• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Franklin MS 66 proof FBL ?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was looking at this 1963 proof and wanted to see if we have any Franklin collectors here ? I have been told FBL is for BS strikes and suppose to cancel out if it is a proof coin. So my question is would this be worth the $50 ? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks ..JP 

MS 66.jpg

You can beat that on eBay in a PCGS or NGC slab. Looking at recent sales I see several selling in PF66 CAM between $30 and $35. I do see some go for $50 but plenty to be had for less. And not in an ANACS slab. Not that they are bad per se. It does appear to be an older holder so you may hope for an upgrade with today’s grading standards, but it doesn’t look extra special from what I can see in the pics. 

Thanks ,That's what I was hoping to hear, The coin is ok but I was thinking at 50 a bit high it was a mirror background in it's day but it has fogged a bit. Not sure if it would cross over unless cleaned up buy NGC conservation. MS 66 is a high grade for a Ben most are worth $400 but again Proof and BS are two different things. 

Edited by J P Mashoke

That's not a real ANACS slab. It's an ANACS slab insert in an aftermarket shell. 

Assuming that the insert and the coin actually go together, there is a good possibility the coin is undergraded. ANACS was pretty strict on modern proofs. 

On 8/24/2021 at 7:56 PM, gmarguli said:

That's not a real ANACS slab. It's an ANACS slab insert in an aftermarket shell. 

Assuming that the insert and the coin actually go together, there is a good possibility the coin is undergraded. ANACS was pretty strict on modern proofs. 

Thanks for the heads up on the slab Then the coin could have been changed out at one time. Or it could be the real deal but why change the case¬¬

On 8/24/2021 at 6:56 PM, gmarguli said:

Good catch. I totally missed that.