really haven't noticed much difference in shipping times from overseas sellers. Some packages are delivered in under 2 weeks some take a month or more, and there is really no rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell. Germany and France always seems to be a crapshoot with ETA. Ukraine, Poland, Portugal haven't had an issue yet, always fast delivery. UK is fast but more often than not is expensive.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:24 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Yes sir ! Any world coin or Numismatic item regardless where you buying from overseas from a dealer or mint doesn’t matter still a world coin  , how’s the shipping for you ? Fast , normal , slow , “snail” slow ? 

Perhaps a tad slower than before COVID, but not ridiculous. 

I am trying to order a couple of copper nickel coins from Trinidad & Tobago. The potential seller says that FedEx there will not ship coins to the USA. I told him to call them collector items or numismatic items for collector. He wants me to quote a law that says it is ok to import foreign coins.

Ouch. I have gotten many coins of many times the value from Europe with no problems, and many if most came through FedEx with nary a problem. One just last week in fact!

Any suggestions?

On 9/3/2021 at 1:02 AM, 7.jaguars said:

I am trying to order a couple of copper nickel coins from Trinidad & Tobago. The potential seller says that FedEx there will not ship coins to the USA. I told him to call them collector items or numismatic items for collector. He wants me to quote a law that says it is ok to import foreign coins.

Ouch. I have gotten many coins of many times the value from Europe with no problems, and many if most came through FedEx with nary a problem. One just last week in fact!

Any suggestions?

ask fedex to give u a clarification.....

On 9/3/2021 at 1:02 AM, 7.jaguars said:

Any suggestions?

Wow.....that's a strange situation.  The only thing that I can think of is to contact FedEx and see what they say about shipping coins to the USA from Trinidad and Tobago.  With what I collect, Roman coins, it is actually illegal for people in some countries to export them out of the country.  This is also the case with Turkey and some older Ottoman coinage, but this is the first I've heard of with something modern enough to be made of copper-nickel.  Definitely contact FedEx and see what they say.  Then, get back to the potential seller when you have the answer right from FedEx themselves.  I'd imagine if you were to provide a solution from FedEx themselves, you'll likely get the coins.  I'm a seller myself, and I always want to make a sale if I can!

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/3/2021 at 1:51 PM, zadok said:

ask fedex to give u a clarification.....

On 9/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, Mohawk said:

Definitely contact FedEx and see what they say

It wasn’t FedEx , Germany mostly uses DHL service , sometimes their service is quick other times it takes 3 weeks at the most . But lately it been taking over 30 days I contacted the seller they said it’s way it is with DHL sometimes , I contacted DHL they contacted me back as soon as coin got to USA in New York they wrote whole email in German couldn’t even read it … lol! But what was weird the coin was shipped to DHL July/28th they showed me shipping invoice Aug/8th it was handed over to international logistics (I am assuming it was on plane flight to USA?) I haven’t heard or seen where that package been since Aug/30th I got email it was in New York processing center it’s on way now weirdly it winded up in New Jersey (I live in Pennsylvania) right now the package went down to N.C !!!! Now it’s on its way to Maryland coming back up towards me … USPS is another headache of its own I’ll probably get them after Labor Day 

On 9/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, Jason Abshier said:

It wasn’t FedEx , Germany mostly uses DHL service , sometimes their service is quick other times it takes 3 weeks at the most . But lately it been taking over 30 days I contacted the seller they said it’s way it is with DHL sometimes , I contacted DHL they contacted me back as soon as coin got to USA in New York they wrote whole email in German couldn’t even read it … lol! But what was weird the coin was shipped to DHL July/28th they showed me shipping invoice Aug/8th it was handed over to international logistics (I am assuming it was on plane flight to USA?) I haven’t heard or seen where that package been since Aug/30th I got email it was in New York processing center it’s on way now weirdly it winded up in New Jersey (I live in Pennsylvania) right now the package went down to N.C !!!! Now it’s on its way to Maryland coming back up towards me … USPS is another headache of its own I’ll probably get them after Labor Day 

reply was to 7. jaguars.....

On 9/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I was replying to 7.jaguar's problem up there, Jason.  I apologize for not being specific there.  But it sounds like your headache continues, sadly.  But at least your package is on the right continent now!! 

Edited by Mohawk