• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is meant by 'walkthrough'?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2021 at 11:08 PM, RWB said:

It refers to attending a coin show ('bourse') where the authentication company has a booth set up. You take you coin to the booth in person, complete paperwork and pay. The company will then examine and process your coin for return to you at the same show. That is: you will walk the coin through the authentication and grading process. (All you really do is turn in the coin, pay them, and return when they tell you to.)

Just curious RWB and thanks for your comment, and not that I have money to burn like that, but if you do a 'walkthrough' at a coin show with a TPG do they slab it on the spot just like they would with a regular submission?  

Edited by GBrad

On 8/18/2021 at 12:05 PM, James Zyskowski said:

And if I could please just one more question. When you do a walk through at a show do they slab em there? or as I suspect they mail them but just don’t know 🤓. Thanks again 

USUALLY they do them there. But so far not since COVID. My 2014 clad high relief Kennedy halves were submitted at the show and picked up at the show. Mine were the first two submitted. They did a much cheaper walkthrough for those coins in particular. It was the only way to get the show label. 

I was at a meeting once next door from a slabbing room at a show. VERY odd sounding thing - the making of the seal. 

Edited by VKurtB

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Typically, show walkthrough grading is offered for submissions received no later than Thursday. The coins are slabbed and delivered onsite, usually in two days time, though the ones taken in on Thursday have to be completed by Friday. Onsite grading is offered by NGC at the Winter and Summer FUN shows and at the Spring and Summer ANA conventions. The recent ANA in Rosemont was an exception, as there was too much uncertainty due to Covid restrictions to allow for it in time.