• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What percentage of active coin collectors read hobby books....

286 posts in this topic

Re-Reading Books:  Just wanted to say that there's something to say about going back and re-reading books you read before. 

As you spend more time in this hobby, stuff that you glossed over and maybe didn't really stand out will now be much clearer.  I skimmed some passages from Bowers' DE book....Roger's Saints book....and FMTM....DEFINITELY understood much more and retained alot more than when I read them all the first time 2-4 years ago. 

I've accumulated so much more information and knowledge and experience -- much of it from these forums -- that it makes reading the books much more enjoyable.  In many cases, I am getting more details on stuff I or others posted about here.

Hope to re-read all 3 of those books and maybe the Akers/Ambio book on gold coins in 2023. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Just curious....they have a 7th Edition of the Morgan RED BOOK out now, was wondering if anybody has that and an earlier version if much changed ? 

And I'm not expecting a complete re-write but was hoping it's a few pages longer and maybe even 1 new chapter, besides changes to prices and more recent sales commentaries.  

I have the 4th Edition and if I'm gonna re-read it, I might just get the new one.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Just curious....they have a 7th Edition of the Morgan RED BOOK out now, was wondering if anybody has that and an earlier version if much changed ? 

And I'm not expecting a complete re-write but was hoping it's a few pages longer and maybe even 1 new chapter, besides changes to prices and more recent sales commentaries.  

I have the 4th Edition and if I'm gonna re-read it, I might just get the new one.

Or maybe the modern Morgan program gets included. It's the only affordable way people are getting proof morgan dollars, let's face it. 

On 12/24/2022 at 12:34 PM, samclemen3991 said:

I am not trying to argue with you Quintus but I use their web site almost every day.  I am about as computer literate as my dog and have no problems with their site.  What feature(s) are giving you so much trouble?

Further to my earlier reply, It seems I owe you a debt of gratitude for urging me to give HA a closer look.  I have no idea why that site stymied me off and on for years.  Everything is compartmentalized logically, and the filters work so well that it took me only seconds to realize my presence at NYINC is absolutely not required  No gold Roosters, period. I revisited my set registry at PCGS and reviewed the auction records provided on their site and realized something I only suspected.  Due (I suspect) to manpower shortages, the info compiled is sparce and so old that many coins bought years ago were acquired at below melt. 

Now, to respond to @RWB's query, I shall take the liberty of paraphrasing Desiderius Erasmus:  When I get money I buy Roosters, and if any is left I buy food and clothes.   :makepoint:  doh!  :roflmao:

On 12/27/2022 at 7:08 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Further to my earlier reply, It seems I owe you a debt of gratitude for urging me to give HA a closer look.  I have no idea why that site stymied me off and on for years.  Everything is compartmentalized logically, and the filters work so well that it took me only seconds to realize my presence at NYINC is absolutely not required  No gold Roosters, period. I revisited my set registry at PCGS and reviewed the auction records provided on their site and realized something I only suspected.  Due (I suspect) to manpower shortages, the info compiled is sparce and so old that many coins bought years ago were acquired at below melt. 

I found more information on Roosters.....xD

I have a bunch of auction catalogs as well as reading auction lot description. I believe a ton of information can be extrapolated from them.

BTW I demand nothing of anyone ever especially amongst fellow collectors. Why be so pompous. That's a major turn off and likely is part of what thins the crowd. Nonetheless we must tolerate others dispositions if we are to be civil.

On 12/28/2022 at 12:22 PM, Standby said:

I have a bunch of auction catalogs as well as reading auction lot description. I believe a ton of information can be extrapolated from them.

LOVE auction catalogs....historical information and still-relevant commentaries.  They're great historical talking pieces, too.  (thumbsu  

You can also get lots of great information from multiple catalogs in the commentaries from high-priced or famous online auctions from Heritage.  I spent lots of hours punching up the "best" or highest-priced or 2nd-highest for numerous Saint-Gaudens DEs so I could gather information and commentary, including from David Akers.  If you CAN'T find a specific or dated auction catalog, you can get the gist of the key commentaries from the HA database for many coins.

On 12/28/2022 at 12:22 PM, Standby said:

BTW I demand nothing of anyone ever especially amongst fellow collectors. Why be so pompous. That's a major turn off and likely is part of what thins the crowd. Nonetheless we must tolerate others dispositions if we are to be civil.

If we all agreed with one another.... how would we learn, right ?  Totally agree....for the most part, I think the civility here is excellent.  Things CAN get heated at times, but that is to be expected.

