• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice Looking 1909 VDB
1 1

21 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 8:36 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Nice JP! I paid $15.00 for mine. What did it cost you?

4B2E8B2A-1957-4DE7-8614-28C2C70718D6.jpeg

$10  Mr. Bill, Yours is red I think that makes it worth more.

On 8/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, Coinbuf said:

XF40 from these photos, the obverse could pass for AU but the reverse holds it down.

Thanks Coinbuf I know you have a real nice set of LMS. It is hard to get a good photo through the scratched up plastic. So are there to many marks on the letters holding it back from AU.

S20210819_0010.jpg

S20210819_0012.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

I shop at a lot of antique stores and buy the old junk mint sets that are cheap. Sometimes you can get lucky and find one coin in the set that will pan out. I'm not finding big money coins but Break even or maybe a little extra value. In reality it is only worth what someone will pay you for it in the end.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Thanks Coinbuf I know you have a real nice set of LMS. It is hard to get a good photo through the scratched up plastic. So are there to many marks on the letters holding it back from AU.

No its not the hits that I have concerns over, its the overall look.   This is one of those coins that would have gotten a split grade back in the early ANACS days.   The obverse shows light rub on the coat, lower jawline, cheek, and forehead.   From a strict wear and mark standpoint it looks AU58, however I'm not seeing enough luster so I see the obverse as AU53 overall.

The reverse is tougher as at first glance it looks XF45, but the blending of the upper wheat lines and the lack of any discernable luster lead me to an XF40 grade for the reverse.  I always grade a coin by the worst side; which is the correct way; so that is how I reach my conclusion of XF40.

However as I noted that is from these photos, in hand I might have a different opinion.

On 8/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, Coinbuf said:

This is one of those coins that would have gotten a split grade back in the early ANACS days.

Since you mention the old split grading , I wouldn’t mind seeing that come back some day for circulated coins but I highly doubt it would … when I’m buying raw coins from German dealers over seas they grade split grading style for some older coins that show some wear but the reverse might look AU or MS . 

On 8/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, Coinbuf said:

No its not the hits that I have concerns over, its the overall look.   This is one of those coins that would have gotten a split grade back in the early ANACS days.   The obverse shows light rub on the coat, lower jawline, cheek, and forehead.   From a strict wear and mark standpoint it looks AU58, however I'm not seeing enough luster so I see the obverse as AU53 overall.

The reverse is tougher as at first glance it looks XF45, but the blending of the upper wheat lines and the lack of any discernable luster lead me to an XF40 grade for the reverse.  I always grade a coin by the worst side; which is the correct way; so that is how I reach my conclusion of XF40.

However as I noted that is from these photos, in hand I might have a different opinion.

Thank you for the grading tips, The front is nice and it does have a bit of luster on the bust but the field is mat on the reverse and the wheat lines on the left are untouched but the one on the right is just starting to merge and we also have a small die crack on that wheat stalk

S20210819_0016.jpg

S20210819_0015.jpg

Question: I visit other forums on occasion just to see what's going on in other areas.  I've noticed one in particular individual on another site (I'll refrain from saying their name) that has found umpteen beautiful coins, mostly varieties, and the guy has excellent photography skills and a great setup.  His coins are predominantly LWC's and they are all found in the wild for the most part.  However, he HAS to be putting something on his coins that give them a brilliant appearance and sheen....making them look extremely better in appearance than when he found them I'm sure.  Anyone know what this may be?  I haven't asked this guy because I don't really want to participate there and have to set up an account.  I'm thinking maybe Versacare? I've never used the stuff before, only used extra virgin olive oil to remove gunk on some Lincolns, but even the olive oil makes an old Linc. come back to life.  Any input?  Thanks!

On 8/19/2021 at 1:56 PM, GBrad said:

Question: I visit other forums on occasion just to see what's going on in other areas.  I've noticed one in particular individual on another site (I'll refrain from saying their name) that has found umpteen beautiful coins, mostly varieties, and the guy has excellent photography skills and a great setup.  His coins are predominantly LWC's and they are all found in the wild for the most part.  However, he HAS to be putting something on his coins that give them a brilliant appearance and sheen....making them look extremely better in appearance than when he found them I'm sure.  Anyone know what this may be?  I haven't asked this guy because I don't really want to participate there and have to set up an account.  I'm thinking maybe Versacare? I've never used the stuff before, only used extra virgin olive oil to remove gunk on some Lincolns, but even the olive oil makes an old Linc. come back to life.  Any input?  Thanks!

Actually going to post this as a question in its individual thread. But, please answer here if you'd like and know anything about what I'm talking about.  Thanks!

On 8/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, Coinbuf said:

XF40 from these photos, the obverse could pass for AU but the reverse holds it down.

Agreed 100%!  This is one of those coins that one side brings down some.

On 8/19/2021 at 10:15 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Thank you for the grading tips, The front is nice and it does have a bit of luster on the bust but the field is mat on the reverse and the wheat lines on the left are untouched but the one on the right is just starting to merge and we also have a small die crack on that wheat stalk

Thanks for those additional photos JP, your reverse photo in the op must have had something on the plastic or the lens which made the lines look blurry.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

Thanks for those additional photos JP, your reverse photo in the op must have had something on the plastic or the lens which made the lines look blurry.

I thank you again. I know you know a penny when you see one LoL. and a XF40 is not a bad grade for one of these old catalog coin holders. I will put it in with the old mint sets I have;)