• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two NGC Sample Slabs Acquired at Chicago

44 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 4:01 PM, GBrad said:

If uins is from the south...... thar ain't nuttin better than Suga in yo grits!!!!  Oh my..... I grew up on them.  You guys are making me want to go to Waffle House right now and eat a few bowls!

Must be a regional thing. I was raised in the South, and I never heard of putting sugar on grits until I was in my thirties. Sugar was for oatmeal or cream of wheat. Grits were, and are, eaten with salt and pepper, maybe crumble up a little bacon in there, or even mix it in with your fried egg.

(I also don't say you'uns or pronounce sugar as sugah. That is a regional thing, too.)

On 8/23/2021 at 6:10 PM, Just Bob said:

Must be a regional thing. I was raised in the South, and I never heard of putting sugar on grits until I was in my thirties. Sugar was for oatmeal or cream of wheat. Grits were, and are, eaten with salt and pepper, maybe crumble up a little bacon in there, or even mix it in with your fried egg.

(I also don't say you'uns or pronounce sugar as sugah. That is a regional thing, too.)

Grits are good no matter how they are prepared.  I prefer sugar (or sugah... ha...that's the exact way my now late 'Southern' father-in-law pronounced it) but salt and pepper is also excellent. Bacon is excellent in them too, or as far as that is concerned, bacon is great no matter what it's on or just by itself.  

I was joking about the pronunciation of the words in my post.  Just trying to play around with some old southern verbiage which us "Rednecks" (yes, must be a regional thing) still like to play around with.... :).

On 8/23/2021 at 7:10 PM, GBrad said:

Grits are good no matter how they are prepared.  I prefer sugar (or sugah... ha...that's the exact way my now late 'Southern' father-in-law pronounced it) but salt and pepper is also excellent. Bacon is excellent in them too, or as far as that is concerned, bacon is great no matter what it's on or just by itself.  

I was joking about the pronunciation of the words in my post.  Just trying to play around with some old southern verbiage which us "Rednecks" (yes, must be a regional thing) still like to play around with.... :).

I am......way too Northern for the culinary turn this thread has taken.........

Oh come on now you must have been on 81 S and hit a Cracker-barrel everything you order comes with Biscuits and gravy and grits

On 8/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, Mohawk said:

.way too Northern

On 8/23/2021 at 8:01 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Oh come on now you must have been on 81 S and hit a Cracker-barrel everything you order comes with Biscuits and gravy and grits

Nope.....never.  The furthest south I've been in the East is New Jersey.  Never been south of the Mason-Dixon.  I've never even been in a Cracker Barrel!  Out West, I've been to So Cal......but that's definitely not 'the South" xD

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, Mohawk said:

Nope.....never.  The furthest south I've been in the East is New Jersey.  Never been south of the Mason-Dixon.  I've never even been in a Cracker Barrel!  Out West, I've been to So Cal......but that's definitely not 'the South" xD

Well you just gota take a ride down 81 and go and get some grits, or you can go to the local paint store and get some wallpaper paste. It will be a close second to grits :roflmao:

On 8/23/2021 at 8:29 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Well you just gota take a ride down 81 and go and get some grits, or you can go to the local paint store and get some wallpaper paste. It will be a close second to grits :roflmao:

:roflmao:My downstairs neighbor is a Southerner (native Floridian), so maybe I'll ask him which of those options is the best starting point for a Northern boy such as myself!  Though I don't know......he drinks some moonshine that'll make a man out of ya'........it'd probably put me in the hospital!!

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/23/2021 at 3:33 PM, Just Bob said:

Since you didn't grow up with them, I have to ask: Are you a sugar, or salt-and-pepper kind of guy?

Plain, as they come.

I suspect if you are in the south they call it grits, in the north they call it Mush.  As near as I can tell they are the same thing, a boiled cornmeal porridge  With grits the cornmeal may be ground a little coarser.  Grits tend to be eaten as the porridge often with sugar or syrup, while mush can be eaten that way but is often allowed to set up then sliced, fried in butter, and eaten as a breakfast food with maple or other type of syrup.

In Italy it is called "Polenta," although, over there, it is made from a less starchy variety of corn.

(Yes, I do sometimes watch cooking shows :blush:.)

On 8/26/2021 at 9:05 AM, Just Bob said:

In Italy it is called "Polenta," although, over there, it is made from a less starchy variety of corn.

(Yes, I do sometimes watch cooking shows :blush:.)

Not hominy???? I swore grits were hominy.  

Yo can make grits from hominy, hominy is corn that is soaked in lye to soften and remove the outer husk,  Then dry it, grind it into meal and you can make "hominy grits", but grits can be made with regular corn meal or hominy meal.