When in doubt....follow the maxim.....criticize the coin....not the person. xD

On 12/28/2022 at 10:31 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

....When in doubt....follow the maxim.....criticize the coin....not the person. xD

I AM GOING TO TAKE THAT TO MEAN WE GO FULL SPEED AHEAD ON REKINDLING OUR FRIENDSHIP WITH NEVADAS&G.   :makepoint:  doh!  :roflmao:

I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 books in Kindle/e-book format.  Are they EXACTLY what you get in the print copies ?

Never got a Kindle book, but I do like reading book and other documents in PDF format on my smarpthone.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/29/2022 at 11:48 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 books in Kindle/e-book format.  Are they EXACTLY what you get in the print copies ?

Never got a Kindle book, but I do like reading book and other documents in PDF format on my smarpthone.

I like reading or going through short documents, a few pages, and perusing auction catalogues and the like on my desktop but I just can't do the phone or tablet thing for leisurely reading, I much prefer hard copy for that.

I'll save everything I can get online to a server but I'll print quite a bit as well and organize it in binders.

I spend way too much time in front of a screen at work, getting away for awhile is great. 

On 12/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im the same way. Hard to read something like that online. I enjoy walking over to my bookshelf and selecting a book. Then sitting peacefully in my chair where I can stare out the window once in a while. Then when Im done for a few I can just put a book mark in it. Then just pick it back up and read where I left off instead of having to click all over and find it on my phone. Screens also give me a head ache after a while. And im always clicking on stuff messing up the page. Im just old fashioned i'd would rather enjoy a book. 

100% HH! Also much easier to find your  place again if you fall asleep! lol

On 12/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

....And im always clicking on stuff messing up the page.

[I'll let you in on a little secret only you and I will know.  Yesterday, for a few hours the # 2 ranked Rooster set registrant on the West Side, inadvertently and unknowingly, became # 1 because I was suddenly seized with the notion of "professionalizing" my presentation without delay. And if you are in a hurry, and all thumbs, you make errors.  I called the West Side on their dedicated set registry line. I was placed on hold for 52 minutes after which I was told to leave a message. My call was never returned that day, or the next.  Is it because I was longer a member? I will never know. I eventually figured it out on my own and restored the deletion and my # 1 rank, but realized two things: a). losing your top rank can be psychologically devastating (your ratings are reconfigured; there's no way to know whether it can even be done w/o reconfirming what you've previously submitted, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY... b). for neglecting to extend to me the common courtesy of returning my call, I was possessed with the vision of vacating the premises there, permanently, and wheel-barreling my collection here to the East Side where, according to my calculations (and after considerable risk, loss, and expense, e.g., an expensive coin or two that won't cross-grade,  insurance, you-name-it) I would be able to assume the # 1 rank pushing sixty-some-odd registrants down a notch.  Funny how inattention to detail and discourtesy can encourage mammoth change.]

here's z's take on all this... "ok so the guy who is # 2 never knew he was # 1, once."

Exactement!

Man, I love this place!  doh!

On 12/29/2022 at 7:40 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I like reading or going through short documents, a few pages, and perusing auction catalogues and the like on my desktop but I just can't do the phone or tablet thing for leisurely reading, I much prefer hard copy for that. I'll save everything I can get online to a server but I'll print quite a bit as well and organize it in binders. I spend way too much time in front of a screen at work, getting away for awhile is great. 

I'm actually with you, Mike.  I spend so much time Mon-Fri watching screens that when the weekend comes I want to read BARRONS and The WSJ in my hand with paper.

This is a book I already have and read and I thought it would be nice to have the same thing on my smartphone for research and quick commentary reasons. I was also going to re-read it and figured since there's no newer edition, may as well do a change-up and get the online/e-book version this time.

The original question came from the observation that after 10+ years, very little from new research books or articles had entered "numismatic knowledge" -- even for major auction companies.

I am afraid I see little in the way of notable innovative quality being produced which would justify the inclusion of its particulars in an authoritative book devoted to numismatic knowledge.  Right now, papers of record are devoting their time and energy to formulating a suitably sensitive but accurate formal Epitaph for the hobby, but pockets of resistance persist.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:58 PM, RWB said:

The original question came from the observation that after 10+ years, very little from new research books or articles had entered "numismatic knowledge" -- even for major auction companies.

I presume by now there is a reference (a real one, not predominantly a price guide) for every US series up through State Quarters.

For the series I primarily collect, the most useful data is the survey.  It's not statistically representative, but it does give a reasonable indication of the relative scarcity (which I mostly knew already).  For any future update, I recommended to the author to add counterfeit detection, strike quality (by date if possible), and a quality distribution of the sample.  It would also help if the data included all known specimens which I don't believe it does.  The information I am most interested in is, what is available to be bought to be bought so that I can complete my collection.

It would also help if the books in which I have an actual interest were more available.  As examples, I'd buy Fuld's Patter Coinage of Peter Getz and Bowers' 1822 half eagle if I could find it, but I cannot.  But I'm not paying the potentially ridiculous secondary market prices it will likely take to buy either when I don't even collect something.  One of mine purportedly sells for $400 now.  I bought it for $65 in 2002 and have multiple books for this series, so wouldn't pay this even if I did not own it.

Off-The-Beaten-Track Sources of Information:  For any newcomers here, or even more experienced collectors looking for interesting places on the internet to scour out information on your particular coins (or the coin type).... 

• HERITAGE & STACKS/BOWERS AUCTIONS:  I find great comments on specific coins and coin types by looking for high-priced sales of a coin (i.e., Saints) which usually has lots of background information.  You will NOT find it on more common and/or lower-priced sales where the coin descriptions for the auction may only run a few sentences.  It's for the rare coins, expensive ones, and unique ones that will have pages of information plus commentaries by noted experts (i.e., David Akers for gold).  Invaluable, IMO.
  • DEALER WEBSITES:   Need to separate fact-from-fiction but you can find interesting information that may have been printed 20 years ago during the Internet's infancy and is still up or recently found.  I found some good stuff on hoards over at David Lawrence's site.
  • FORUM THREADS:  Obvious, since that's what this is. xD  A good example would be the Saints thread here on the NGC Forums (where Roger Burdette has generously contributed his expertise and knowledge) and PCGS has some real winners, like the recent Proof Thread, the famous Franklin Gradeflation Thread, and the (unfortunately deleted :() Omega Saint Counterfeit Thread.

Authors usually make nothing, and even when they get a small commission, it is far less than the value of time and work put into research and writing. Several have tried POD "print on demand" but the quality is low and individual copies are not as inexpensive as promoters claim. Others have tried the subscription approach popular in the 19th century -- people buy before printing, and the author prints only to prepaid orders.

Both of these options result in books that are more costly than expected and are very difficult to locate after initial publicity.

The last time I paid a visit to the main building of the New York Public Library (now encumbered with the name, the Stephen A. Schwartzman Building) all the card catalogues had been removed and the storied "Rose" Reading Room tables were filled with people staring at lap tops. Any available books were used as decorations for the massive walls.  No one touched them. It is my understanding newspapers have been dispensed with in favor of on-line subscriptions.  Last I heard, books were relocated to underground stacks (among great controversy.) When's the last time anyone heard the expression, "Publish or Perish?"

Publishing remains active, merely in a different format. The real problem is preservation in that (those) new format(s).

On 3/25/2023 at 4:22 PM, RWB said:

Authors usually make nothing, and even when they get a small commission, it is far less than the value of time and work put into research and writing.

It's funny...reading AMERICAN DEFAULT one of FDR's advisors wrote a book on agriculture and I guess it was used in the largely-populated ag schools of the day...sold 400,000 copies and he was pretty well set because of it.

I wonder what a college textbook cost in the 1930's ?  I'm gonna guess $2.  xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/25/2023 at 4:07 PM, roadbike said:

So many numismatic books are a labor of love. With the exception of a few large publishers, I suspect most don't even break even.

I wouldn't mind helping to edit a new edition of a book that I was competent in the field....even if I didn't make much/any $$$ I'd enjoy seeing my name on a new information source.

On 3/25/2023 at 4:22 PM, RWB said:

Authors usually make nothing, and even when they get a small commission, it is far less than the value of time and work put into research and writing. Several have tried POD "print on demand" but the quality is low and individual copies are not as inexpensive as promoters claim. Others have tried the subscription approach popular in the 19th century -- people buy before printing, and the author prints only to prepaid orders.  Both of these options result in books that are more costly than expected and are very difficult to locate after initial publicity.

Have the economics changed with online books ?  I would think the lower cost might expand the audience.

Many of the books we deal with here -- including yours, Roger -- are NOT available on Amazon or from other established sellers.  Others are out-of-print or you have to buy used copies.  The information on these books, even decades old, is still valuable IMO.